Old 09-02-2018, 03:02 PM   #1
Guru

City: Victoria TX
Vessel Name: Bijou
Vessel Model: 2008 Island Packet PY/SP
Would it be crazy to go from Tampa Bay inlet to Pensacola?

Looks like about 280 NM. I did the crossing from Clearwater to Panama City (about 180nm) two years ago and the boat did fine (though rolly as hell). Looking to try a longer crossing to test out the sails more extensively. Is this a decent time of year to try it? It would be nice to have 10-15 knot winds and not crazy rough seas.

Obviously I would need to watch out for tropical storms, but I should be able to get a three day weather window right?
cardude01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 03:31 PM   #2
Guru

City: St Augustine,Fl
not crazy at all, just watch wx.
Old 09-02-2018, 03:32 PM   #3
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
In the boat...in a hearbeat.

Just watch the weather like a hawk....had one form around me sailing from Key West to Miami back in the early 80s....but you have much better weather guessing now.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 04:06 PM   #4
Valued Technical Contributor

City: Litchfield, Ct
In your boat, not a problem. You should be able to make it in less than 48 hours, right?

Assuming you have no long range weather receiving capability you will be beyond vhf/cell range for only about 150 NM or about a day and it will be the first day.

Weather forecasting has improved significantly and the chances of getting caught in an unexpected tropical storm during that period is near nil.

So no sweat as I see it.

David
DavidM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 05:50 PM   #5

City: Charlotte NC
What length is your Island Packet?
fred024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 08:03 PM   #6
Guru

41’ but it’s not a traditional sailboat. Has big windows in the pilothouse, a shallow 4’ keel, and can’t take huge seas. Or at least not with me on it. [emoji41]
Old 09-02-2018, 08:03 PM   #7
Guru

I figure it will take about 36 hours at 6.5 knots.
Old 09-02-2018, 11:51 PM   #8
Guru

City: Boston Area
One thing to be aware of is that your farthest distance from shore will be at the very beginning of your journey. You could hedge your bet a little by goinng due north for 5 hours or so. That way your max distance from shore is greatly reduced, and delayed until later in the trip. I'm sure you'll be fine either way though.

Do you know the range of your vhf setup, and the location of the USCG stations enroute ?
Benthic2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 05:39 AM   #9
FF
Guru

Wait at least 24 hours after you get a favorable wind.

The early breeze kicks up the 3-4 ft waves that will knock you around , after a day the waves will be bigger but much further apart , good sailing.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 07:33 AM   #10
Guru

Would it be crazy to go from Tampa Bay inlet to Pensacola?

Don’t really know the range of my VHF,but the antenna is on top of the mast so it’s pretty decent I think. 20-30 miles? I also have a Spot receiver I used last time in the Bahamas.

Fred: thanks for the tip on the waiting on the swell to settle down.

I wonder if I will be dodging thunderstorms the entire way? Last summer sailing in the Bahamas I seemed to be constantly running away from (but usually getting caught) by thunderstorms. Some pretty strong with 30 knots of wind iirc. I was in the Sea of Abaco however so it never got that rough, but in the Gulf it might be more interesting. I will have to be more aware of storms coming and get the sails in quicker than I did in the Bahamas. I stupidly sailed into a couple of thunderstorms because I didn’t furl the sails soon enough and by the time the wind kicked up it was too late to turn the boat into the wind and furl the main. That furling main is hard to get back in for me when the wind is blowing hard. Boat has to be pointing directly into the wind and and it’s just clunky with the sail flogging around like crazy. But I’m probably doing it wrong.
Old 09-03-2018, 07:37 AM   #11

City: Florida
Vessel Model: 420AC Sea Ray
I would not do it this time of year.

Some pretty nasty stuff pops up quickly on a regular basis in the gulf in that area and by mid week we will have a tropical storm.

I would shoot to Panama City from Tarpon.
k9medic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 09:10 AM   #12
FF
Guru

" thanks for the tip on the waiting on the swell to settle down."

