Old 06-20-2015, 07:39 AM   #21
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
Vessel Name: Small Incentive
Vessel Model: Boston Whaler 130 Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by cardude01 View Post
Well, I ran it while cooking dinner and tried to get the cabin cooled down as cold as possible before I hit the sack, but it turned into a hot sticky night after about 2am. I opened the hatches and the portligts that have screens but there was no breeze at all and felt like 99% humidity.

Next time Im anchoring by myself so I can run the AC all night if I need to. 😄

Part of the problem was I anchored too close to a couple of sailboats and they were behind me where the gen exhausts. I need to do better at choosing my spot. I'm finding anchoring positioning is an acquired skill that I don't have yet. I don't know how close or far to get from everyone allowing for scope and swing.
Just out of curiosity, which anchorage were you in?

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 07:50 AM   #22
Guru

City: Victoria TX
Vessel Name: Bijou
Vessel Model: 2008 Island Packet steadysailer
Factory Bay at Marco

Probably should have anchored by myself at the green 15 across the channel, but I couldn't really figure out where I was supposed to drop anchor there.

cardude01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 07:52 AM   #23
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
As you can see...there is no real clear cut etiquette as the other side doesn't always play smart either...

Being as considerate as you can is the best course of action...again that goes for both sides of the coin.

Some anchorages have all kinds of noise and smells, airports, highways, loud bars, etc..etc...of course those are easier to defend your little inconvenience....
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 08:01 AM   #24

City: South Florida
A well tuned generator with a good exhaust system will be difficult to hear or smell 50 ft away. A water separator will eliminate any splashing and reduce air borne noise through the exhaust. I'm all for being a good neighbor, but if they can't hear it or smell it then they shouldn't have any reason to complain.

Keysdisease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 10:01 AM   #25
Guru

City: Sarasota/Ft. Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by FF View Post
Usually the noise is only 1/2 the problem , the STENCH is the other half.

Anchor downwind of the fleet for fewest hassles.
What stench? With a properly running genset there is little or no stench. Unless you are right on top of the exhaust outlet.
Capt.Bill11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 10:21 AM   #26

City: MD
Vessel Name: Blue Yonder
Vessel Model: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keysdisease View Post
A well tuned generator with a good exhaust system will be difficult to hear or smell 50 ft away. A water separator will eliminate any splashing and reduce air borne noise through the exhaust. I'm all for being a good neighbor, but if they can't hear it or smell it then they shouldn't have any reason to complain.

Some people just like to be offended at the thought you may be doing something they disapprove of. I get more dirty looks and slammed hatches from my after dinner cigar than my genset.
BlueYonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 10:25 AM   #27
Guru

City: Wilmington, NC
Vessel Name: Louisa
Vessel Model: Custom Built 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by cardude01 View Post
Well, I ran it while cooking dinner and tried to get the cabin cooled down as cold as possible before I hit the sack, but it turned into a hot sticky night after about 2am. I opened the hatches and the portligts that have screens but there was no breeze at all and felt like 99% humidity.

Next time Im anchoring by myself so I can run the AC all night if I need to. ��

Part of the problem was I anchored too close to a couple of sailboats and they were behind me where the gen exhausts. I need to do better at choosing my spot. I'm finding anchoring positioning is an acquired skill that I don't have yet. I don't know how close or far to get from everyone allowing for scope and swing.
Not too surprised my technique did not work down there. Up here in NC night time temps usually around 78F. In Sfla it can be 83F. My upper limit for happy sleep is 80F with low humidity. So if I dry out my boat and outside is 78, all good. Not so if it is 83.
Ski in NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 10:28 AM   #28
TF Site Team

City: JAX, FL
Vessel Name: Hobo
Vessel Model: Krogen 42-120
Nest time you're at anchor, start the generator, get in the dinghy and drift around behind your boat. The mornings or evenings is a good time. You be your own judge on how noisy your generator is. I think you'll be amazed on how quite it is. Some near by boaters don't care and others will complain just for the sake of you being a power boater and running your generator. There's no pleasing some people.
Larry M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 10:29 AM   #29
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueYonder View Post
Some people just like to be offended at the thought you may be doing something they disapprove of. I get more dirty looks and slammed hatches from my after dinner cigar than my genset.
I like that! Fire up an nice cigar as a distraction. Smoke until they complain and then politely put in out while leaving the genset running.
Old 06-20-2015, 10:54 AM   #30
Guru

City: Maine Coast
Vessel Name: Tortuga
Vessel Model: Nunes Brothers Raised Deck Cruiser
Here in Maine we occasionally encounter people who run the generator late at night. Since the temperatures drop into the at least the low sixties every night, AC is totally unnecessary. While a generator may be quiet from on deck or in a dinghy, on a sailboat where the cabin sole is well below the waterline, you hear every noise in the water. Generator noise travels very well through the water. I have heard generators when in the cabin on my sailboat that you likely couldn't hear on deck of the boat running the generator. It is very annoying in an otherwise silent anchorage. On my trawler, where the cabin is well above the waterline, I would never have heard the same generator. As far as halyard clang on a sailboat goes, I can assure you it is many times louder inside the sailboat than outside. I always tie my halyards off to minimize clang for my own comfort.

