Old 10-10-2015, 04:41 PM   #1

City: Carrollton, Va
GB 42 and like boats

So after much looking, my wife has decided she likes the Grand Banks 42s. I understand GB is the benchmark for trawlers, but I was wondering if there are any other brands I should be looking at.
I want twin engines, at least 2 staterooms, 2 heads, fiberglass decks, can handle the Chesapeake Bay or ocean should I choose to skip some of the ICW, and be in the $85k range. She thinks we can go as high as $125k, but I don't know about pulling that trigger. I still look at the Albin North Sea Cutter that's a couple hours north of me, but I hear the horror stories.

SaltyDawg86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 05:02 PM   #2

City: Jacksonville Beach, FL
Vessel Name: Shallow Minded
Vessel Model: Shoal Cat
". . . my wife has decided she likes the Grand Banks 42s."

Your wife has good taste, but you already knew that. Many other builders have produced trawler-style motor yachts aimed at the GB market. Few have the original build quality that you'll find in any GB. But some of the others present fewer long-term maintenance issues, such as the exterior teak trim, wooden-framed windows, mild-steel fuel tanks, etc. that characterize older GBs.

You've said you want fiberglass decks. In a GB 42 of the vintage necessary to sell for between $85K and $125K, some examples will have been re-decked (maybe with fiberglass). If re-decked, the quality of the job can vary wildly. If not re-decked, then the boat may be facing leak-related issues which are amply discussed elsewhere on this Forum.

For a sampling of other marques in your niche, use YachtWorld to search for trawler yachts in the 40' to 44' range, fiberglass, twin diesels, etc. and fitting your price idea. Lots of choices appear, each with their own merits (and demerits).

Blissboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 05:04 PM   #3
Guru

City: Vallejo, California
Vessel Name: Mahalo Moi
Vessel Model: 1986 Grand Banks 42 Classic
The vast majority of GB42s have teak decks. $85,000 boats are out there, but may be a bit low to give you a choice of well-maintained boats.

Edit: Just read Blissboat's comments and he presents a good point. Some of the older boats, which may be in your price range, have had deck work done; many with replacement decks of fiberglass. Some of the GBs have stainless hand rails which eliminates a couple of teak trees.

Blissboat's suggestion of inputting your parameters into Yachtworld and examining the output may give you an insight into other brands which may fit your needs. Good luck!
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑβΕ
Giggitoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 05:46 PM   #4
Scraping Paint

City: -
Grand Banks, particularly those from the 70s into the 90s are not low maintenance boats. Lots of external teak to keep up and the interiors are all wood. The best way to think of a GB, I've found after 17 years of owning and maintaining one, is that it's a wood boat in a thin fiberglass shell.

Teak decks are part of the appeal to most GB owners/ buyers so there are relatively few out there with glass decks. And if the glass replacement was not done properly it can cause a number of expensive problems down the road.

GBs are great coastal and inside waters boats but they are not what one wants in the open ocean when it gets nasty. If one is mindful of the weather and is not that far out should unexpected weather dictate a run in to more protected waters a GB does okay.

Fiberglass GB42s can be found for $85,000 but I wouldn't want one unless I was looking for a project boat. If we wanted a used GB42 in decent condition we would't start looking unless we had at least $150,000 in the budget and preferably $200,000 or more.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 06:21 PM   #5
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
Vessel Name: Small Incentive
Vessel Model: Boston Whaler 130 Sport
Unless you have extremely low standards for seaworthiness, structural integrity, cosmetics and creature comforts, I'd wager that a $85,000 GB 42 of approximately the same vintage will be a lot more expensive boat than a $125,000 that has had good owners. The only other boats I'd consider of that ilk and price point and build quality are some of the Hatteras models with the same caveat.

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 06:31 PM   #6
Guru

City: Meydenbauer Bay Yacht Club
Vessel Name: Refugio
How about a GB36?

Keith
Old 10-10-2015, 06:55 PM   #7
Guru

City: Sarasota/Ft. Lauderdale
There are at least three fiberglass 42' GBs in the low end of your price range on Yacht World right now.

Here is one in PR. It would make a fun trip to bring it back to your home.

1986 Grand Banks 42 Classic Power Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com
Capt.Bill11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 07:04 PM   #8
Guru

City: Meydenbauer Bay Yacht Club
Vessel Name: Refugio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.Bill11 View Post
There are at least three fiberglass 42' GBs in the low end of your price range on Yacht World right now.

Here is one in PR. It would make a fun trip to bring it back to your home.

That one even has a glassed main deck! I wonder if they ever ran it from the lower helm - I don't recall seeing one as un-molested as that before.

Still, I would have serious reservations about that initial voyage!

