Old 06-22-2015, 08:09 PM   #81
TF Site Team

City: California Delta and SF Bay
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: Marshall Californian 34 LRC
Oh Eric, admit it...you have a low noise threshold. Your engine's too small, you've got no generator - wind or internal combustion, hell...even a windlass would be noisy on your boat! I think you limit your anchor chain because of the splashing noise it makes on deployment and retrieval.

Custom Google Trawler Forum Search
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 10:05 PM   #82
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Al,
Yes you're right ... I don't like noise and part of it is getting old. But there's millions of people out there suffering from noise in this country that don't say anything about it. They say it's the squeaky wheel that gets the grease so the noise makers may be benifiting. When someone pulls up alongside me w a loud Diesel engine or a boom box or both I just roll up my windows. And this summer I'll probably run into this anchorage problem. But here I can say I don't like it. What did they do on cruisers before gen sets and AC? Copious amounts of sweat I suppose.

The real question as I see it is ....... How much grief is caused by generator noise in anchorages v/s how much grief is caused by the lack of power? If it's more grief by noise the gens should be shut and if it's more grief caused by lack of power benifits then the gens shoud run. But as it stands the gen people have the power to do as they please. I can be quiet for 99 years and nobody will hear my plea. The generator people can use them .... because they can.

And Al I don't have a generator because I don't need it.
And if you had my capstan you'd kick it overboard ... because it makes so much noise. It's unbelieveable

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 12:25 AM   #83
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: "Sandpiper"
Vessel Model: 2006 42' Ocean Alexander Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyWright View Post
Oh Eric, admit it...you have a low noise threshold. Your engine's too small, you've got no generator - wind or internal combustion, hell...even a windlass would be noisy on your boat! I think you limit your anchor chain because of the splashing noise it makes on deployment and retrieval.

:r ofl:.........

My passion for improving my boat(s) exceeds my desire to constantly cruise them.
Codger2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 05:52 AM   #84
FF
Guru

how much grief is caused by the lack of power?

The selection of cruising equipment can easily be done to not require a noisemaker , with nthe exception of whole boat air cond.

It is a mind set , and certainly costs a bit more , but the biggest advantage is to the ships crew that doesn't have to hear , smell or maintain a noisemaker.

A month on the hook with no noisemaker and cold beer , and ice cream, no problem .
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 07:27 AM   #85

City: Edgewater, MD
Vessel Name: Catalina Jack
Vessel Model: Defever 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobH View Post

Totally agree on the Harleys, ugliest sounding internal combustion engine ever.
I do not own a motorcycle, never will, too dangerous. But the sound of a Harley is quintessentially American although some guys run them annoyingly loudly. Ever hear a flat-head Ford V-8 rumbling? It is as delicious as a Wooster St. (New Have, CT) pizza, Sally's, Pepe's, or Modern. Now here's another anchor fight in the making, best pizza. How about Patsy's at 120th St. In East Harlem?
catalinajack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 09:27 AM   #86
Guru

City: Tampa
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobH View Post
Totally agree on the Harleys, ugliest sounding internal combustion engine ever.
Sorry, but after riding most of my life, including a stint professionally as a motor cop, I'd have to disagree.

I've ridden everything from rice burners to big V-Twins.
While the straight piped Harleys can be obnoxious for a brief period, the Rice Rockets that sound like a mosquito on Steroids have to be the 2nd most obnoxious sound in the world!

1) Foreign Cars with "fart pipes."
2) Rice (crotch) rockets.
3) Fran Drescher's voice

OD
Old 06-23-2015, 10:31 AM   #87

City: louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Off Duty View Post
Sorry, but after riding most of my life, including a stint professionally as a motor cop, I'd have to disagree.

I've ridden everything from rice burners to big V-Twins.
While the straight piped Harleys can be obnoxious for a brief period, the Rice Rockets that sound like a mosquito on Steroids have to be the 2nd most obnoxious sound in the world!

1) Foreign Cars with "fart pipes."
2) Rice (crotch) rockets.
3) Fran Drescher's voice

OD
#3 had me blowing coffee out my nostrils

A link to one of the most amazing sounds ever created by man...a real Formula One engine- https://youtu.be/1JPBdBIFGNQ The surprise starts at 0:55 second mark...enjoy. My second favorite sound was the Aston Martin DBR9 LeMans GT car. Listening to them downshifting on entry at turn 5 at Road Atlanta then on the throttle at the apex would have my son and I grinning for 10 hours straight!
rardoin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 10:34 AM   #88
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
We live about 1/2 mile from a two lane fairly busy hwy that leads to a Mountian pass. Sometimes those _____ Harley's go by about 40 strong and it sounds like a freight train is going by flat out. That's not any pleasurable sound .... it's just an incredible amount of noise. Pleasure for the riders at our expense. You almost never see (hear) a Harley with propper mufflers. I'll admit a well tuned V twin at high rpm sounds nice from a half mile away.

