Old 10-31-2015, 12:22 AM   #21

City: Bethlehem, PA
Vessel Name: Lady Kay V
Vessel Model: Don't know yet.....
A little paint and polish and that will be good to go......

Seriously, many have seen real wood restoration projects..... sometimes all that's left after demo is the keel, all or part of stem and stern, some or most of the ribs, rarely any of the planks and hopefully most of the deck frame and the frame of the superstructure and the interior, and that's on a boat that didn't spend too much time under water.

There's tens of thousands of hours and hundreds of thousands of dollars of work there, IF there is enough sound wood to work with.

Of course all of the systems, and much if not most of the hardware need replacing.

Edit: This boat has quite the history, but it appears we're dealing with John Steinbeck here and not Hemingway...

http://response.restoration.noaa.gov...ed-depths.html

Old 10-31-2015, 12:38 AM   #22

City: Bethlehem, PA
Vessel Name: Lady Kay V
Vessel Model: Don't know yet.....
Update....

Quote:
This listing was ended by the seller because the item is no longer available.

Old 10-31-2015, 08:29 AM   #23
Guru

City: Hill Country TX/S.Portland Maine
Vessel Name: Southern Cross III
Vessel Model: 1988 Defever 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by captn H View Post
Here ya go the old Western Flyer. Recent picture of Hemingway's fishing boat on the hard in Port Townsend.

Attachment 46068

"The purchase price of the boat, combined with the cost of the restoration, is expected to exceed $2 million. The Greggs said it will most likely will be used for educational purposes"
Old 10-31-2015, 06:14 PM   #24

City: La Conner, WA
Vessel Name: Imagine
Vessel Model: Farrell 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawgwash View Post
Do you have any sense if hurricane boats made it to NW WA and BC over the years? I was aware of at least a couple Andrew boats finding their way here.
Hawg, I have no knowledge of such boats. My experience with hurricane flooded stuff is all down in baja sur.

"Word on the street here is that "project" may sink again while on the hard!..it is a p.o.s. boat that should be busted up and hauled away.. some folks have too much money and not enough sense.."
Hollywood

Hollywood, couldn't agree more. I took a close look at it during the Wood Boat show in Sept with the bottom planks peeled off. Total sunken wreckage parked on the hard to me. Every stick on that boat is shot. Finding new sticks would become an enviornmental destruct project too. I would slice it up and make bookend sets for the dreamy bookworms. Even those would have to be encased in epoxy! And my apologies for naming the wrong author! Better with boats than books I s'pose!

Next time I'm in PT I'll let you know, walk around that thing, then we can go over to the brewpub, hoist one and thank our lucky stars!

GoneFarrell is offline   Reply With Quote