Old 02-07-2013, 11:11 AM   #1
TF Site Team/Forum Founder

City: League City, Tx
Vessel Name: Floatsome & Jetsome
Vessel Model: Meridian 411
Gasoline disposal

The gasoline storage thread got me to thinking about this. I am about to pick up my freshly serviced Yamaha 15hp 2 stroke that was suffering from ethanol sickness. During my time of trying to heal that sickness, I had filled up the tank with fresh gas.....6 months ago!!!! So that gas ain't all that fresh anymore and I am certainly not going to try and run it through my freshly serviced engine. Where in the heck can you dispose of gasoline???? It seems as if gasoline(with oil mixed into it) is about as difficult to get rid of as old expired flares???...ie nobody has an answer. And I don't consider dumping it into my diesel tank an option.

On another note, my certified Yamaha engine repairman advised me to use aviation fuel from now on. He says it has no ethanol in it and it has a much longer shelf life. He said the only reason Yamaha cannot endorse this is due to the recent pollution legislation....FYI and FWIW!
Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 11:16 AM   #2
Scraping Paint

City: -
Put it in a vehicle. That's what we do with all the left-over fuel in our Arima. I've siphoned out twenty gallons of fuel that was over a year old and put it in our vehicles that use regular and had no problems. It usually goes into a vehicle with a tank partially filled with fresh gas but I don't know if that makes any difference.

It's also possible to buy ethanol-free fuel. A grange store near us sells this from a normal drive-up pump and we've seen some Arco stations advertising ethanol-free fuel. We use it in our generator at home and will start using it in the Arima and for the GB's dinghy motor this year. It's a hell of a lot cheaper than avgas which around here tends to hover around $6 a gallon.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 11:19 AM   #3
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
For future fuel you should know how much lead there is in 100 octane LL. We could'nt use it in ultralights as it was much too dirty.

Find a Union 76 station. I think they sell non-ethanol gasoline.

Old gas? I have always put all my old or questionable gas in my 85 Suburban.
Have a friend w an old car w no catalytic converter? The vehicle must be w/o catalytic converter.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 11:28 AM   #4
Scraping Paint

Quote:
Originally Posted by manyboats View Post
The vehicle must be w/o catalytic converter.
I don't believe that's correct and Ive never heard any cautions to that effect. The gas might be old but it's not leaded. Every one of our vehicles, even the oldest ones from the 80s, have catalytic converters. Putting year-old unleaded fuel in them does not seem to have any effect on the converters in terms of the results of their emissions tests, which are required in King County until a vehicle is more than 25 years old.
Old 02-07-2013, 11:33 AM   #5
Guru

City: Missourah
Vessel Name: M/V Scout
Vessel Model: Sundowner Tug 30'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marin View Post
Put it in a vehicle. That's what we do with all the left-over fuel in our Arima. I've siphoned out twenty gallons of fuel that was over a year old and put it in our vehicles that use regular and had no problems. It usually goes into a vehicle with a tank partially filled with fresh gas but I don't know if that makes any difference.

It's also possible to buy ethanol-free fuel. A grange store near us sells this from a normal drive-up pump and we've seen some Arco stations advertising ethanol-free fuel. We use it in our generator at home and will start using it in the Arima and for the GB's dinghy motor this year. It's a hell of a lot cheaper than avgas which around here tends to hover around $6 a gallon.
I've done that dozens of times with no problems. But...

A buddy of mine just dumped 5 gals of year old dinghy gas (straight not oil-mix) in his girl friends BRAND new VW turbo when she came home on empty. All the warning lights came on and it shut itself down on the way to the station to fill it up. Finally got it started after topping off with fresh fuel and a trip to dealer got the Check Engine out.

Just saying.

Deliveries & Yacht Services
www.captainchip.com
Anode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 11:47 AM   #6
Scraping Paint

Yes, I don't think I'll do this with the new pickup we just ordered although it most likely would be able to deal with it given the engine we're getting. But a vehicle with a very sophisticated engine and engine control system should probably not be fed old crappy fuel.

Our 2011 Subaru Forester has no problems with it but we always add the old fuel to new fuel. And we get rid of stored, treated gas within a year. Any older than that and I use it as a weed killer.
Old 02-07-2013, 11:57 AM   #7

1) This has 2 stroke oil mixed in it!...I am NOT putting this gas mixture in my car...I'd put it in my boat before that but don't really want to do that.
2) Nobody has answered the question!...where to dispose.
Old 02-07-2013, 12:00 PM   #8
Guru

I put it in the Jeep Grand Cherokee but always diluted with fresh fuel already in the tank. Did the same with 2T mixture - no problem. Bigger problem was when the gas tank leaked 10 gallons on an old center console 20ft. Figured safest option was to leave it to evaporate. Took about a week in the sun!!
Chrisjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 12:06 PM   #9
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
That's it John ... old car.
Years ago I put lots of 24-1 mix gas in my 53 Chevy and never a problem.

