Old 03-05-2016, 09:39 PM   #81
Guru

City: Port Credit
Vessel Name: DIRT FREE
Vessel Model: Benford Fantail 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by manyboats View Post
Get on the VHF and have flown in whatever you need or want. There is no remote in Western Washington state where I live now IMO.
Clarify please. You have to have supplies flown in but thats not remote ?
Do we have different interpretations of what "remote" means ?

boatpoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 10:00 PM   #82
Guru

City: Sidney
Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker;
Clarify please. You have to have supplies flown in but thats not remote ?
Everything Eric said from here;
--->>Remote to me after a few years in Alaska is no chance of reaching a place to tie my boat up to a float in a full day underway. Or no point in waiting for another boat to come into the anchorage. Get on the VHF and have flown in whatever you need or want. Docks are almost unheard of on the west coast.<<---to here, is describing remote on the west coast and not supplies but parts and stuff you need to get you going again. Or guests. Or grog.

The only way to be more remote is to have no VHF.

Hawgwash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 10:05 PM   #83
Guru

City: Port Credit
Vessel Name: DIRT FREE
Vessel Model: Benford Fantail 38
ok, I get it. The statement seemed contradictory until I read three times.
boatpoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 12:58 AM   #84
Guru

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Insequent
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 50 Mk I
My boat had a propane cooktop/oven combo unit in it, with a pilot light in the oven. If I used the cooktop, after turning on the solenoid valve, and did not light the oven pilot light as well, then the propane detector would scream partway through boiling a pot of water and turn the propane off. PITA.

I replaced it with an Eno 3 burner propane cooktop. No oven, I converted the space into two deep drawers. I keep the toaster, bread slicer and misc. bulky items there.
I do roasts in the Zeigler & Brown BBQ on the boat deck, and although I have a pizza plate for it as well I'm yet to use it.

With a 3000W inverter running the microwave, rice cooker, breadmaker and Nespresso coffee machine it is nice and quiet, anytime of the day. My crock pot is 12V.

I ditched an old 7.5 kW Onan as it was getting past its use-by date. Also a 2.5kW diesel MASE unit, 3000 rpm, that was taking up a huge amount of space in the lazarette and did not offer enough reward for space consumed.

I contemplated installing a Northern Lights gennie, but having decided to not have A/C I settled for just a Honda 2000 portable instead. House bank is recharged by 1820W of solar and/or 2 x 200A alternators. System is working quite well.
Old 03-06-2016, 06:35 AM   #85
FF
Guru

"but having decided to not have A/C I settled for just a Honda 2000 portable instead."

Great choice IF air cond is not a regular requirement.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 08:21 AM   #86

City: Clear Lake Shores,Tx
Vessel Name: In Disguise
Vessel Model: 1985 Mainship 40 DC
My wife prefers to cook on gas, either on a boat or in a house, however, my boat came with electric and a genny to run it, soooooooo "overcome and adapt"..........it works fine.
wyoboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 08:43 AM   #87
Guru

City: Maryland
Vessel Model: 42' Sportfish
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawgwash View Post
I knew what you meant. Your chain was just swingin' in front of me so I yanked it.

I did count.
I'm a counter.
Ask me how many ceiling tiles there are in my dentists office.

Anyway, up to my challenge of you, almost half made no pick of one or t'other and instead chose to jibber jabber about something else. The rest? Most are ok with their own gas.

In later years, I was able to task "my peeps" to count stuff for me.

-Chris
Old 03-06-2016, 10:08 AM   #88
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
The game changer on land and sea for us is the induction cooktop. Our latest house has a gas cooktop, hate it in comparison to our previous induction cooktop.

Many of our cruising meals are done in a crockpot, on in the AM and ready for dinner after the anchor is set. For baking anything, convection microwave on the boat is perfect. For many blue water power boat vessels, conversion to simple all electric cooking systems with genset off has become quite common.

Now with so many solar panels out there keeping batteries topped up, low amperage all electric cooking becomes even more rational. Get a set of Li P or Firefly batteries with a bazillion discharge cycles and electric galleys are even better.

Propane is so old school and just a carryover from our old sailing days. Ever seen a propane I Phone? And if one likes propane so much how about a propane water heater on your boat?

sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 10:16 AM   #89
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
Vessel Name: Small Incentive
Vessel Model: Boston Whaler 130 Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bay Pelican View Post
Any stories from people with electric stoves where the generator stopped working at anchor? Especially before dinner and the nearest marina not reachable before dark.

Nothing against running the generator, but they are complex and they are known to need repair.
No, They need maintenance. If maintained and run regularly a good diesel generator is extremely reliable and long lived. NOT running the genset regularly under some sort of load is bad for it.

Ksanders was spot on in his post.

As for noise, it is easy to get a boat and genset combination that is not very noisy, especially on the exterior as well. Even our old Onan in our Hatt couldn't be heard over ambient noise more than about 10 yards away, other than the gentle splashing of the cooling water. As mentioned, we lived on moorings or at anchor, and never got a complaint. Just to be courteous, nevertheless I made a point of anchoring upwind of other close by boats where practical, and shutting off the genset no later than 8pm if we were in a crowd.

I have known a few boaters who've run to of propane while anchored, two of which we had over for supper when they came over to see if we had any.

