Gas storage

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KJ

El Capitan
Vessel Name
Avalon
Vessel Make
Chung Hwa 46 LRC
Assuming you have a dinghy of some sort with a gas outboard motor, where do you store the gas for the engine. If you are going on a "extended" cruise, how much do you take with you? KJ

I keep mine in a vented storage locker where the propane is.

a normal container & tank lashed on the aft cabin top with a vinyl cover to keep UV from degrading the plastic..
Extended and remote? or just along the ICW???

I normally have 5 gal in the outboard tank and another 2 or so for misc, small genset...etc... I wouldn't carry more than I can burn in a month or so as long as I can get to some place with fuel...on the ICW I gould get by with about 1/2 of what I just said.

The size and use of the dingy would be a determining factor also...a 25hp outboard compared to a 3hp is a big difference..manly in terms of distances traveled with the dingy as much as just burn rate...with a big dingy and 25...you may run 20 miles a day sightseeing.

Last edited:
One gallon. Kept in a typical 1.25 gallon red plastic container stored in the open cockpit.

Gasoline isn't hard to find while cruising. Not that I would pull into a marina and buy just one gallon of gas.

I keep it in an overboard vented locker in the aft deck. In the usual red plastic container, round, about 2.5 gal. An old one so has a plain rubber tube for a spout, no ventless contraption. Where available, around here it is easy to find, I buy ethanol free gas and add Stabil and usually Seafoam as directed.
Steve W

Any reason that with a hanging dingy on davits that the fuel can not be left right in the dingy?? I figure it's safer there than on board. In rough seas this likely would not be an option.

Any reason that with a hanging dingy on davits that the fuel can not be left right in the dingy?? I figure it's safer there than on board. In rough seas this likely would not be an option.

I certainly plan to...keep the dingy and fuel on board secure and what could be a problem?

I do think may wind up overloading their davits or making it too heavy to lift...but beyond that????

I store it IN THE DINGHY!

We carry the gas for the dinghy motor in the sailing dinghy in its cradle on the aft cabin. We carry a two-gallon plastic gas can for pouring fuel into the little built-in tank on the outboard and a rectangular three-gallon gas can with an outboard hose connection for running the motor directly from the can.

Our longest cruise to date has been a bit over three weeks with lots of anchorage stops and dinghy-ing the dog ashore and exploring trips and we never even got through the two gallon can. Motor is a 4hp 4-cycle Yamaha.

during the summer's cruise of 60 days, I have 3ea 3-gallon red plastic tanks.

One is in the dighy, which is usually towed or on weaver davits, the other 2 on top of the saloon, tied to the deck, so any fumes run overboard

I fill them all up at the start of the cruise with new fuel and usually I only have to buy 3 gallons or so toward the last 1/4 of the cruise.

As gas is substantially cheaper in the states than Canada, this plan works well.

my motor is a 9.8hp 2 stroke

When we headed over to the Bahamas, we took 5x 6-gallon containers plus 10 gallons in the RIB tank. The containers were all stored outboard securely tied to stanchions and a wooden board. Would not want to store gas anywhere that a leak/spill would get anywhere below deck, including spaces like the lazarette.

a normal container & tank lashed on the aft cabin top with a vinyl cover to keep UV from degrading the plastic...

We have 3-5 gallon containers plus the 2.5 gallon for the 15 hp 2 stroke. Same as Scott, the UV covers are to protect the gas jugs from the UV and they are easy to make out of Sunbrella.

Attachments

• gas tank storage.jpg
    gas tank storage.jpg
    160.1 KB · Views: 99
Last edited:
Two 2.5 gallon containers bungeed (if that is a word) to the swim step near the davits. One 3 gallon tank in the dingy.

Well here's a plus for us gasser guys. I have an electric fuel pump (on a windup 5 minute timer) that pulls gas from the main tank with a hose long enough for a direct fill = no storage containers...also used to fill the generator.

I usually have a 6 gallon outboard plastic tank and a 5 gallon plastic "jerry jug".
I store them both on the back deck tied to a cleat while underway. Last summer I also carried an additional 3 gallon plastic outboard tank.

My dinghy (C Coot) is manually powered. Don't need no stinkin' gasoline (or state registration fees/stickers/numbering.)

Last edited:
When we headed over to the Bahamas, we took 5x 6-gallon containers plus 10 gallons in the RIB tank. The containers were all stored outboard securely tied to stanchions and a wooden board. Would not want to store gas anywhere that a leak/spill would get anywhere below deck, including spaces like the lazarette.

How long was your stay in the Bahamas? How much of the 40 gallons did you use? What size engine? KJ

WATER in the air kills the gas with Ethanol in it.

The old army style gas cans or old metal outboard tanks are strong enough to take the pressure from changes in temperature with out venting .

No problem if fresh (moisture laden) air is NOT allowed into the tank.

I've heard that premium gas has less or no ethanol in it. T/F?

Doesn't list percentage.

Ron-- As I am on Keith's Ignore List (thank God, I hate having to See Spot Run everything I write)' perhaps you can pass on to Keith that when it says on the gas pump next to the regular, plus, and premium nozzles "Contains Up To 10% Ethanol, " that's what we call a "clue."

Last edited:
How immature, Marin. You act like a 6th grader. What's new?
But here's a big boy question, How many possible percentages are between 0 and 10? I'll make it easy. Just use whole numbers.

In Jersey...because the ethanol degrades fast....the ethanol is added by the distribution point...(read tank truck driver as he heads out).

2 years ago when ethanol was starting big time in the boating circles...a marina owner sent samples out for testing when outboards started having issues.

He saw ethanol levels of 3,4 and 5 percent on 87 octane marine fuel. Because it was never 10 percent , that fuel was never 87 octane as the ethanol is what ups the octane.

So no matter what the pump says, you can't believe it. Just as you couldn't before with pipeline shipped fuel as there was always some mixing...now it's even worse.

Ron-- As I am on Keith's Ignore List (thank God, I hate having to See Spot Run everything I write)' perhaps you can pass on to Keith that when it says on the gas pump next to the regular, plus, and premium nozzles "Contains Up To 10% Ethanol, " that's what we call a "clue."

I was trying to encourage him to learn how to do some basic research on his own. It's a skill I learned long before the Internet came along.

Ethanol labeling requirements varies state by state. Some states don't require labeling at all. Many have an allowance of a few percent before they have to label. Some have mandatory labeling.

Go figure.

I was trying to encourage him to learn how to do some basic research on his own. It's a skill I learned long before the Internet came along.

Geez Ron, why don't you respond to EVERY question on this forum like that? They all meet the same criteria.

How immature, Marin. You act like a 6th grader. What's new?

You're right and I apologize, Keith. While there is no excuse for what I wrote I will say that yesterday was a fairly frustrating day on several levels.

My wife and I are producing a young musician's first CD and we had some logistics issues that were proving tough to resolve. At the same time I and my video crew have been dealing with some really bizarre demands from Brazilian customs regarding the importation of our equipment next week that have been threatening to put the whole travel itinerary in jeopardy.

So between the two, by the time last evening came around I was ready to lash out at somebody for something. I'm sorry it turned out to be you. You certainly did nothing to deserve it. --- Marin

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom