Old 06-22-2015, 10:01 AM   #61
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
psneeld wrote;
"Being as considerate as you can is the best course of action."
Obviously that would be to turn the gens off if there's anybody within earshot ... including people on the beach.

Windmill those wind gens are BAD. In one harbor we moored at there were several to compete w the sailboat halyards. Noise is noise and I'm against it.
Harleys and semi muffled diesel pick ups. Should be laws to eliminate them. When I was a teenager cops carried sound meters. They would measure the sound from the back of the vehicle and if above a certain level issue you a ticket. And the legal level of "noise" was fairly low. The good old days were really good in some ways.

I had a girlfriend in college that said noise would be the next big problem. I thought she was silly at the time.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 10:43 AM   #62
Guru

City: Sarasota/Ft. Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by manyboats View Post
psneeld wrote;
Obviously that would be to turn the gens off if there's anybody within earshot ... including people on the beach.

Windmill those wind gens are BAD. In one harbor we moored at there were several to compete w the sailboat halyards. Noise is noise and I'm against it.
Harleys and semi muffled diesel pick ups. Should be laws to eliminate them. When I was a teenager cops carried sound meters. They would measure the sound from the back of the vehicle and if above a certain level issue you a ticket. And the legal level of "noise" was fairly low. The good old days were really good in some ways.

I had a girlfriend in college that said noise would be the next big problem. I thought she was silly at the time.
Good God! And people complain about the so called "nanny" state now!

I can just see a bunch of water cops trying to say my genset is to loud, no wait, it's OK now, no wait it's over the legal db limit, no wait....... as I swing closer to then farther from another boat at anchor.

Capt.Bill11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 11:38 AM   #63
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: "Sandpiper"
Vessel Model: 2006 42' Ocean Alexander Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonstruck View Post
Wait 'til a bunch of popping shrimp are under your anchored boat. They are loud.
Interesting! I had an encounter such as that in 1995, my first experience with a bigger boat. It was on my 48' Offshore Yacht Fisher and the sounds those critters made kept me awake most of the night. It sounded like they were trying to scratch their way through my hull bottom.

My passion for improving my boat(s) exceeds my desire to constantly cruise them.
Codger2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 11:47 AM   #64
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express
Quote:
Originally Posted by Codger2 View Post
Interesting! I had an encounter such as that in 1995, my first experience with a bigger boat. It was on my 48' Offshore Yacht Fisher and the sounds those critters made kept me awake most of the night. It sounded like they were trying to scratch their way through my hull bottom.
The first time I encountered them was in Cedar Key, FL. The boat kept sounding like a hot exhaust manifold cooling down. I was in the engine room for a long time trying to figure where the noise was coming from. The next morning an old salt on the dock said, "Oh that. Those were popping shrimp. They come in the harbor now and then".

I have only encountered them a few times, but anyone that's a light sleeper would hate them. They don't stop.
http://moonstruckblog.wordpress.com/
Moonstruck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 12:08 PM   #65
Guru

City: Wilmington, NC
Vessel Name: Louisa
Vessel Model: Custom Built 38
One of my customers was traveling in s.fla for the first time, and called me at night in a moderate panic. Some sort of noise all through the boat, sounds like the sonar is freaking out or something electrical freaking out making a strange popping noise. He did the same, crawling around looking for the source. Exhausted, he called me late.

Him: "What could this noise be? Driving me nuts, worried about strange electrical problem."

Me: "Shrimp"

Got some laughs over that one. He bought me dinner on the way back up.
Ski in NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 12:19 PM   #66
Guru

City: Vero Beach, FL.
Vessel Name: FIREFLY
Vessel Model: Pilgrim 40
I will compromise in an anchorage, I turn off my solar panels at night.
SCOTTEDAVIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 12:20 PM   #67
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
One thing I believe boat buyers often overlook in their buying and equipping decisions is sound. I'm talking about sound you hear on your own boat, because that does ultimately impact others. I want a builder to use every means he can to minimize that sound. I don't get an easy, peaceful feeling if I'm having to raise my voice for conversation. Some builders address it well, but others really don't. That's one thing I'd address with a used boat just bought as well. Maybe ok in a sport boat but in a trawler or trawler type boat, it should stay below 70 decibels, in my opinion.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 02:15 PM   #68
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Quote:
psneeld wrote;

Only in your mind....

Being considerate takes 2...the world is never as simple some try to make it.

PLEASE don't quote me anymore as you NEVER get me correctly. Just post what you think.
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 03:39 PM   #69

City: Westerly, RI
Vessel Name: N/A
Vessel Model: 1999 Mainship 350 Trawler
This should be fairly simple. Treat it like a piece of machinery on land. Think of when you would or wouldn't run a lawnmower or power tool outside. Otherwise look at what most marina rules are for noise.

Typically this means NOT Before 7am and NOT after 10pm.

As for sound during the day......pound sand. As for 'odor' (Really???!!! Are you kidding me?) These are not two strokes and I can tell when a 2stroke outboard passes by.

As for all night long, we don't do that in the New England states, but everyplace is different.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 03:57 PM   #70
Guru

City: Montgomery, TX
Vessel Model: None, but looking
Quote:
psneeld wrote;

Totally agree on the Harleys, ugliest sounding internal combustion engine ever.
BobH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 04:07 PM   #71
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrew View Post
This should be fairly simple. Treat it like a piece of machinery on land. Think of when you would or wouldn't run a lawnmower or power tool outside. Otherwise look at what most marina rules are for noise.

Typically this means NOT Before 7am and NOT after 10pm.

As for sound during the day......pound sand. As for 'odor' (Really???!!! Are you kidding me?) These are not two strokes and I can tell when a 2stroke outboard passes by.

As for all night long, we don't do that in the New England states, but everyplace is different.
Sorry but it is not like cutting the lawn or trimming.

Sleeping at night in stifling environments, like in a boat with large engine mass that has run all day...AC is almost a necessity on many power boats...not something you can schedule from 9-5 every day.

Especially if you wind up cooking in an all electric galley after that days run.

Like I posted...takes both sides to be reasonable.

If poor and on a tiny sailboat with all the ports open and you cant sleep because of a tiny rumble and splash not too close by...well I feel for you.

The guy with the boat that needs AC and shows up late to an anchorage...well...make the call. Anchor further away or pay the price of your new title.

There is no etiquette as there are too many variables...all you can do is the best you can do under the circumstances....which isn't necessarily turning off your genset as some might have you believe.

I've been the guy on the little sailboat and the guy with the generator...it's not hard to figure out if you are a decent human being even if it means looking for anchorages where your genset wont be heard over the other ambient noises or the peacenick that can probably figure out where the Rodney Dangerfields of the world wont take their power cruisers.
Old 06-22-2015, 04:40 PM   #72
Guru

City: Venice Louisiana
During a several week ice storm induced outage here in Oklahoma my neighbor told me he hated the sound of my generator. Its a 15 kw Onan propane unit. He said it was "the sound of comfort". Go figure.
kulas44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 05:04 PM   #73
TF Site Team

City: San Mateo, CA
Vessel Name: Pineapple Girl II
Vessel Model: PT 35
Quote:
psneeld wrote;
Eric I have to disagree. Where I boat at least, the people on the beach might be blasting music so loud they would never hear any sounds from boaters. We anchored out for the fourth a few years back and barely slept the whole time as the group of kids down from us had a DJ and sound system on the beach. Even when the DJ wasn't on, they blasted music from their boat until the wee hours, then started up again at 6am. I will never forget being dragged from sleep by "LOVE LOVE LOVE" at 6am. We would have moved but by that point the area was so filled in anticipation of the fireworks show that there was nowhere to go. Running the generator helped drown out some of the outside noises.
www.pineapple-girl.blogspot.com
Pineapple Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 05:04 PM   #74
Guru

City: Montgomery, TX
Vessel Model: None, but looking
The worst ones, I think, are the screaming wind generators. Many moons ago when we were cruising on our sailboat we anchored off of St.Thomas. Shortly after the hook was down here comes a cat with two of those damn wind generators, one on each hull. He anchored behind us so we were stuck. Not that big a deal, just one night. Next night we anchored off of Marina Cay, BVI. Damn if that SOB doesn't show up again with his two screaming wind generators and block us in again.