Marin, all,
Re the no cat warning I assumed oil mix fuel.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 12:11 PM   #10
Scraping Paint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baker View Post
1) This has 2 stroke oil mixed in it!...I am NOT putting this gas mixture in my car...I'd put it in my boat before that but don't really want to do that.
2) Nobody has answered the question!...where to dispose.
All our outboards are four stroke or oil injected so we only buy regular gas. Didn't think about two-stroke premix. In our area there are hazardous waste disposal programs where you can get rid of old paint, fuel, oil, etc. They tend to have a cap on how much you can bring in at any given time, however. Some are sponsored by cities, some by the county.

Our marina has a pair of locked, fenced-in recycle stations for used oil, coolant, filters, and (I think) fuel. We dump our engine oil there but have never tried to take fuel there. Perhaps your marina or one in your area has a similar setup.

I had a friend who had a burn barrel on his property. He would sometimes put relatively small mounts of old chainsaw fuel in it along with yard waste.

Or... use it as a weed killer.
Old 02-07-2013, 12:14 PM   #11
Guru

City: Vallejo, California
Vessel Name: Mahalo Moi
Vessel Model: 1986 Grand Banks 42 Classic
John, take the old fuel to your local waste-oil disposal company. They will charge you a couple dollars per gallon. Or you can spray your fence line for weeds, however, that's illegal and would keep it quite .
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑβΕ
Giggitoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 12:23 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marin View Post
Our marina has a pair of locked, fenced-in recycle stations for used oil, coolant, filters, and (I think) fuel. We dump our engine oil there but have never tried to take fuel there. Perhaps your marina or one in your area has a similar setup.
Most marinas in the area(not mine) have this type of setup but they prohibit the dumping of gasoline/fuel. Can you imagine a fire started/aided by gasoline and then get hot enough for all that oil to burn??? Quite a fire hazard!!
Old 02-07-2013, 12:25 PM   #13
Guru

Regarding 2T mixture in autos, my old Jaguar XJ6 and my new Audi A6 both burned a significant amount of oil. The Audi burned about a qt every 2K miles even when new and it only got worse!! So, in my opinion, putting a gallon or two of 2T into several gallons of fresh gas should not make any difference to your car.
Chrisjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 02:43 PM   #14
Guru

I dump all my gas, 2 cycle mix and straight into my 2005 Dodge truck. Never had an issue and don't expect to.
jleonard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 03:28 PM   #15
Guru

City: Longboat Key, FL
Vessel Name: Bucky
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea
I had some old outboard fuel I didn't want to put in my serviced Merc 9.9. I put it in a new plastic gas can and accidentally left it on the grass out front where zillions of gardeners are doing neighborhood yards with 2 cycle trimmers, blowers and hedge cutters. I don't think it was even there for an hour.
healhustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 03:45 PM   #16
Guru

City: League City, TX
Vessel Name: Pelago
Vessel Model: Wellcraft 3300 Coastal
John,

You might try:

Holcomb Oil Recycling
6228 Osprey Drive
Houston, TX 77048
713-991-4005

They are near Hobby airport and I know they dispose of diesel. They might handle gasoline as well.

Good luck

LarryM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 04:10 PM   #17

City: Northern Chesapeake
Vessel Model: Carver 440, 6CTA8.3's
I think almost any lawn care company would be glad to take it off your hands.
bluebyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 04:37 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by healhustler View Post
I had some old outboard fuel I didn't want to put in my serviced Merc 9.9. I put it in a new plastic gas can and accidentally left it on the grass out front where zillions of gardeners are doing neighborhood yards with 2 cycle trimmers, blowers and hedge cutters. I don't think it was even there for an hour.
Hahaha!!! I like this!!!

And thanks for all the tips. I might accidentally leave it by the curb or maybe even put it in my truck.....8)
Old 02-07-2013, 06:26 PM   #19
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
My friends and I take our old gas, and two or three trailer loads of christmas trees out to a local off road park every year for a New Years Eve bonfire. The sheriff on duty always enjoys the fire with us.

I suppose we qualify as rednecks

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 06:48 PM   #20

We recycle from 700 to 1,000 gallons of bad fuel each month. By recycle, we have a company come in and pick it up then they process it.
If you were in Florida we could help. Maybe call the local fire department.
El Sea is offline   Reply With Quote