NO ,NO,NO, the little slop settles into nice big comfortable swells .

Swells will lift and perhaps speed the boat if in a good direction , slop simply rocks the boat or causes pitching.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 10:49 AM   #13
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by cardude01 View Post
Obviously I would need to watch out for tropical storms, but I should be able to get a three day weather window right?
Wifey B: Yeah, today wouldn't be the time to do it.

Thoughts out to those around Biloxi and Mobile and that whole area as Gordon doing his thing and headed for them. Looks like he'll be a bit stronger by the time he crosses the Gulf.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 11:36 AM   #14
Guru

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3881.JPG
Views:	78
Size:	180.4 KB
ID:	80499

Yeah, tomorrow would be a really bad day to be boating out in the gulf. [emoji41]
Old 09-03-2018, 03:25 PM   #15
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Quote:
Attachment 80499

Yeah, tomorrow would be a really bad day to be boating out in the gulf. [emoji41]
Wifey B: Worst I could see was 15' at 8 seconds. Now that's steep. That's a combination I've not encountered and no desire for.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 08:39 PM   #16
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Quote:
Don’t really know the range of my VHF,but the antenna is on top of the mast so it’s pretty decent I think. 20-30 miles? I also have a Spot receiver I used last time in the Bahamas.

Fred: thanks for the tip on the waiting on the swell to settle down.

I wonder if I will be dodging thunderstorms the entire way? Last summer sailing in the Bahamas I seemed to be constantly running away from (but usually getting caught) by thunderstorms. Some pretty strong with 30 knots of wind iirc. I was in the Sea of Abaco however so it never got that rough, but in the Gulf it might be more interesting. I will have to be more aware of storms coming and get the sails in quicker than I did in the Bahamas. I stupidly sailed into a couple of thunderstorms because I didn’t furl the sails soon enough and by the time the wind kicked up it was too late to turn the boat into the wind and furl the main. That furling main is hard to get back in for me when the wind is blowing hard. Boat has to be pointing directly into the wind and and it’s just clunky with the sail flogging around like crazy. But I’m probably doing it wrong.

A furling main can be difficult. Every rig is different but make sure the furling gear is lubed properly and often you will find that the main will furl more easily if it on one side or the other. Typically on the side where the sail doesn’t have to make as sharp a bend as it going into the furler. As such, often it is easier if you aren’t headed directly into the wind but are slightly off the wind so the sail moves to the favored side for the furler. You can control it then with mainsheet tension.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 09:44 PM   #17
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhays View Post
A furling main can be difficult. Every rig is different but make sure the furling gear is lubed properly and often you will find that the main will furl more easily if it on one side or the other. Typically on the side where the sail doesn’t have to make as sharp a bend as it going into the furler. As such, often it is easier if you aren’t headed directly into the wind but are slightly off the wind so the sail moves to the favored side for the furler. You can control it then with mainsheet tension.

Interesting. Thanks. I will experiment with that next time I’m out.
Old 09-04-2018, 01:29 PM   #18

City: Florida
Vessel Name: Mersea
Vessel Model: Marquis 59
Maybe I misunderstood. Tampa Bay to Clearwater is only 20 or so NM. Surprised that it showed to be a 100 NM on the trip.
FootballFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 01:54 PM   #19

City: Foley, Alabama
Vessel Name: GITANA
Vessel Model: Sea Ranger 47 Pilothouse
I've done that Tampa-Pensacola route perhaps 8-10 times in both sail and trawler. As others have said, key is to watch the weather like a hawk. Alternatively, you might want to shorten the distance you're exposed to potential bad stuff by coasting north to either Clearwater or Tarpon Springs, then shoot over to Carabelle (about 144 NM), entering the GIWW between Dog Island and St. George Island. The inside route via the GIWW westbound from there is spectacular! Obviously you'll need to check your mast height against fixed bridge clearances. Good luck!
Captain K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 04:59 PM   #20
Guru

Awesome. Thanks. My mast is only 40’.