Old 10-04-2018, 06:28 PM   #21
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Ka Sea Ta, don't let your current slip limit you too much. I also own a slip so I get it, but I think it would be better to sell your slip than to "make do" with a boat that doesn't meet your needs or modifying a boat in a negative way to fit the slip. Not saying that is what you have in mind but...

If I needed a bigger (or smaller) slip, at this point I think I would just rent my slip out and find myself a different slip to rent. However, if I factor in the time value of money, I'd be better to sell the slip and invest the proceeds. I guess I'm just saying don't discount the idea of using a different slip if the right boat comes along.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 08:12 PM   #22

City: Puget Sound
Dave,I already have one of the larger slips at Harborview... We are snow birds and kept the Defever out at the end for a few years...I was always amazed at how much additional cleaning and maintenance needed to be done because the boat sat out uncovered over the winter....Finally I got fed up and sold the boat... So for me a covered slip is a must... Like I said if I can get the stored LOA somewhere around 47 to 48 it would work... I'm just exploring options right now...

Ka_sea_ta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 08:58 PM   #23
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ka_sea_ta View Post
Dave,I already have one of the larger slips at Harborview... We are snow birds and kept the Defever out at the end for a few years...I was always amazed at how much additional cleaning and maintenance needed to be done because the boat sat out uncovered over the winter....Finally I got fed up and sold the boat... So for me a covered slip is a must... Like I said if I can get the stored LOA somewhere around 47 to 48 it would work... I'm just exploring options right now...

Yeah, every time I wash the boat I start to look at the boathouses for sale at the TYC basin.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 09:02 PM   #24
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Best to purchase a boat that already fits one's needs. My bow has little overhang and the swim platform folds up.
Old 10-05-2018, 05:41 AM   #25
Guru

City: Meydenbauer Bay Yacht Club
Vessel Name: Lulu (Refugio sold)
Another thing to consider is why thereís such a firm restriction on LOA - itís usually tied to keeping a fairway clear. You know, for maneuvering. My club has a lot of folks who pushed this to the max - we have more than a dozen of those 4788/Meridians - and many of them have trouble maneuvering in/out of their slips. This is one of the issues that pushed me from a single screw trawler to a twin waterjet with thruster. I get the desire to max out your slip but there are downstream issues.
Old 10-05-2018, 09:07 AM   #26
Guru

City: Southern Maine
Vessel Model: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser
I removed the pulpit on mine to fit in the slip. It wasn't an easy decision, but one I don't regret, 5 years later.

It was the boat I wanted, and I wasn't about to try to sell my slip and buy a new one just for this boat. It was either pass on the boat, or remove the pulpit.

I fabricated a hinged anchor roller support to replace it, using 1/2" plate aluminum. Very easy to work with, strong, and took paint pretty well. I will need to re-paint the bottom part at some point, but 5 years and counting, on a paint job, is not bad.

Hanging out into the fairway was not an option. Not only would it be against our marina rules and a hazard to navigation, but folks who bought a larger slip would be irate at anyone who bought a smaller slip and hung out.

A couple of pics...

CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 02:27 PM   #27

City: Gulf Shores, Alabama
Vessel Name: Holly Day
Vessel Model: Marine Trader 44
As a sideline to the OP, LOA is one of those myriad misunderstood terms in boating. The USCG has a very specific definition for it: the longitudinal distance from the forward most part of the stem to the after most part of the stern, excluding things which are not part of the molded hull, i.e. bow pulpits, swim platforms, etc. Don't try to argue this point with marina managers. Adhering to the official definition of LOA would cost them money.
Captain K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 03:16 PM   #28
Guru

City: Calgary
Vessel Name: Blue Sky
Vessel Model: Nordic Tugs 42 Hull #001
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradenvlp View Post
There is a 4788 on my dock (we have firm restrictions on length) that fashioned their pulpit to hinge up. Looks pretty functional.
Yes, I've seen that on a Bayliner 45 (4588?) at the dock here in the past. The owner said it worked very well. It was a wood pulpit.
Conrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 04:37 PM   #29

City: SoCal and Vancouver Island
Vessel Name: Northern Sky
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain K View Post
As a sideline to the OP, LOA is one of those myriad misunderstood terms in boating. The USCG has a very specific definition for it: the longitudinal distance from the forward most part of the stem to the after most part of the stern, excluding things which are not part of the molded hull, i.e. bow pulpits, swim platforms, etc. Don't try to argue this point with marina managers. Adhering to the official definition of LOA would cost them money.
I donít doubt that you are correct regarding the USCG definition, but most of the rest of humankind considers Length Over All to be the over all length. Just sayiní.
guy with a boat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 05:43 PM   #30
Guru

City: AICW
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Not really....never had to worry about bow pulpits and swim platforms till marinas started charging for them...or try to keep fairways clear of them.

Thankfully many marinas still don't care and will accept true LOA or model length as way off as that is.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 05:56 PM   #31
Guru

City: Southern Maine
Vessel Model: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain K View Post
The USCG has a very specific definition for it: the longitudinal distance from the forward most part of the stem to the after most part of the stern, excluding things which are not part of the molded hull, i.e. bow pulpits, swim platforms, etc.
Do you know where that's documented? I've always wondered where that definition came from. I've heard it before, but it doesn't match how the term is used just about everywhere else.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 06:15 PM   #32
TF Site Team

City: JAX, FL
Vessel Name: Hobo
Vessel Model: Krogen 42-120
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
Not really....never had to worry about bow pulpits and swim platforms till marinas started charging for them...or try to keep fairways clear of them.

Thankfully many marinas still don't care and will accept true LOA or model length as way off as that is.
The first time we came down the West Coast, when we went through California as a transiant, we were measured more than once as we were paying by the foot not by the slip. It was an eye opener but realized we were about 5’ over our documented length on 42’ model boat. The bow pulpit and windvane easily put us over. Hobo, a KK42, is documented at 43’ but is about 46’ with the bow pulpit and swim platform. Right now we’re paying for a 45’ slip not the actual length.
Larry M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 06:42 PM   #33
Guru

City: Aventura FL
Vessel Name: Kinja
Vessel Model: American Tug 34 #116
I own a slip I believe is 75X18. My boat OAL (documented) 34'6", excluding the pulpit and the swim platform. The beam is (documented) 13'3". That means I must pack a lunch just to untie the boat. SMIRK
Old 10-13-2018, 08:09 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptTom View Post
Do you know where that's documented? I've always wondered where that definition came from. I've heard it before, but it doesn't match how the term is used just about everywhere else.
Simple. Google it, or break out your Chapman's.
Old 10-13-2018, 08:14 PM   #35
Master and Commander

Occupying an over-sized berth, we have one less worry.
Old 10-13-2018, 08:16 PM   #36

Specific citation: 46 CFR 170.55 (K,2). Careful when educating yourself with boating stuff. You're liable to be highly resented for it.
Old 10-13-2018, 09:21 PM   #37
Master and Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry M View Post
The first time we came down the West Coast, when we went through California as a transiant, we were measured more than once as we were paying by the foot not by the slip. It was an eye opener but realized we were about 5’ over our documented. ...
From my experience in the SF area, transients are usually charged by the boat's length while rentals are charged by the size of the berth.