Old 07-08-2019, 10:52 AM   #1

City: Georgetown, SC
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 36 Classic
Georgetown Landing Marina, SC - my new favorite

I just need to share my new favorite marina with all of you on this forum. My husband and I did some boat slip shopping on Winyah Bay yesterday. (We have a Grand Banks 36 under contract; fingers crossed that the survey doesn't give us any surprises and Georgetown, SC becomes her new home).

After going to a few marinas in the area, we went down to Georgetown Landing Marina right off of Pee Dee River, ICW, MM403.
https://georgetownlandingmarina.com/

The great vibe was immediately felt and we knew we didn't need to look any further. The guys working on a Sunday welcomed us warmly, and someone else offered us fried fish he had just put out for guests.

While everyone in G'town is super friendly, this crew took it up a notch in our opinion, and I hope you find the same when cruising through SC.

- Michelle

SCarolinaGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 09:32 PM   #2
Guru

City: Huntersville NC
Vessel Name: Abeona
Vessel Model: Marine Trader 47í Sundeck
We were there a year and a half ago. Awesome place! We loved it. We would take the boat around the corner to downtown Georgetown and tie up at the free city docks and walk around and eat at the great restaurants. We had a 31’ Mainship at the time. We were there for the solar eclipse.

But....the marina isn’t protected....at all. Just a standard summer storm south of the marina would send 3’ swells in. All the boats were bow slamming in their slips. There also a lot of current so it makes it challenging.

They said they were trying to get some sort of sea wall or something to protect the marina. That would make a huge difference.

The only reason we left was because one of the hurricanes were coming and they evict the entire marina because it’s unprotected. We ended up running to Myrtle Beach. Great area for the kids, but the boating was boring.

Congrats on the new boat!

Steve91T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 07:54 AM   #3

City: Georgetown, SC
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 36 Classic
Thank you for the insight about the exposure to the elements. We noticed the strong current as well, but of course haven't experienced a storm there. I appreciate the feedback!
SCarolinaGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 01:32 PM   #4
Guru

City: Huntersville NC
Vessel Name: Abeona
Vessel Model: Marine Trader 47í Sundeck
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCarolinaGirl View Post
Thank you for the insight about the exposure to the elements. We noticed the strong current as well, but of course haven't experienced a storm there. I appreciate the feedback!
The nice thing is the slips are aligned with the current so itís not a deal breaker at all.

Nothing like the currents at Folly Beach! Talking about a steep learning curve!

https://youtu.be/yDxnvvnc4Xk
Steve91T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 02:12 PM   #5
Guru

City: Upstate,SC
Vessel Name: Caroliner
Vessel Model: 28' Spira San Miguel
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCarolinaGirl View Post
I just need to share my new favorite marina with all of you on this forum. My husband and I did some boat slip shopping on Winyah Bay yesterday. (We have a Grand Banks 36 under contract; fingers crossed that the survey doesn't give us any surprises and Georgetown, SC becomes her new home).

After going to a few marinas in the area, we went down to Georgetown Landing Marina right off of Pee Dee River, ICW, MM403.
https://georgetownlandingmarina.com/

The great vibe was immediately felt and we knew we didn't need to look any further. The guys working on a Sunday welcomed us warmly, and someone else offered us fried fish he had just put out for guests.

While everyone in G'town is super friendly, this crew took it up a notch in our opinion, and I hope you find the same when cruising through SC.

- Michelle
Those guys pull out all the stuff in hopes of getting those big multimillion dollar yachts to come in. Boating is 90% word of mouth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve91T View Post
The nice thing is the slips are aligned with the current so itís not a deal breaker at all.

Nothing like the currents at Folly Beach! Talking about a steep learning curve!

https://youtu.be/yDxnvvnc4Xk

I agree and I avoid Folly. I believe that's why it's named Folly. It's defined as an act of foolishness.

ben2go is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat docks, marinas