Old 09-17-2019, 08:47 AM   #1
Guru

City: Victoria TX
Vessel Name: Bijou
Vessel Model: 2008 Island Packet steadysailer
Getting to Green Turtle Cay to check on damaged boat

So far Iíve still been unable to get to GTC to check on my boat. I had a flight arranged Saturday the 14th with a seat on a charter plane that would have given me about 5 hours to check on the boat, but that was when then TS Humberto was due to hit the area and I didnít feel like flying into that, and even if we could land I didnít know if I could get a boat ride over from Treasure Cay (where the mostly destroyed airport is) to GTC, where the boat is and back in 5 hours.

I did get an ďon the groundĒ report that the boat is still upright on its stands in the yard, but the mast is broken, solar panels are blown off, and Iím sure some other damage I donít know about. With the mast damaged so badly Iím now wondering if the boat has filled full of rain water leaking past the mast boot. I also still donít know if sea water got into the boat. If water did in fact get inside, I canít imagine how bad the interior is now after going on almost three weeks of hot muggy weather. I talked to the insurance company agent yesterday (not the adjuster) and she said I should prepare myself for it to be totaled. The adjuster is still trying to get a surveyor there to take a look at the boat, but he has also had trouble getting there obviously.

I have secured a berth on a sailboat leaving Florida later this month, or as soon as the weather looks clear enough to make it there and back. It would be a two day trip to get there, and they are planning to stay three days and deliver some supplies. The boat owners have been to GTC and other Bahamas islands many times over the years so they are experienced, and their boat/home seems up to the task from pictures and description. Itís a 48í pilothouse ketch.

However now, after the insurance agent said that, Iím starting to wonder why Iím going over there. My wife thinks a 7 day cruise with some folks I donít know is a little crazy (she doesnít want to go). I didnít really think so, but maybe Iím being too emotional and ignoring the crazy. My initial reason for wanting to go was to rig up and aux solar panel I have in the boat to keep the batteries from being discharged, but itís been so long now that may have already happened? Also, I wanted to get a few things off the boat (some small electronics like VHF handheld, Garmin Inreach, my drone, GoPro, etc). I also have a new life raft inside the pilothouse in its soft case I could salvage, along with my outboard (if still there) and nice Rocna anchor since Iím going over by sailboat (if they have room for all that big stuff). So maybe $5000-6000 worth of stuff I could get off the boat. Is that worth it? Suppose I could claim some of that on insurance however.

What say you folks? Should I stay or should I go now? I need to make an unemotional decision.

cardude01 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 08:54 AM   #2

City: Jacksonville
Vessel Name: Sentinel
Vessel Model: GB 36 Motoryacht
What would you be doing with your time if you don’t take a week to go to the Bahamas and check on the boat?? Other than worrying about the boat?

Glad I don’t have to worry about it. I would probably go. But then I’m retired. I would try to get whatever background information I could get on the boat and Crew you’re planning to go with.

dhrowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 08:56 AM   #3
Guru

Oh yeah, should have mentioned that Iím retired, so no real time constraints.
Old 09-17-2019, 08:57 AM   #4

City: Rochester, NY
Vessel Name: Hour Glass
Vessel Model: Chris Craft Catalina 381
Depending on what you left powered up (refrigeration, etc.) it's possible that your power draw has been low enough that there's still power for the bilge pumps to take care of any rain water leakage, etc.

Personally, I'd go check it out. You'll be happier knowing what shape things are in and if nothing else, it'll be a fun adventure considering the sail out and back.
rslifkin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 09:01 AM   #5
Guru

Nothing powered up other than the bilge pumps. Batteries are four year old Lifeline AGMs that were still in good shape- my big solar panels that blew off were keeping them at 100%.
Old 09-17-2019, 09:02 AM   #6
Guru

Vessel Name: SONAS
Vessel Model: Grand Alaskan 53
Well since we're talking crazy....

Have you looked into what it would cost to rent a twin engine center console from West Palm for three or four days - if they will allow you to take it out of the country and to the Bahamas?

Half a day there, a couple of days there (if you can even find a place to stay), and a half day back.
menzies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 09:05 AM   #7
Guru

The thought of renting a fast boat crossed my mind, and Iíve been trying to hitch a ride on some of the boats that went over delivering supplies, but they were all just long one day trips there and back. There is really no place to stay on GTC or Treasure from what Iím reading. Thatís why the sailboat idea with a place to sleep sounded good. I could possibly sleep in my boat if itís dry (I have some 12v fans), but what are the odds itís actually dry?
Old 09-17-2019, 09:48 AM   #8

City: Rochester, NY
Vessel Name: Hour Glass
Vessel Model: Chris Craft Catalina 381
Quote:
Originally Posted by cardude01 View Post
Nothing powered up other than the bilge pumps. Batteries are four year old Lifeline AGMs that were still in good shape- my big solar panels that blew off were keeping them at 100%.
In that case, it's unlikely the batteries are dead at this point and even if things are damp from water that's gotten in, you probably don't have any standing water in the boat.
rslifkin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 10:11 AM   #9
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
At this moment, crossing to GTC isn't much of a good option. We just returned home from NC last night and would love to get out on the water but no decent conditions for the next week. Gets better then.

