get rid of or shortening the bow pulpit

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The USCG has a very specific definition for it: the longitudinal distance from the forward most part of the stem to the after most part of the stern, excluding things which are not part of the molded hull, i.e. bow pulpits, swim platforms, etc.

Do you know where that's documented? I've always wondered where that definition came from. I've heard it before, but it doesn't match how the term is used just about everywhere else.

Not really....never had to worry about bow pulpits and swim platforms till marinas started charging for them...or try to keep fairways clear of them.

Thankfully many marinas still don't care and will accept true LOA or model length as way off as that is.

The first time we came down the West Coast, when we went through California as a transiant, we were measured more than once as we were paying by the foot not by the slip. It was an eye opener but realized we were about 5’ over our documented length on 42’ model boat. The bow pulpit and windvane easily put us over. Hobo, a KK42, is documented at 43’ but is about 46’ with the bow pulpit and swim platform. Right now we’re paying for a 45’ slip not the actual length.

I own a slip I believe is 75X18. My boat OAL (documented) 34'6", excluding the pulpit and the swim platform. The beam is (documented) 13'3". That means I must pack a lunch just to untie the boat. SMIRK

Do you know where that's documented? I've always wondered where that definition came from. I've heard it before, but it doesn't match how the term is used just about everywhere else.

Simple. Google it, or break out your Chapman's.

Occupying an over-sized berth, we have one less worry. :)

Specific citation: 46 CFR 170.55 (K,2). Careful when educating yourself with boating stuff. You're liable to be highly resented for it.

The first time we came down the West Coast, when we went through California as a transiant, we were measured more than once as we were paying by the foot not by the slip. It was an eye opener but realized we were about 5’ over our documented. ...

From my experience in the SF area, transients are usually charged by the boat's length while rentals are charged by the size of the berth. :ermm:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom