Old 10-19-2015, 10:21 AM   #21
Guru

City: Sarasota/Ft. Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by bnoft View Post
Marin, fellow GB owner, may chime in here, but the known "GB issues" are centered around the teak deck. The old style installation with thousands of screws placed a premium on maintenance; replacing the bungs and keeping an eye on the seam chalk. If this was not done, rusted fuel tanks were a near certainty and core problems would likely follow; this is not unique to Grand Banks.
In all the rusted fuel tanks I've seen on GBs, I don't recall any that I could say had to do with leaking decks. The teak decks or GBs are not the leakers as on other lesser quality boats.

Capt.Bill11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 12:46 PM   #22
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.Bill11 View Post
In all the rusted fuel tanks I've seen on GBs, I don't recall any that I could say had to do with leaking decks. The teak decks or GBs are not the leakers as on other lesser quality boats.
We sometimes have to give credit to how long some of the boats have been around. Yes, you'll find some older GB with fuel tank issues. You'll find this in a time period that there are few other brands with a lot of survivors. When you're looking at late 60's and early 70's, you find a huge quantity of Grand Banks. There aren't a lot of brands you can say that about. So, yes, they will have problems that come with 40+ year old boats.

BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 04:27 PM   #23
Guru

City: Sidney
Quote:
Originally Posted by Insequent
The old ones have known issues that can cost a lot to fix...
Can you make me a list?
Hawgwash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 06:08 PM   #24

City: Jacksonville Beach, FL
Vessel Name: Shallow Minded
Vessel Model: Shoal Cat
Windows, decks, tanks and blisters.
Blissboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 06:32 PM   #25
Guru

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Insequent
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 50 Mk I
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawgwash View Post
Can you make me a list?
Well lets exclude the woodies, even though some would say they were the best GB's ever made. They would be no worse than other wooden boats but still an on-going high maintenance boat. Not so bad if you can do the work yourself and like doing it.

As to an exhaustive list, that might be better obtained from the GB forum where there will also be advice on solutions. When I was looking at 42's there were several things that leapt out from inspections and surveys, and Blissboat just noted them. Once again, if you have the skills, time and inclination they wont break the bank to remedy. The cost killer is in the labour if you have the work done for you. But the thing is, even a GB with some of these issues can still bring strong prices relative to alternative boats, unless its been on the market for a long time and the owner is getting quite desperate to sell it.

The worst situation is when these repairs are botched. An owner or his friends glass-in the windows, fill-fair-paint etc. Sooner or later you will need to re-do those repairs properly, and in the meantime you will be doing R&M on numerous other on-board systems that were also temporarily patched or 'fixed' by folks that might have been well meaning but really did not know what they were doing. Electrical systems can be a scary one in this regard even though ex:factory they were pretty good. You ought to be able to pick up a lot of the obvious things, and a good surveyor ought not miss much as they already know what they are looking for better than you or I.

If you are going to buy, then pick one where the most common problems have already been properly repaired. You likely will be paying less than 50 cents in the dollar for those repairs, the owner will just have to take a hit. Then you will take a hit on doing the work still to be done. You only do it for love, and you and your partner should be fully aligned on that before starting. No doubt you will get enormous satisfaction out of it at the end. That makes it all worthwhile. Just don't look at it as an investment or do any financial analysis.
Old 10-19-2015, 07:12 PM   #26
Guru

City: Sidney
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blissboat View Post
Windows, decks, tanks and blisters.
Ok, so no different than the others then.

Hawgwash is offline   Reply With Quote