Old 09-08-2015, 11:27 AM   #221
Guru

City: Maine Coast
Vessel Name: Tortuga
Vessel Model: Nunes Brothers Raised Deck Cruiser
The marina knew about it but didn't seem concerned.
TDunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 11:31 AM   #222
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by TDunn View Post
The marina knew about it but didn't seem concerned.
So, although probably not consciously, they decided they were willing to assume the liability of a potential fire.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 11:40 AM   #223
Guru

City: Adelaide
Vessel Name: Kokanee
Vessel Model: Cuddles 30 Pilot House Motor Sailer
A person can install a gas monitoring system on a boat for added safety if using gasoline or propane. This measures hydrocarbons in the bilge) and alarms before the LEL is reached. We use these in the oil and gas industry where there is any possible risk of of explosion. They do provide an very effective extra level of safety when dealing with flammables.

This one will automatically switch on you bilge blowers if a set level of hydrocarbon vapours is detected.

Selecting Vapor Detectors | West Marine

It will also detect other flammables sometimes left in a boat such as turpentine and acetone, which can leak and be much more dangerous than the gasoline or propane.
AusCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 12:01 PM   #224
TF Site Team

City: California Delta
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: 1977 Marshall Californian 34 LRC
I posted this link on a separate thread, but it has relevance here, too. Especially regarding professionally maintained vessels going boom! We'll have to wait for the report, but it sure seems like a gasoline based explosion to me.

http://www.santacruzsentinel.com/gen...boat-explosion

@DeltaBridges - 25 Delta Bridges in 25 Days
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 12:07 PM   #225
TF Site Team

City: California Delta
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: 1977 Marshall Californian 34 LRC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art View Post
Al - Only item I found on that site is as "follows" in link below: Seven years ago when I began using Soltron there was a much more detailed website. One item previously mentioned in their past site that brought me to using it was that it stopped ethanol/dino fuel separation. The complete and very fast way it cleaned up the water and gunk out of fuel (gasoline) in our Tollycraft was nothing short of impressive. I've never found a spec of gunk or water again in my large spin on fuel filters. Whenever I check/change filters I pour all the filter's fuel into glass jar... perfectly clear every time.

"Improve fuel quality with Bio fuels" Soltron in commercial, industrial and road fuel

Maybe you ought to contact them from the website and ask question regarding ethanol fuels.

PS: "Edit" - Al... I just emailed them too regarding same. Maybe your question-form may get better/different response.
If their product could address the many concerns of ethanol, I'm sure it would be all over their website. I suspect they may have been making false claims and had to backtrack from those claims by removing the reference from the website.

I'll watch for your update.

@DeltaBridges - 25 Delta Bridges in 25 Days
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 12:11 PM   #226
FF
Guru

The best solution for a gas boat seems to be tank management.

Come home with only one tank with fuel, and run it as far out as you dare.

Next trip the ethanol will absorb any water shocked out of the old gas .

Fill for the trip , not for full tanks, unless you find ethanol free gas.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 01:31 PM   #227
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by AusCan View Post
A person can install a gas monitoring system on a boat for added safety if using gasoline or propane. This measures hydrocarbons in the bilge) and alarms before the LEL is reached. We use these in the oil and gas industry where there is any possible risk of of explosion. They do provide an very effective extra level of safety when dealing with flammables.

This one will automatically switch on you bilge blowers if a set level of hydrocarbon vapours is detected.

It will also detect other flammables sometimes left in a boat such as turpentine and acetone, which can leak and be much more dangerous than the gasoline or propane.
Those devices have become very popular and necessary on houseboats where vapors can come from the stern.
Old 09-08-2015, 01:34 PM   #228
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyWright View Post
I posted this link on a separate thread, but it has relevance here, too. Especially regarding professionally maintained vessels going boom! We'll have to wait for the report, but it sure seems like a gasoline based explosion to me.

Fish and Wildlife officials burned in boat explosion
I can't even think of how that happened. It will be interesting to follow.
Old 09-08-2015, 05:17 PM   #229
Guru

City: Maine Coast
Vessel Name: Tortuga
Vessel Model: Nunes Brothers Raised Deck Cruiser
Quote:
Originally Posted by AusCan View Post

I have propane on board so I have a propane detector that is set to shut off the solenoid valve in the propane locker. My insurance required it.
TDunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 06:52 PM   #230
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyWright View Post
If their product could address the many concerns of ethanol, I'm sure it would be all over their website. I suspect they may have been making false claims and had to backtrack from those claims by removing the reference from the website.

I'll watch for your update.
Al - Hope I get return email from Soltron, regarding what effect it has on ethanol/fossil gasoline fuel separation. I've not experienced separation. To date (seven years and counting); since I used Soltron to clean substantial crud and water from my two 100 gal tanks' gas I've experienced no problem whatsoever. Engines start first time, every time! I use Soltron at each fuel stop. And, if a long duration comes into play between gas ups - I add a bit more Soltron! I never even bother to check to see if the fuel dock has or has not ethanol added in their mix.
Art is offline   Reply With Quote