GB 42 and like boats

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SaltyDawg86

So after much looking, my wife has decided she likes the Grand Banks 42s. I understand GB is the benchmark for trawlers, but I was wondering if there are any other brands I should be looking at.
I want twin engines, at least 2 staterooms, 2 heads, fiberglass decks, can handle the Chesapeake Bay or ocean should I choose to skip some of the ICW, and be in the $85k range. She thinks we can go as high as $125k, but I don't know about pulling that trigger. I still look at the Albin North Sea Cutter that's a couple hours north of me, but I hear the horror stories.

". . . my wife has decided she likes the Grand Banks 42s."

Your wife has good taste, but you already knew that. Many other builders have produced trawler-style motor yachts aimed at the GB market. Few have the original build quality that you'll find in any GB. But some of the others present fewer long-term maintenance issues, such as the exterior teak trim, wooden-framed windows, mild-steel fuel tanks, etc. that characterize older GBs.

You've said you want fiberglass decks. In a GB 42 of the vintage necessary to sell for between $85K and $125K, some examples will have been re-decked (maybe with fiberglass). If re-decked, the quality of the job can vary wildly. If not re-decked, then the boat may be facing leak-related issues which are amply discussed elsewhere on this Forum.

For a sampling of other marques in your niche, use YachtWorld to search for trawler yachts in the 40' to 44' range, fiberglass, twin diesels, etc. and fitting your price idea. Lots of choices appear, each with their own merits (and demerits).

The vast majority of GB42s have teak decks. $85,000 boats are out there, but may be a bit low to give you a choice of well-maintained boats.

Edit: Just read Blissboat's comments and he presents a good point. Some of the older boats, which may be in your price range, have had deck work done; many with replacement decks of fiberglass. Some of the GBs have stainless hand rails which eliminates a couple of teak trees.

Blissboat's suggestion of inputting your parameters into Yachtworld and examining the output may give you an insight into other brands which may fit your needs. Good luck!

Last edited:
Grand Banks, particularly those from the 70s into the 90s are not low maintenance boats. Lots of external teak to keep up and the interiors are all wood. The best way to think of a GB, I've found after 17 years of owning and maintaining one, is that it's a wood boat in a thin fiberglass shell.

Teak decks are part of the appeal to most GB owners/ buyers so there are relatively few out there with glass decks. And if the glass replacement was not done properly it can cause a number of expensive problems down the road.

GBs are great coastal and inside waters boats but they are not what one wants in the open ocean when it gets nasty. If one is mindful of the weather and is not that far out should unexpected weather dictate a run in to more protected waters a GB does okay.

Fiberglass GB42s can be found for $85,000 but I wouldn't want one unless I was looking for a project boat. If we wanted a used GB42 in decent condition we would't start looking unless we had at least $150,000 in the budget and preferably $200,000 or more.

Last edited:
Unless you have extremely low standards for seaworthiness, structural integrity, cosmetics and creature comforts, I'd wager that a $85,000 GB 42 of approximately the same vintage will be a lot more expensive boat than a $125,000 that has had good owners. The only other boats I'd consider of that ilk and price point and build quality are some of the Hatteras models with the same caveat.

There are at least three fiberglass 42' GBs in the low end of your price range on Yacht World right now.

Here is one in PR. It would make a fun trip to bring it back to your home. :D

1986 Grand Banks 42 Classic Power Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

That one even has a glassed main deck! I wonder if they ever ran it from the lower helm - I don't recall seeing one as un-molested as that before.

Still, I would have serious reservations about that initial voyage!

Keith

That one even has a glassed main deck! I wonder if they ever ran it from the lower helm - I don't recall seeing one as un-molested as that before.

Still, I would have serious reservations about that initial voyage!

Keith

That would be a great trip. A little TLC and a test run around Culebra and Vieques in PR, and off you go!

Nice,and I see plenty of features IG "borrowed".
The 4 big blue plastic containers, and crate of around 10 smaller opaque plastic bottles in the ER pic, have me wondering.

I've found a few GBs with fiberglass decks and I'm not worried about doing a little work. I've looked on boat trader and yacht world, and I know what's for sale around me, I was just trying to get input on other good models. $85-125k is nothing to sneeze at, if that can't get me a boat with good bones then people are proud of their stuff.

So after much looking, my wife has decided she likes the Grand Banks 42s. I understand GB is the benchmark for trawlers, but I was wondering if there are any other brands I should be looking at.
I want twin engines, at least 2 staterooms, 2 heads, fiberglass decks, can handle the Chesapeake Bay or ocean should I choose to skip some of the ICW, and be in the $85k range. She thinks we can go as high as $125k, but I don't know about pulling that trigger. I still look at the Albin North Sea Cutter that's a couple hours north of me, but I hear the horror stories.