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 10:16 AM   #90
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
"Ever seen a propane I Phone?" Looks to be both an I-phone AND a water heater...Just sayin'

Old 03-06-2016, 10:19 AM   #91
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by manyboats View Post
Psld,
Where on the east coast is there a remote anchorage? IMO.
Geez Eric, a few fighter jets roaring overhead and outboards puttering around is remote for 99% or TF boaters. BTW PS, I like the idea of a noise activated genset.
Old 03-06-2016, 10:24 AM   #92
Guru

City: Sidney
Quote:
Originally Posted by RT Firefly View Post
Greetings,
"Ever seen a propane I Phone?" Looks to be both an I-phone AND a water heater.
What a great place this is for lernin stuff.
I just lernt iPhone is made by Samsung.
Hawgwash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 10:26 AM   #93
Guru

[QUOTE=RT Firefly;421605]Greetings,
"Ever seen a propane I Phone?" Looks to be both an I-phone AND a water heater...Just sayin'

Stop it RT! Don't you know this a serious subject? Now if you filled the kettle with a small Cu and PB anode/cathode and sulfuric acid you have the makings of a good 9V battery
Old 03-06-2016, 10:45 AM   #94
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunchaser View Post
Geez Eric, a few fighter jets roaring overhead and outboards puttering around is remote for 99% or TF boaters. BTW PS, I like the idea of a noise activated genset.
There are no remote anchorages....if getting buzzed disqualifies them.

I buzzed a Catamaran anchored at Cocos Island (275 miles SW of Costa Rica) one time.

Proof was in Multihull magazine a few months later...just happened to be thumbing thru the mag and saw my picture...

Hey if they have radio volume on motorcycles that go up and down with traffic/wind noise...why not sound activated econo-throttles like on the little Hondas?
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 10:48 AM   #95
Enigma

Everybody's a critic...
Old 03-06-2016, 01:21 PM   #96

City: Baytown, Texas
Vessel Name: Islander
Vessel Model: Prairie 36
Well I finally got my old Onan 7.5 running and it seems to work well. However, the thing is a real paint shaker and is kinda noisy aboard. I am surprised how quiet it is outside the boat with pretty much just the "Gentle splash" heard out side. Like others though I don't like making noise in the morning just to make breakfast so I'll probably at least have a propane grill to BBQ and warm water etc until I feel like vibrating the boat. Unless I did away with the genny I don't think I have a enough room for a huge battery bank/solar to do everything. Or, maybe I should just cut out the ol' leaky forward fuel tank I'm not using and put the battery bank there. Hmm, it's nice to have so many options, makes for interesting discussion.

Kevin
tallswede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 02:08 PM   #97
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
Vessel Name: Small Incentive
Vessel Model: Boston Whaler 130 Sport
I just lernt iPhone is made by Samsung

Actually a good deal of the components of many iPhones have been Samsung. The overall phones themselves are mostly made by Hong Hai, aka Foxconn. Apple just designs them.

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 05:28 PM   #98
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: "Sandpiper"
Vessel Model: 2006 42' Ocean Alexander Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunchaser View Post
The game changer on land and sea for us is the induction cooktop.

Now with so many solar panels out there keeping batteries topped up, low amperage all electric cooking becomes even more rational. Get a set of Li P or Firefly batteries with a bazillion discharge cycles and electric galleys are even better.
My brother & sister in law bought us an induction grill for a boat warming gift. Works great but it does need a "cake save" cover to keep the grease spatter down. We had a propane cook top on our Halvorsen but didn't use it in 8 years of ownership. We always barbecue or use the micro wave.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1139.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	112.1 KB
ID:	49584   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1141.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	82.9 KB
ID:	49585  

My passion for improving my boat(s) exceeds my desire to constantly cruise them.
Codger2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 07:02 PM   #99
Enigma

Greetings,
Mr. H. Had electric range (220V wired with 110V-sucked BIG time) replaced with 3 burner Princess range (propane).

I expect one's preferences will be influenced both by what they are used to and what type of cooking they do. I have absolutely no experience with induction appliances or convection microwaves so I can't really comment on the cooking advantages/disadvantages of either.

I use our Princess for stove top cooking the oven for roasting, broiling and baking and the microwave for re-heating and limited side dish preparation (steaming veggies, pre-cooking potatoes for grilling). Easy and simple for us. I do grill on occasion so that appliance enters into the equation as well. Not difficult to prepare a 3 or 4 course dinner for 6-8 or just the two of us.

The ONE thing I do lack is the recipe for Bahamian bread. My bread is quite good (even if I do say so myself) but pales in comparison to that melt-in-your-mouth ambrosia that every bakery in the Bahamas seems to have.

Old 03-07-2016, 05:20 PM   #100

City: Edgewater, MD
Vessel Name: Catalina Jack
Vessel Model: Defever 44
When we purchased our Defever 44 it had the original Princess electric range. The burners took forever to heat up and the oven was smaaal. We trashed it. In its place covering the 20 x 25 opening is a one-inch thick cutting board. Underneath is a newly-installed shelf with enough room left over for a trash can and more. We cook using a portable two-burner induction cook top that works quite well. For particularly smoky or odoriferous (is that a word?) cooking, I move the cook top to the sundeck and cook outside. I am thinking about installing a permanent induction cook top in the cutting board which would still leave me a decent amount of cutting board to use as a cutting board which would be plugged into the dedicated shore power or generator power circuit.

We are still struggling with what to do about the lack of an oven. At home we make a pizza for supper (home-made dough)nearly every Saturday which requires at least 500 degrees and preferable 550 or more. Baker's Pride makes a table top pizza oven and a regular oven that we are considering but they are costly, about $1,500 but a new marine range is about the same price. Plus, it would eat up valuable counter top space. I do wish there were a convection microwave combo oven that would give me 550 degrees but I don't think one exists. Oh well, everything is a compromise on a boat.

One poster claimed (s)he found an induction cook top as controllable as gas. That may be true but I am thinking that it would be an acquired skill. In any case, we love the induction cook top and believe it to be an excellent choice for a galley refit.

catalinajack is offline   Reply With Quote