GB with factory glass decks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hawgwash

Guru
Today I came across an '87 46 GB Classic with glass decks custom ordered from the factory. What a nice looking boat. The owner said there are more than a couple of them in San Diego and some also have glass transoms.

Anyone else seen any of these? Maybe a 42 even?

Attachments

• Glass%20Deck[1].jpg
    Glass%20Deck[1].jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 244
Last edited by a moderator:
I've seen a few with glass transoms. The only ones with fiberglass decks I've seen were the result of teak deck removal. Teak gets very hot in the sun so perhaps factory glass decks are more numerous in hot climates; California, Florida, Gulf Coast, etc.

My glass decks have a light gray paint and get hotter than Haiti in the NorCal summer sun. I laid an indoor/outdoor carpet in the cockpit this summer for some relief. It'll be stowed for fishing season. Worked great and only cost $20 from Costco. An impulse buy that actually worked!! :D

My glass decks have a light gray paint and get hotter than Haiti in the NorCal summer sun. I laid an indoor/outdoor carpet in the cockpit this summer for some relief. It'll be stowed for fishing season. Worked great and only cost $20 from Costco. An impulse buy that actually worked!! :D

I've never really noticed much difference between wood and glass for heat. I also used a carpet in a glass cockpit to beat the heat. Felt real good when soaked down too.

My bow section was redone in paint on f/g, following teak removal. Definitely gets hotter, shoes needed on hot sunny days.

I've never really noticed much difference between wood and glass for heat.

I think the color has a big effect. White would be my choice.

I never have to hot-step on Giggitoni's teak decks.

I've seen a few factory GBs with non-skid decks; a couple of 42 classics , one with a glass transom, and a couple of 42 Europas. All were east coast boats.

The usual GRP deck is made in a female mold. Fantastically expensive , and almost impossible to change.

I would assume what you see is a std deck (probably plywood) with a overlay of GRP .

I've seen a few factory GBs with non-skid decks; a couple of 42 classics , one with a glass transom, and a couple of 42 Europas. All were east coast boats.

Since it is the first "factory" FRP I have seen and the gent from San Diego said there were a few of them down there, I'm guessing it was one of those situations where the neighbours have to have "what he's having."

The usual GRP deck is made in a female mold. Fantastically expensive , and almost impossible to change.

I would assume what you see is a std deck (probably plywood) with a overlay of GRP .

However it was done, it was very nice and it certainly didn't show it's 28 year age. The match ups at cabin and bulwarks looked like it was all one piece. Flawless.

If that boat had been a down galley, 2 stateroom, NA engine I would have gone to the bank.:)

What happened to my picture?
When I put up the first post, the picture was sideways and a PITA to look at. I've had that happen before. Over night the picture righted itself...huh? How? TF gremlins?
Thanks anyway...

What happened to my picture?
When I put up the first post, the picture was sideways and a PITA to look at. I've had that happen before. Over night the picture righted itself...huh? How? TF gremlins?
Thanks anyway...

The picture didn't right itself. Larry M fixed it by downloading it, rotating it and reposting for you.

My decks are painted gray. While I wear shoes, they haven't been too hot to sit at the cockpit.

Same with the straw-colored, forward-cabin roof:

The picture didn't right itself. Larry M fixed it by downloading it, rotating it and reposting for you.

And I do appreciate that.
On a couple of previous occasions I tried the rotation trick and it didn't seem to work. I ended up just deleting the post. Is there a way to know before hand that it will be sideways when posted?

Back
Top Bottom