Now, I'd want to take the first decent means over there, whether flight or boat or combination, but a long sail with people I don't know and uncertainty about getting back wouldn't be my choice.

Had you considered getting to West End and then from there getting a fishing charter captain or some other means to take you to GTC for a day? West End is very accessible right now and easy to clear in there as well. Perhaps talk to the people at Old Bahama Bay. I'm like you in that I'd like to see, just to see if the boat is salvageable. Salvaging $5000-6000 worth of items isn't my reasoning as it could cost you $3000 or more to get there and back, especially if you had to use a charter.

There have been many boats to go with supplies from Miami to GTC and spend a day or two there. You might check with them and see if any of them could use an extra hand. Perhaps check with the Global Empowerment Mission in Miami.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 10:36 AM   #10
Guru

Vessel Name: SONAS
Vessel Model: Grand Alaskan 53
[Edit: never mind, I was thinking of the road from Little to Great Abaco and the bridge there - you can't get from WE to Abaco by road]
menzies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 11:22 AM   #11
Guru

City: Cary, NC
Vessel Name: Skinny Dippin'
Vessel Model: Navigator 4200 Classic
Is chartering a helicopter an option?
Old 09-17-2019, 11:34 AM   #12
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom.B View Post
Is chartering a helicopter an option?
There are helicopter charter services in South Florida that will take you to the Bahamas. South Beach Helicopters is one. Since they say their one day trips start as low as $1900, I'd assume that would be Bimini and the trip being discussed would be more in the range of $5000-6000.
Old 09-17-2019, 11:59 AM   #13
Veteran Member

City: New Orleans
Vessel Name: Czech Mate
Vessel Model: President 41
Seaplane would probably be significantly cheaper than a helicopter.
jsplichal2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 12:08 PM   #14
Guru

I looked into some charter flights. Island Tyme seemed to be the most affordable, and it was $2200 round trip. Would be nice to split that cost with a few folks. Anyone want to go?
Old 09-17-2019, 12:57 PM   #15
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardude01 View Post
I looked into some charter flights. Island Tyme seemed to be the most affordable, and it was $2200 round trip. Would be nice to split that cost with a few folks. Anyone want to go?
Can they go into GTC now? If so, that's your best bet.
Old 09-17-2019, 01:42 PM   #16
Guru

Yes, they can go to Treasure now. Then I have to take a boat across to GTC. I think a ferry is running now.

Yeah, this sounds better as far as time for sure, but donít know if I can lug back a life raft and other big stuff, but will check.
Old 09-17-2019, 02:11 PM   #17
Guru

City: Carrabelle, FL
Vessel Name: Morgan
Vessel Model: '05 Mainship 40T
Hey cardude.

I've been thinking about your situation, and I really feel for you. Our old went through a storm there at the yard, not as bad as Dorian, obviously, and I was sick about it. I don't blame you for wanting to go.

O e thought, have you considered tieing it into a volunteer relief trip? Do so.e work on your boat for a day or so, then lend a hand with other things? I'm planning on going over with all hearts and hands sometime in the 4rh quarter of this year, as soon as they have a trip organized.

Good luck.
Dougcole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 02:19 PM   #18
Guru

This sailboat trip is also a supply/relief trip. They planned on loading the boat up with supplies and helping out a few days. They know some folks on GTC.
Old 09-17-2019, 02:27 PM   #19
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr. dude et al. I must be out of the loop. Didn't Bahamian officials request that all but organized "professional" relief stay away from the severely effected areas? NOT to dissuade you, in ANY way, Mr. dude but might you be adding to any confusion there?
Old 09-17-2019, 02:37 PM   #20

City: SOBX North Carolina
Pardon me if I sound a bit cold. But it does sound like you are throwing it out for other peoples opinion. But depending on how long you have owned the boat if you main reason for going to an attempt to salvage 5 to 6 grand of stuff, then without having a strong emotional attachment to the boat, I would let the insurance company deal with it first. You do state the outboard is probably gone. The same may be with the liferaft too.

Having water inside for 3 weeks will not totally trash the boat hull. But your interior parts , on board engine and related parts coupled with the need to completely rewire the boat even with the fluff and puff stuff destroyed, I would cut my losses.

This could eat up the reported 175,000 ?value easily, forget about the down time for rehab. What year is the boat? Ad I would not go over with anyone that you do not know or have spent any time with on another boat. You are at the mercy of them and you do not really know what you may or may not find.

By the way my sons FIL has been making some trips over and will give him a call later this evening