Why is making noise so much fun for so many people? ..... With so little reguard for others. Off Duty I rode for most of my life too and had some bikes that were noisy (Kawasaki two stroke triple) but most were equipped w propper factory mufflers. And I rarely changed the factory muffs. My old girlfriend in college was right ... noise was to be a problem of the future. And here we are.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 10:39 AM   #89
Guru

City: Port Townsend Washington
Vessel Name: " OTTER "
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander Europa 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by manyboats View Post
We live about 1/2 mile from a two lane fairly busy hwy that leads to a Mountian pass. Sometimes those _____ Harley's go by about 40 strong and it sounds like a freight train is going by flat out. That's not any pleasurable sound .... it's just an incredible amount of noise. Pleasure for the riders at our expense. You almost never see (hear) a Harley with propper mufflers. I'll admit a well tuned V twin at high rpm sounds nice from a half mile away.

Why is making noise so much fun for so many people? ..... With so little reguard for others. Off Duty I rode for most of my life too and had some bikes that were noisy (Kawasaki two stroke triple) but most were equipped w propper factory mufflers. And I rarely changed the factory muffs. My old girlfriend in college was right ... noise was to be a problem of the future. And here we are.

In the motorcycle community they have a saying...

"noise saves lives"

I don't totally agree.. I ride a BMW

HOLLYWOOD
hollywood8118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 10:44 AM   #90
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
There is all kinds of noise and some bothers more than others.

Some just don't appreciate/ignore things that don't make their life go they way they want it.

I have heard complaints at an anchorage that not only had a busy bridge nearby...but also an airport...gimme a break.

I loved the absolutely quiet mornings fishing for salmon in the wilderness of Kodiak, Alaska....

Ha...I lied.....

I love to tell the stories of some really cool sounding bird that always seemed present and singing during Sockeye season, and the wind blowing through the alders, the bears crashing through the alders, the sound of bush planes buzzing through the passes.....

Silent???? Where...it is just what sounds and smells you can live with and ignore.

I find many just use anything that isn't in their plan as an excuse to try to change other's behaviors.

I have stated be courteous...that is entirely different than catering to the extreme at some point.

Sure...I would be less likely to run one in an Alaskan anchorage than in most populated anchorages in south Florida...but even then as I posted early...so many variables to consider. ...mostly for climate/vessel type/design that many I just don't think are thinking about.

One example...listening to one hour of bad guitar playing and singing from some free bird thinker type surely equals me running my nearly silent genset all night....
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 10:48 AM   #91

City: Westerly, RI
Vessel Name: N/A
Vessel Model: 1999 Mainship 350 Trawler
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
Sorry but it is not like cutting the lawn or trimming.

Sleeping at night in stifling environments, like in a boat with large engine mass that has run all day...AC is almost a necessity on many power boats...not something you can schedule from 9-5 every day.

Especially if you wind up cooking in an all electric galley after that days run.

Like I posted...takes both sides to be reasonable.

If poor and on a tiny sailboat with all the ports open and you cant sleep because of a tiny rumble and splash not too close by...well I feel for you.

The guy with the boat that needs AC and shows up late to an anchorage...well...make the call. Anchor further away or pay the price of your new title.

There is no etiquette as there are too many variables...all you can do is the best you can do under the circumstances....which isn't necessarily turning off your genset as some might have you believe.

I've been the guy on the little sailboat and the guy with the generator...it's not hard to figure out if you are a decent human being even if it means looking for anchorages where your genset wont be heard over the other ambient noises or the peacenick that can probably figure out where the Rodney Dangerfields of the world wont take their power cruisers.
If you're the only guy in the anchorage running your generator, then it is not the rest of us which are being inconsiderate. I'm sure there are many conditions which warrant it.

I'm sure in the Southeast US most people run them all night long. We don't do that in New England, mostly because we don't have too.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 10:51 AM   #92
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrew View Post
If you're the only guy in the anchorage running your generator, then it is not the rest of us which are being inconsiderate. I'm sure there are many conditions which warrant it.

I'm sure in the Southeast US most people run them all night long. We don't do that in New England, mostly because we don't have too.

Fine..I agree with that but the comparison was still way off base in my mind....

There are good reasons for or not running...

Each case can be completely different.

Even in a democracy not everyone gets their way...the world just isn't that perfect.
Old 06-23-2015, 11:37 AM   #93
TF Site Team

City: San Mateo, CA
Vessel Name: Pineapple Girl II
Vessel Model: PT 35
Eric thank you for clarifying your point, I understand where you are coming from now.
www.pineapple-girl.blogspot.com
Pineapple Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 11:57 AM   #94
Guru

If someone asks me which is more annoying...the occasional genset in the occasional anchorage or the constant chatter on cell phones....whoaaaaa.....

