Old 10-29-2015, 10:53 PM   #1
Veteran Member

City: Hope, Idaho
Vessel Name: Mary Elyse
Vessel Model: 1964 Boston Whaler Eastport
GB 36 Europa on EBay

Anyone have any thoughts about the 36' Grand Banks Europa on EBay? Apparently it sank in its mooring due to failure of a below-the-waterline fitting, and was raised and water damage remediated to one degree or another. I can only imagine that this sort of event would have dire implications for just about every system on the boat. But on the other hand, maybe this is a good way to pick up a good boat for cheap. Thoughts?

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item...obalID=EBAY-US

OldToby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 11:06 PM   #2
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr. OT. Depends on what "sank in it's mooring" means. Was she right under to the FB or just the engines submerged? Fresh water or salt water intrusion? Many questions...

Old 10-29-2015, 11:14 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Good questions, to be sure. The eBay listing says "submerged at her slip." Submerged implies, well, submersion. The listing has a video that shows both Cummins diesels running post-incident, albeit drawing their fuel from a Jerry can. I asked the seller about electronics, and he replied that they "haven't been tested." By which I assume he means "they are toast." Just an intriguing possibility....
Old 10-30-2015, 05:45 AM   #4
TF Site Team

City: Chicago, IL
Vessel Name: Bay Pelican
Vessel Model: Krogen 42
Boat is currently in Washington State on the coast (Anacortes) and owner is likely in British Columbia. More likely than not the sinking was in salt water.
Old 10-30-2015, 05:54 AM   #5
Guru

City: Cape May, NJ and Englewood, FL
Vessel Name: Irish Lady
Sunk in saltwater? Do you feel lucky? You get to rewire the boat and replace the fuel tanks within a couple years in the best case. Who would insure it?
I would bet someone does the minimum work to make it run then flips it to an unsuspecting buyer.
1984 Monk 36 Hull #46
Englewood, FL and Cape May, NJ
High Wire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 06:07 AM   #6
Guru

City: Sydney
Probably end up in Australia we also get Jeeps sent here
gaston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 08:10 AM   #7
Guru

City: Hill Country TX/S.Portland Maine
Vessel Name: Southern Cross III
Vessel Model: 1988 Defever 41
Maybe it would be good as a dock queen, $100,000 would be my TOP number to have invested in the boat, all in.
Old 10-30-2015, 09:59 AM   #8
Guru

City: Sidney
Quote:
Originally Posted by High Wire View Post
Sunk in saltwater? Do you feel lucky? You get to rewire the boat and replace the fuel tanks within a couple years in the best case. Who would insure it?
I would bet someone does the minimum work to make it run then flips it to an unsuspecting buyer.
I wonder what the insurance settlement was and where the money went?
Hawgwash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 10:09 AM   #9

City: La Conner, WA
Vessel Name: Imagine
Vessel Model: Farrell 34
Cut a ticket, come out and take a look! Bidding ends in 2+ days.

I would bring a few screwdrivers, good headlamp and be looking/smelling inside everything, lots of places for mold problems. Wiring, electronics, gauges, anything with a motor, rough budget that in, plus a lot of your time to work on this in the yard, place to live, etc.

I have cleaned up/fixed a lot of stuff flooded by hurricanes, but the stuff is never the same; flooding takes life out of stuff, measured in dog years.

There are those that build/restore boats, and those that run/skipper boats; most often they are not the same men.

The mother-of-all sunk/raised/restoration projects is across the sound in Port Townsend, the old Hemingway fishing boat.
GoneFarrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 10:38 AM   #10
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFarrell
I have cleaned up/fixed a lot of stuff flooded by hurricanes, but the stuff is never the same; flooding takes life out of stuff, measured in dog years.
Do you have any sense if hurricane boats made it to NW WA and BC over the years? I was aware of at least a couple Andrew boats finding their way here.
Old 10-30-2015, 10:41 AM   #11

City: Bethlehem, PA
Vessel Name: Lady Kay V
Vessel Model: Don't know yet.....
Well for under 30K........ Definitely would have to have the multimeter in a holster though.....
Old 10-30-2015, 12:30 PM   #12
Veteran Member

My thought is that pretty much all the electronics and most of the electrics are kaput. What about the fuel tanks? Would submersion necessarily mess them up beyond redemption? Can the interior wood survive such an event?

