Old 07-14-2014, 08:50 PM   #21
City: St. Pete, FL
Vessel Name: Seaweed
Vessel Model: Schucker mini-trawler
Send a message via AIM to janice142 Send a message via MSN to janice142 Send a message via Yahoo to janice142 Send a message via Skype™ to janice142
Originally Posted by healhustler View Post
That boat has a massive mast and boom, R/V Air Conditioner, much bigger hand rails, a huge cradle for the dinghy. That's all well above the CG, and sometimes they hoist that heavy dinghy up on that cradle. Here I am, counting pounds and ounces added above the CG on everything I do, and this guy is out there doing blue water!
It's my understanding that Ted and Sarah have their 13' Caribe attached to the transom universal joint always when underway. The cradle is for when they stop and are docked as I recall....

The railings are substantial. You (er, I!) feel secure. They did add an RV a/c unit to the pilothouse which cools it nicely when they are up there. The main unit handles the lower deck/forward area.

His anchoring system and components are large -- and the snubber comes right above the waterline for a good angle. He has a wash-down hose for rinsing the chain as it comes up -- that's spiffy too.

Ted and Sarah are quite the couple. I admire their ingenuity. The boat is home and that's always fun. And like all boats that are home, it's the small touches that make their Manatee special. Mostly though it's the couple themselves though. I was fortunate to meet them.

Good times onboard Manatee: (and no, as a matter of fact I do not have any pictures without Patches tail in full motion)

Janice aboard Seaweed, living the good life afloat...
janice142 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 09:07 PM   #22
City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Again getting home is not #1. Getting to a safe place is. Bucking winds and/or current? Usually or lots of the time getting to that safe place may be going with the current or wind. So only enough power to move to the other side if the channel may get one to the safe place.

The idea of needing enough power to buck currents and wind is not addressing the problem objectively unless you want to throw tons of money into the boat. Perhaps a new engine would be money better spent.

A dedicated power system is great when the engine quits but it seems to be a rare event. And if it's not most of the support for single engine boats I hear on this forum is misplaced. Get a twin.

I'd like a twin but it's a lot of money.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 03:34 AM   #23
City: Adelaide
Vessel Name: Kokanee
Vessel Model: Cuddles 30 Pilot House Motor Sailer
As we don't have a tow service, and very little boat traffic of any type, it was always in the back of my mind when shopping for a boat.
Sails work for me.
Although the only time I have needed them for "get home" duty (when my starter motor failed) - it was dead calm without a breath of wind. I was only a few hundred meters from a wharf where I could tie up, so I sculled the boat user my rudder. Slow - but effective in calm water.

AusCan is offline   Reply With Quote