GBs are not ocean boats. Their lack of bow flair means no reserve boyancy forward plus their sliding trunk cabin windows is a combination you do not want when the seas turn on you offshore. The idea that they are of a higher build quality I think many here might disagree. As with all of these boats it is a boat by boat issue and not manufacturer.

GBs are not ocean boats. Their lack of bow flair means no reserve boyancy forward plus their sliding trunk cabin windows is a combination you do not want when the seas turn on you offshore. The idea that they are of a higher build quality I think many here might disagree. As with all of these boats it is a boat by boat issue and not manufacturer.

While GBs are not ocean crossers, they are solid boats and when stabilized make good cruisers. Even down island.

And as far build quality, systems lay out and fit and finish goes, they are in the top of the line category. And head and shoulders above many of the other "trawlers" out there. You just don't find the short cuts and half assed workmanship in a GB that you see in many other boats.

... but I was wondering if there are any other brands I should be looking at.

Ocean Alexander built some nice SD trunk cabin boats (and sedans) in that size range. No exterior teak....spectacular interior teak. Efficient hull design compared to GB, dry in the rough stuff (GB are notoriously "wet " with lots of bow spray). High quality builds. Also some nice sun deck layouts in the 42-46 range (if outside space has value to your spouse). Take a look...most folks like what they see. Very loyal following.

Last edited:
Daddyo wrote;
"GB's are not ocean boats"
Neither are most other flat bottomed square stern boats.

Ocean Alexander built some nice SD trunk cabin boats (and sedans) in that size range. No exterior teak....spectacular interior teak. Efficient hull design compared to GB, dry in the rough stuff (GB are notoriously "wet " with lots of bow spray). High quality builds. Also some nice sun deck layouts in the 42-46 range (if outside space has value to your spouse). Take a look...most folks like what they see. Very loyal following.

Thanks for the info, I'll look at those as well.

I'm not lookingfor a boat to cross the ocean in, just one that will do well in the Chesapeake Bay and on a dice day, do well going down the coast.

The narrow salon and lack of bow flare have always turned me off on the GB but when well done they are beautiful, just not for me.

In a lot of years of boating on both coasts a dicey day has never been a problem because I just stay in port. I don't think any 42' boat will be fun, except for Bill [:D], on a dicey day, even with active stabilizers.

Last edited:
Ok so now I'm confused.
Sounds like Daddyo wouldn't take a GB 42 outside the Chesapeake or over to Freeport and Marin would shy away from an Alaska run. Bill thinks it would be fun to cruise one back from PR.

Attachments

• pot-clip-art-911396.jpg
    pot-clip-art-911396.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 61
You can get a great condition GB46' for 150k and save yourself numerous headaches/projects. I love mine.
I agree, they are not ocean vessels - as you can readily tell by looking at the superstructure, but running 25 miles or more offshore is fine if you keep a weather eye.

Bill thinks it would be fun for him if someone else did that passage. Grab the popcorn!

Keith

No, I'd do it in a heart beat.

Your going in the right direction. It's island hopping. And I'd pick my weather and have no schedule. :D

I mean it more than likely got there on its own bottom.

Last edited:
No, I'd do it in a heart beat.

Your going in the right direction. It's island hopping. And I'd pick my weather and have no schedule. :D

I agree 100%, taking a Grand Banks 42' or 46' up or down island from South FLA is a no brainer: these boats are made for coastal passages just like this. again, common sense rules: pick your weather, have a well maintained and reliable vessel, a semi-reliable crew, a minimal schedule, and just enjoy the ride. In fact, if you island hop through the Bahamas its probably an easier run than the Gulf of Maine in November or May.

I've cruised and island hopped from Miami all the way down to Trinidad and Tobago on slightly larger vessels - but its all one and the same. common sense rules.

Now, to emphasize my point: I would not recommend taking these vessels to the Azores even if you could figure out a way to double the fuel stowage onboard.

Last edited:
You might want to look at the DeFever's... They have similar lines and build quality to the Grand Banks. Art DeFever even designed the Alaskan for Grand Banks. They have various models in the 40'-46' range in your price range that might be a good option. I've lived aboard my DeFever 41 for the last 3 years and she is a very comfortable cruiser. Very similar layout to the GB42 with a U-shaped galley that I prefer.

I also love the Kadey Krogen's, but they tend to be more expensive.

Last edited:
Good analyze

While GBs are not ocean crossers, they are solid boats and when stabilized make good cruisers. Even down island.

And as far build quality, systems lay out and fit and finish goes, they are in the top of the line category. And head and shoulders above many of the other "trawlers" out there. You just don't find the short cuts and half assed workmanship in a GB that you see in many other boats.

You said the right things.

Back
Top Bottom