Old 03-05-2016, 06:48 AM   #61

City: Mahón, Menorca
Vessel Name: Halcyon
Vessel Model: 1973 Grand Banks 50
Our current boat came with an electric galley. At first I disliked the idea, having had propane galleys before. What I disliked was having to run the generators any time we wanted to cook.

But then I realised that I had to run the generator as long or longer just to charge the house batteries. And running the generator with the extra load from the cooker is probably better for it.

Not having a powerful enough inverter, the remaining problem of the early-morning cup of coffee was solved by acquiring a small portable camping propane stove (which, for safety, I store in a deck box outside the cabin when not in use).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	stove.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	67.8 KB
ID:	49534  

Old 03-05-2016, 08:46 AM   #62
Guru

City: Maryland
Vessel Model: 42' Sportfish
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawgwash View Post
Well, I guess one take away; propane would be more popular on resale.
I doubt that's a universal true-ism. Probably true some percentage of the market would consider propane a plus, but I'd expect another percentage (maybe smaller) would prefer electric anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
Big difference between pressurized and unpressurized alcohol stoves.

Have used both and hate the pressurized, unpressurized wasn't bad....but still prefer my propane.
I don't remember which ours was. Sucked. Couldn't see the flame, took a year or so to boil water for tea or instant coffee (which isn't my cup o' tea, anyway).

Quote:
Originally Posted by caltexflanc View Post
Why the phobia about running the generator? ... Generators are made to be run.

We have a tent for going camping, which we enjoy greatly.
Yep, and ideally under a decent load... so electric cooking helps us load the genset better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bay Pelican View Post
Any stories from people with electric stoves where the generator stopped working at anchor? Especially before dinner and the nearest marina not reachable before dark.

Nothing against running the generator, but they are complex and they are known to need repair.
I'm looking around for some wood to knock on...

But we've not had a problem. Push button, genset starts, all good. Periodic maintenance, of course.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xlantic View Post
Our current boat came with an electric galley. At first I disliked the idea, having had propane galleys before. What I disliked was having to run the generators any time we wanted to cook.

But then I realised that I had to run the generator as long or longer just to charge the house batteries. And running the generator with the extra load from the cooker is probably better for it.

Not having a powerful enough inverter, the remaining problem of the early-morning cup of coffee was solved by acquiring a small portable camping propane stove (which, for safety, I store in a deck box outside the cabin when not in use).
Yep, ref gen usage; gotta charga batteries anyway, so in our case it makes sense to do that while cooking.

I forgot, I have a small one-burner propane thing too. Had it on board at one time, for early morning coffee... but now I think on it, I haven't noticed it in years. I might have to do some rummaging... for that, and for the percolator. OTOH, it doesn't seem to have been important, given how long I've not used it.

Bottom line for us is that an electric galley works better... given that we have a genset and I'm not afraid to use it. Can't say as that's a recommendation, though. Different strokes for different conditions.

-Chris

Old 03-05-2016, 09:30 AM   #63
TF Site Team

City: SEWARD ALASKA
Vessel Name: LISAS WAY
Vessel Model: BAYLINER 4788
Quote:
Originally Posted by caltexflanc View Post
Why the phobia about running the generator?
The biggest issue I see with people here and generators is not wanting to spend the $$ to buy, and or properly install or maintain one.

Diesel generators are highly reliable pieces of equipment that require surprisingly little day to day maintenance to keep running.

The problem is here on TF there are allot of folks that have older boats where the generator is original equipment that is suffering from age related issues.

Instead of spending the $$ to revamp the aging unit, or buy a new one, people will go to great lengths to find ways around them, or to discredit their very existence.

This is all purely financial and represents circular reasoning. They do not want to spend the money so they think up reasons to justify that.

I love generators and would not own a boat (or a home for that matter) that did not have a functioning generator.
www.mvlisasway.com
ksanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 09:32 AM   #64
Guru

City: Sidney
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawgwash;
Well, I guess one take away; propane would be more popular on resale.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger42c;
I doubt that's a universal true-ism.
What does universal mean?

Certainly applies to the large, wide spread majority here.
Hawgwash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 09:38 AM   #65
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksanders;
They do not want to spend the money so they think up reasons to justify that.
I like the one; "well, generators can break down, ya know; then what?" A properly maintained gen set breaks down about as often as "aw rats, I forgot to fill the propane bottles."
Old 03-05-2016, 09:45 AM   #66
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
My experience with the "don't run the genset" crowd seems to stem from sailing mostly and lack of experience the other (often the same origin).

Purim and pristine anchorages seem to weigh in many a discussion...and has merit but only to a point. Mostly.just how noisy the genset running really is.. if it is drowning out the cries of a bald eagle fishing the anchorage..point taken. If the genset can't be heard over the constant sounds often experienced in many anchorages, including the wind....drink more rum.

The other is the concept of having the genset last forever by only running it 10 hours year....doesn't make sense to me...but has to have a lot to do with not understanding the whole concept of gensets and their care and feeding.

Many will never really change..so setting up their boats to not require one might be best.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 10:41 AM   #67
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Non meaning to be argumentative but I don't think most TF members are looking to find excuses to change the way they do things or the equipment they have. How others do things and what stuff they have is interesting to read about but only on very rare occasions have I actually changed my opinions or habbits. In this regard I don't think I'm different than most here on TF. This TF experience is for talking about things not finding new things and/or new ways. Some start a thread on that pretense but I think it's just an excuse to get into the conversation. People are very apprehensive about posting as evidenced by the larg numbers of lurkers.