As far as running a generator goes here in Maine, I think there is no need except around meal time if you are unfortunate enough to have an electric stove. Both of my boats have adequate battery banks for me to run all my electrical systems as much as I want. I do not have a generator on either boat or any AC electrical for that matter. I leave my refrigeration on all the time since I have adequate solar panels to keep up with it.
TDunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 12:19 PM   #31
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.Bill11 View Post
What stench? With a properly running genset there is little or no stench. Unless you are right on top of the exhaust outlet.
Wifey B: We have no stench...hey...a slogan. This wench has no stench.
BandB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 12:20 PM   #32
Guru

Low 60s!

There's another reason to run it all night. Heat!
Old 06-20-2015, 12:25 PM   #33
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ski in NC View Post
Not too surprised my technique did not work down there. Up here in NC night time temps usually around 78F. In Sfla it can be 83F. My upper limit for happy sleep is 80F with low humidity. So if I dry out my boat and outside is 78, all good. Not so if it is 83.
Of course we hit Wilmington this week when it had a high of 100 degrees and low of 77 degrees. Fort Lauderdale, on the same day had a high of 88 and low of 79 degrees. We definitely used A/C all day and night in Wilmington. No generator though as we were at a marina. But we definitely felt the 100 degrees, especially messing around in our RIB, which unfortunately and not surprisingly doesn't have A/C.
Old 06-20-2015, 12:46 PM   #34
Guru

City: Wilmington, NC
Vessel Name: Louisa
Vessel Model: Custom Built 38
Yea, we are having quite a hot spell here. Normal summer it only breaks 90F a few times a year on the coast. We have had several already and we are still in June. Sucks.
Ski in NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 01:05 PM   #35
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
It's been cooler than normal here. It was too cold to open both pilothouse doors.
Old 06-20-2015, 01:11 PM   #36
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
It's been cooler than normal here. It was too cold to open both pilothouse doors.
And with your lows of 54 and 55 all the past week, we would have definitely needed to run the generator at night as we would have needed heat.
Old 06-20-2015, 03:07 PM   #37
Guru

City: Little River SC
Vessel Name: JAZ
Vessel Model: Ta Chaio/CT35
Have you ever parked next to one of these? Run your genny as long and often as you please!
Attached Images

windmill29130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 03:16 PM   #38
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by windmill29130 View Post
Have you ever parked next to one of these? Run your genny as long and often as you please!
There have also been some land wars caused by windmills and windmill farms. Can you imagine being the retired farmer and his wife with your quiet, peaceful acreage and home in the country, the homestead you've had for your life and your neighbor died a few years ago, their property being sold to someone buying many properties in the area and now converted to a windmill farm. Suddenly you find yourselves unable to get a decent night's sleep in your home and having to keep all windows closed. There is even a condition known as Windmill Turbine Syndrome where people develop multiple physical ailments.

Here's an interesting article regarding windmills and impact on neighbors.

Neighbors at odds over noise from wind turbines - ABC News
Old 06-20-2015, 03:34 PM   #39
FF
Guru

Unquestionably the neighbors noisemaker will frequently be heard thru the water below.

Folks that live on top of the water do not realize how living in a hull is very different .

Sailing offshore the usual ship can easily be heard 10+ miles away.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 03:39 PM   #40
Guru

City: St. Pete, FL
Vessel Name: Seaweed
Vessel Model: Schucker mini-trawler
Send a message via AIM to janice142 Send a message via MSN to janice142 Send a message via Yahoo to janice142 Send a message via Skype™ to janice142
Cardude... in Florida, or anyplace for that matter run your genny.

You said "My gen is pretty quiet outside but loud as hell inside. Should I worry about these other boaters or just give them the finger and relax in my cool AC?"

In my view run the comfort factor. And when you get your boat home work on making the generator quieter inside. Period.

You are allowed and encouraged to enjoy your boat as you see fit. Now if you had one of those $100 Northern Tools noise-makers, that would be an entirely different thing. But otherwise, enjoy.

It's a boat. If a sailboat near you objects they can haul in the anchor and move. I have a wind generator and it's not quiet either. It's the sound of power. We should be mindful of our neighbors however not to the detriment of our own comfort.

When you're hot and sticky you're not going to rest well. That will affect your navigation the next day. For safety's sake, get some rest in the air-conditioning.

I would not visit boats offering to shut down the genny. There's sometimes a jerk so why open yourself up to a grumpy one? Let them make an effort if it bothers them.

From now on remember the Florida Rule for Generators: Any time, all the time, and that's it. Folks do not truly understand how miserable it can be here.

Last week I took Skipper out on the swim deck at 0130 (that's her "outside") and the air was wet, hot, sticky and awful. Even fans wouldn't make it better. I felt wet just being outside for two or three minutes.

Air conditioning is a wonderful thing. Figure out how to make it quieter inside and go for it. Be cool, man!