I don't know how people live with those things on their boats.
BobH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 05:09 PM   #75
TF Site Team

City: California Delta and SF Bay
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: Marshall Californian 34 LRC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pineapple Girl View Post
Eric I have to disagree. Where I boat at least, the people on the beach might be blasting music so loud they would never hear any sounds from boaters. We anchored out for the fourth a few years back and barely slept the whole time as the group of kids down from us had a DJ and sound system on the beach. Even when the DJ wasn't on, they blasted music from their boat until the wee hours, then started up again at 6am. I will never forget being dragged from sleep by "LOVE LOVE LOVE" at 6am. We would have moved but by that point the area was so filled in anticipation of the fireworks show that there was nowhere to go. Running the generator helped drown out some of the outside noises.
Ha! I remember that year! You guys had it rough near Three River Reach.

I'll be back there this year, PG. Hope you can make it!

Custom Google Trawler Forum Search
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 05:49 PM   #76
Guru

City: Vero Beach, FL.
Vessel Name: FIREFLY
Vessel Model: Pilgrim 40
If I'm running my gen-set it's hot as f*#$ out and the folks on shore are damn well running their AC's as well and can't hear mine.

If a sail boat or other power boat is bothered by my 8K Westy in a sound box with a water exhaust well I recommend noise canceling head sets, they work great killing the noise made by the other folks in the anchorage.

Perhaps they are pissed that they are going to sweat all night, and I'm not. I only run it at night when it's over 80 (temp or humidity).

Due respect to you folks up in the NW and NE but down here you will stew in your own juices without AC at night. As far as the water around your hull cooling you off, BS, right now the water my boat is sitting in is 86^.

I don't see many northern boats staying down here in the summer hmmmm, I wonder why.
SCOTTEDAVIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 05:53 PM   #77
Guru

City: NC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ski in NC View Post
If you can, run the airs hard for a couple hours with tstats set low. Chill the boat down. Then bedtime, shut everything down. Most boats stay sleepable overnight with airs off.
I do this in our house. Temps here have been around 100 for the last couple of weeks. Thankfully, the humidity has not been high.

Running the AC will dump the humidity out of the house pretty quickly. Most days, we don't use the AC until 1200-1400. Then run it off and on until bed time when I turn the AC off. Some mornings the humidity has built up in the house so we will run the AC for a while to removed the humidity and then turn it off until 1200-1400.

Later,
Dan
dannc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 06:56 PM   #78
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Re my post about noise .....

First I only said what I think. And if you anchored near me w a gen going you'd never know what I thought about it. I think all you noise makers should be aware that there are lots of boaters and people that don't like your noise. I'm not even saying you should can it ..... just saying the most considerate thing to do is be quiet. It's a fact lots of people don't like noise. Just because you've got a gen it dosn't mean others will like the noise. Got to admit I didn't think of heat being from Alaska and WA. Guess if I had a boat in an anchorage w 6 others somewhere down in Florida and it's 95 or worse you'd probably be listening to my gen. There's so many variables. This makes me think I'd like to be back in Alaska. People are VERY VERY rude down here. Definitely worse than it was when we left for Alaska in 06.

You're right psneeld "there's no etiquette as there are too many variables"

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 07:00 PM   #79
Guru

Like the guy on Kodiak who let his dog ruin a great salmon spot by romping and swimming through it because his dog was a local and we were just USCG helo guys saving Alakans right and left...but from the lower....

just one of many instances of the attitude towards "lower 48ers"..

even though many Alaskans spent 5 or so less months there than I did per year.

Yep...all saints up there....
Old 06-22-2015, 07:45 PM   #80
Guru

City: UMR MM283
Vessel Name: Northern Lights II
Vessel Model: Bayliner 3870
The single project on the boat for comfort was replacing the flocking in the window channels so the windows would open and getting all the screens repaired for the windows and portlights. I don't frequent crowded anchorages on the Mississippi River, it's always easy to find one and have it all to myself. Never had to consider how running my gen to cook or for AC might bother neighbors. The 2nd project to improve comfort aboard was installing Hella and Caframo 12v fans now I seldom use AC until the temp hits high 80s, cooking on the grill helps also in keep the boat comfortable. I liveaboard 9 months of the year so being comfortable on the boat is a very high priority.