Keith
Old 10-10-2015, 09:59 PM   #9
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by refugio View Post
That one even has a glassed main deck! I wonder if they ever ran it from the lower helm - I don't recall seeing one as un-molested as that before.

Still, I would have serious reservations about that initial voyage!

Keith
That would be a great trip. A little TLC and a test run around Culebra and Vieques in PR, and off you go!
Old 10-11-2015, 12:34 AM   #10
Guru

Nice,and I see plenty of features IG "borrowed".
The 4 big blue plastic containers, and crate of around 10 smaller opaque plastic bottles in the ER pic, have me wondering.
BruceK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 01:06 AM   #11

I've found a few GBs with fiberglass decks and I'm not worried about doing a little work. I've looked on boat trader and yacht world, and I know what's for sale around me, I was just trying to get input on other good models. $85-125k is nothing to sneeze at, if that can't get me a boat with good bones then people are proud of their stuff.
Old 10-11-2015, 01:21 AM   #12
Guru

City: Cruising East Coast US
Vessel Name: Grace
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyDawg86 View Post
So after much looking, my wife has decided she likes the Grand Banks 42s. I understand GB is the benchmark for trawlers, but I was wondering if there are any other brands I should be looking at.
I want twin engines, at least 2 staterooms, 2 heads, fiberglass decks, can handle the Chesapeake Bay or ocean should I choose to skip some of the ICW, and be in the $85k range. She thinks we can go as high as $125k, but I don't know about pulling that trigger. I still look at the Albin North Sea Cutter that's a couple hours north of me, but I hear the horror stories.
GBs are not ocean boats. Their lack of bow flair means no reserve boyancy forward plus their sliding trunk cabin windows is a combination you do not want when the seas turn on you offshore. The idea that they are of a higher build quality I think many here might disagree. As with all of these boats it is a boat by boat issue and not manufacturer.
http://graceyachting.com/
Daddyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 01:43 AM   #13
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddyo View Post
GBs are not ocean boats. Their lack of bow flair means no reserve boyancy forward plus their sliding trunk cabin windows is a combination you do not want when the seas turn on you offshore. The idea that they are of a higher build quality I think many here might disagree. As with all of these boats it is a boat by boat issue and not manufacturer.

While GBs are not ocean crossers, they are solid boats and when stabilized make good cruisers. Even down island.

And as far build quality, systems lay out and fit and finish goes, they are in the top of the line category. And head and shoulders above many of the other "trawlers" out there. You just don't find the short cuts and half assed workmanship in a GB that you see in many other boats.
Old 10-11-2015, 09:35 AM   #14

City: Jacksonville, FL
Vessel Name: Amar la Vida
Vessel Model: 1989 Carver Californian 48' MY

Humacoa, United States? Since when did Puerto Rico become a state?
knotheadcharters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 10:23 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyDawg86 View Post
... but I was wondering if there are any other brands I should be looking at.
Ocean Alexander built some nice SD trunk cabin boats (and sedans) in that size range. No exterior teak....spectacular interior teak. Efficient hull design compared to GB, dry in the rough stuff (GB are notoriously "wet " with lots of bow spray). High quality builds. Also some nice sun deck layouts in the 42-46 range (if outside space has value to your spouse). Take a look...most folks like what they see. Very loyal following.
go-planing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 10:32 AM   #16
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by knotheadcharters View Post

Humacoa, United States? Since when did Puerto Rico become a state?
PR is a state. A state of mind.
Old 10-11-2015, 10:50 AM   #17
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Daddyo wrote;
"GB's are not ocean boats"
Neither are most other flat bottomed square stern boats.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 10:52 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by semi-planing View Post
Ocean Alexander built some nice SD trunk cabin boats (and sedans) in that size range. No exterior teak....spectacular interior teak. Efficient hull design compared to GB, dry in the rough stuff (GB are notoriously "wet " with lots of bow spray). High quality builds. Also some nice sun deck layouts in the 42-46 range (if outside space has value to your spouse). Take a look...most folks like what they see. Very loyal following.
Thanks for the info, I'll look at those as well.

I'm not lookingfor a boat to cross the ocean in, just one that will do well in the Chesapeake Bay and on a dice day, do well going down the coast.
Old 10-11-2015, 10:58 AM   #19
Veteran Member

City: Wake Forest, NC
I've been eyeing this one. 'Course I cannot do much of anything right now except look: ⛵ 42' Grand Banks Classic Trawler ⛵
michigandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 11:26 AM   #20
Guru

City: gulf coast
The narrow salon and lack of bow flare have always turned me off on the GB but when well done they are beautiful, just not for me.

In a lot of years of boating on both coasts a dicey day has never been a problem because I just stay in port. I don't think any 42' boat will be fun, except for Bill [], on a dicey day, even with active stabilizers.

bayview is offline   Reply With Quote