My interest in this boat would be in relocating it to fresh water, with really not much need for lots of electronics, but keeping it at the dock would not be an option.
Old 10-30-2015, 01:22 PM   #13

City: Great Lakes
Vessel Name: NONE
Vessel Model: NONE
I've had a couple sink back in the Woody days. Saving this boat would be a nightmare of long term problems that will haunt the owner to the grave. Think of it, the salt water intrusion would be insidious. Everything has been filled with salt water, the winch, electronics, genny, guages, switches, door latches, even inside the control cables and a thousand other places that you wouldn't think of. To be remotely feasible financially, you would have to buy it as virtually nothing more than a hull, motors and superstructure, anything beyond that which could be saved is simply a bonus.
Capt Kangeroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 01:27 PM   #14
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Kangeroo View Post
I've had a couple sink back in the Woody days. Saving this boat would be a nightmare of long term problems that will haunt the owner to the grave. Think of it, the salt water intrusion would be insidious. Everything has been filled with salt water, the winch, electronics, genny, guages, switches, door latches, even inside the control cables and a thousand other places that you wouldn't think of. To be remotely feasible financially, you would have to buy it as virtually nothing more than a hull, motors and superstructure, anything beyond that which could be saved is simply a bonus.
Anyone looking on WA Craigslist for marine equipment and electronics better beware. Or BC for that matter, since the owner is in greater Vancouver.
Old 10-30-2015, 01:31 PM   #15
Guru

City: Meydenbauer Bay Yacht Club
Vessel Name: Refugio
I think I can tell about how far it sank - look at these two snaps from the video.
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2015-10-30 08.29.00.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	58.0 KB
ID:	46047

Name:	Screenshot 2015-10-30 08.23.26.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	49.5 KB
ID:	46048

There's also some (freshwater) damage from above - you can see the typical discoloration below the exposed windshield (epic design fail, but some folks like the look).

Name:	Screenshot 2015-10-30 08.22.42.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	63.2 KB
ID:	46049

In all of the pictures and the two videos there is not one electrical anything that is on. The port engine appears to have been jumpered from a separate battery (and is running off a jerry can as noted previously).

So every wire - every everything - below about 18" above the saloon floor was submerged in salt water. This boat might be a reasonable restoration candidate for someone looking for an extreme project. Too bad it's twins - twice the renovation and no space to do it in, so they're going to have to come out. Which should make replacing the tanks easier (they may be at end of life anyway at 24 years old, though the Europa design would keep the side decks - and fillers - relatively dry).

It's a real shame that sank - there aren't very many of these 36 Europas.
refugio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 02:50 PM   #16
Veteran Member

I really appreciate everyone's thoughts on this. I admit to being a little over-enthusiastic about the idea of getting a really good deal on a potentially very fine boat, but the comments here have brought me back to terra firma. While I don't mind (and even enjoy) upkeep, maintenance and some minor repair, I'm not up for years of battling a varied host of gremlins, no doubt at considerable cost in blood and treasure.

The search continues...
Old 10-30-2015, 04:16 PM   #17
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldToby
Apparently it sank in its mooring due to failure of a below-the-waterline fitting...Thoughts?
Stern tube/shaft log?
Old 10-30-2015, 06:40 PM   #18
Guru

City: Vallejo, California
Vessel Name: Mahalo Moi
Vessel Model: 1986 Grand Banks 42 Classic
...from a failed through-hull fitting to the Grunert refrigeration.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑβΕ
Giggitoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 10:01 PM   #19
Guru

City: Port Townsend Washington
Vessel Name: " OTTER "
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander Europa 40
[QUOTE
The mother-of-all sunk/raised/restoration projects is across the sound in Port Townsend, the old Hemingway fishing boat.[/QUOTE]

Word on the street here is that "project" may sink again while on the hard!..it is a p.o.s. boat
that should be busted up and hauled away.. some folks have too much money and not enough sense..
Hollywood
hollywood8118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 11:17 PM   #20

City: Seattle
Here ya go the old Western Flyer. Recent picture of Hemingway's fishing boat on the hard in Port Townsend.

Name:	PT&PA Jan 2014 023 (Small) (2).JPG
Views:	83
Size:	96.2 KB
ID:	46068

captn H is offline   Reply With Quote