NOT EVEN CLOSE...

Some people are just contrary...at least I wait for the debateable or incorrect for the moment...and the boating world is something I am immersed in. My jobs, my home, my recreation......

Not just everything I don't like or approve of in the world.

Like boat shape, engine size, noise, color, motorcycle, cat, oil, antifreeze....etc...etc...etc...

People are allowed to have their own lives...even when I it slightly impacts me and I don't care for it.
Old 06-23-2015, 12:06 PM   #95
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
If someone asks me which is more annoying...the occasional genset in the occasional anchorage or the constant chatter on cell phones....whoaaaaa.....

NOT EVEN CLOSE...

Some people are just contrary...at least I wait for the debateable or incorrect for the moment...and the boating world is something I am immersed in. My jobs, my home, my recreation......

Not just everything I don't like or approve of in the world.

Like boat shape, engine size, noise, color, motorcycle, cat, oil, antifreeze....etc...etc...etc...

People are allowed to have their own lives...even when I it slightly impacts me and I don't care for it.
Tonight it will be 50 degrees in Juneau, 55 in San Francisco, 52 in Port Angeles. We would be using heat in either of those three places. Neither of those is warm enough today to avoid that need tonight. Juneau is actually the warmest of the three today.
BandB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 12:15 PM   #96
Guru

Nice thing about cold..there are a few heating options that don't involve a genset.

Though I'll bet some anti-genset'ters own diesel heaters that make gensets sound like purring kitties....gimme a break for the "who me?" crowd...

Hot, humid nights though are tough to beat. Many boats aren't set up for decent flow in all compartments and all the fans in the world some days just don't help.

Screens also can limit breezes and some anchorages and conditions mean screens or air.....if the breeze isn't enough...the genset is the only option.

Sure for some boats.... maybe solar with tiny ACs and inverters can be pretty quiet...

For many, a light hum and a little splashing shouldn't be the end of the world. It's more about who anchored close to whom should be the issue. If in a mooring field I lean to the no genset crowd. Tight quarters, some are there because docks are prohibitively expensive, there's no decent anchorage around...so yeah...they deserve a break if your genset is louder than a wisper.
Old 06-23-2015, 01:40 PM   #97
TF Site Team

City: SEWARD ALASKA
Vessel Name: LISAS WAY
Vessel Model: BAYLINER 4788
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry M View Post
In Alaska, during commercial fishing/crabbing season, the commercial guys run their generators 24/7's, at anchor and a lot of thime at the dock. I've yet but would love to see a rec. boater ask them to shut their generators off.
Every time I walk down the dock there is one or more commercial boats tied up. They all run their generators. Rarely can you hear the generator, but you can hear the splashing.

I don't think a thing about it. I too would love to see someone ask them to turn off their generator
www.mvlisasway.com
ksanders is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 02:16 PM   #98

City: Lafayette, LA
Vessel Name: presently boatless
Summer time along the Gulf Coast would be miserable without the use of AC at night. In fact I would not cruise in the summer if I didn't have a genny w/ AC. Besides, I'm hard of hearing and the muffled sounds of the purring genny along with running compressors helps me sleep. However, I do anchor downwind and starboard of everyone if possible.
ragin cajun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 02:18 PM   #99
Scraping Paint

City: -
I think psneeld put this discussion to rest way back at the start when he wrote (I'm paraphrasing) use your generator when you need it while being considerate of the other people around you. It's sort of a Golden Rule thing, at least for people who still know what that is.

As far as the hot nights, can't live without AC thing, I'm not going to argue that at all. I hate excessive heat, which for me starts at 80 degrees. My comfort zone is 50 to 65.

My music composer and I were discussing this just yesterday during a session. We concluded that man is, in fact, the dumbest creature on the planet. Because only man is stupid enough to try to live in an unsuitable climate (or builds cities below sea level and then relies on piled up dirt to keep him safe, but that's another topic).

So pay attention to what psneeld has been saying and act accordingly and (almost) everyone will be happy.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 02:30 PM   #100

City: Lafayette, LA
Vessel Name: presently boatless
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marin View Post
We concluded that man is, in fact, the dumbest creature on the planet. Because only man is stupid enough to try to live in an unsuitable climate (or builds cities below sea level and then relies on piled up dirt to keep him safe, but that's another topic).

So pay attention to what psneeld has been saying and act accordingly and (almost) everyone will be happy.
We got new big, big, pumps to drain the City (N.O.) now...Army Corps say they should work this time.

ragin cajun is offline   Reply With Quote