Geography Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

scurvy-yard-dog

Veteran Member
I keep seeing references to the Bahamas being bathed by the warm waters of the Caribbean. If that's true, wouldn't southern Florida also be in the Caribbean?

I guess it doesn't really matter because, it is what it is, but I'm kind of curious.

I keep seeing references to the Bahamas being bathed by the warm waters of the Caribbean. If that's true, wouldn't southern Florida also be in the Caribbean?

I guess it doesn't really matter because, it is what it is, but I'm kind of curious.

Well, the Bahamas are not in the Caribbean. The Caribbean Sea's northern boundary is Cuba and the Antilles.

Doesn't mean the Bahamas and SE Florida don't have warm waters and don't receive flow north from the Caribbean. Today the water temperature in Miami is 73 degrees, Fort Lauderdale is 74 degrees, Key West is 70. Havana is 77. Nassau is 77 degrees. So with the effect of the Gulf Stream and other flows, the Bahamas does get the flow of warm water and is warmer than Florida.

As a similar situation, the water temperature right now is 70 in Bermuda, but Southport, NC is 51 degrees. Even Jacksonville, FL water is only 59 degrees today.

Back
Top Bottom