I'm certain I have learned new things but much much more often I just read and talk about things .. and have a good time doing it. I don't think people come on here thinking "I'm dumb and I need TF to show me the way." No ..... This is a social experience centered around trawlers and other boats.

Re the generators I just don't like listening to them. And if I had one I don't think I could bring myself to start it up unless there was nobody around and then I would want it off very soon. Running a gen in a transient marina is over the top .. IMO. Don't think I've ever heard that though. Just heard it mentioned here. Some people actually like hearing engines running. My neighbor is one. I like some engine noise at times but not as monatenous seemingly never ending irritating background noise. I've never yelled at anybody for running a gen and I won't bad-mouth you ... but I may move.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 10:54 AM   #68
Guru

City: West Coast
When we spec'd our boat, against the builder's strong advice (based primarily on resale -- but I wasn't building the boat to resell it), we went with a propane cooktop (but electric convection oven and everything else in the galley). Our motivation was not genset related (we knew it would be run it 24/7 so electricity would always be available), and we were not concerned about safety (IMO, very minimal risk with a proper install) or the hassle of running out or refilling propane (we have two large (30lb?) tanks, so when one runs out the other is online with the flip of a valve and we have weeks of daily use (which includes lots of bbq'ing) to get the refill. Our only consideration was what is best for cooking and as to that, to us at least the clear answer was propane.
MYTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 10:58 AM   #69
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
My experience with the "don't run the genset" crowd seems to stem from sailing mostly and lack of experience the other (often the same origin).
This describes me, sailor and lack of experience. This has definitely colored my view of gensets. Now I find myself looking at getting a boat that will almost certainly have a genset. My initial inclination is to run it as little as possible. Very likely, this inclination will change as I gain experience.

I still will be very sensitive about any noise I make in an anchorage, just as I am now. If my genset can be heard by neighboring boats, I am going to be reluctant to run it at certain times of the day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by manyboats View Post
Non meaning to be argumentative but I don't think most TF members are looking to find excuses to change the way they do things or the equipment they have. How others do things and what stuff they have is interesting to read about but only on very rare occasions have I actually changed my opinions or habbits. In this regard I don't think I'm different than most here on TF.
Keep in mind that there are plenty of folks here on TF (maybe mostly lurkers) who like me, don't have any experience or knowledge of the boats or systems being discussed. I am always learning new things because it is all new to me.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 11:10 AM   #70
Guru

City: Solomons Island Md
Vessel Name: Fryedaze
Vessel Model: MC 42 (Overseas Ltd) Monk 42
I don't have anything against running a genny everyday to recharge batt banks, make hot water or cook. If that is what the boat setup needs then its cool. I just like having the flexibility of not having to start and run them if not needed. With our house bank size, solar and consumption we can go two days in fair sun conditions. The down side is a good piece of equipment set idle and will decay away before it wears out.
fryedaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 12:28 PM   #71
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: "Sandpiper"
Vessel Model: 2006 42' Ocean Alexander Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksanders View Post
The biggest issue I see with people here and generators is not wanting to spend the $$ to buy, and or properly install or maintain one.

I love generators and would not own a boat (or a home for that matter) that did not have a functioning generator.

My passion for improving my boat(s) exceeds my desire to constantly cruise them.
Codger2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 12:36 PM   #72
Wannabe

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Name: Stillwater
Vessel Model: Kadey-Krogen 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by MYTraveler View Post
When we spec'd our boat, against the builder's strong advice (based primarily on resale -- but I wasn't building the boat to resell it), we went with a propane cooktop (but electric convection oven and everything else in the galley). Our motivation was not genset related (we knew it would be run it 24/7 so electricity would always be available), and we were not concerned about safety (IMO, very minimal risk with a proper install) or the hassle of running out or refilling propane (we have two large (30lb?) tanks, so when one runs out the other is online with the flip of a valve and we have weeks of daily use (which includes lots of bbq'ing) to get the refill. Our only consideration was what is best for cooking and as to that, to us at least the clear answer was propane.
My thoughts (as I have expressed before) almost exactly. Only one difference - I don't run a genny all the time and really appreciate making breakfast in a peaceful anchorage without firing it up.

If I went electric it would be with an induction top. I've used a few and think they are probably as controllable as gas. In fact, since I have limited space on the burners of my propane stove, I may buy a single standalone induction "burner" to add capacity when I need it. Only one problem - none of my pots and pans are ferrous!

Richard
Britannia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 12:51 PM   #73
Guru

City: Lions Bay, BC
Vessel Name: Phoenix Hunter
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 42 (1985)
Gas or electric galley?

We carry 2 X 20 lb tanks. One tank lasts the entire spring-summer cruising season. The genny was near-new when we bought the boat. I change the oil and zinc in the fall. At the end of the season, we run it up to flush out the seawater (we tie up in the Fraser River). We are pretty much always above the saltwater wedge.

Jim
Sent from my iPad using Trawler Forum
JDCAVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 01:17 PM   #74
Guru

City: Maryland
Vessel Model: 42' Sportfish
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawgwash View Post
What does universal mean?

Certainly applies to the large, wide spread majority here.

Heh... I meant in the "100%" sense... but I take your point about majority. Still, it's only looking like maybe 70/30 or even 60/40?, though? (I didn't actually count...)

-Chris
Old 03-05-2016, 01:35 PM   #75
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger42c;
Heh... I meant in the "100%" sense... but I take your point about majority. Still, it's only looking like maybe 70/30 or even 60/40?, though? (I didn't actually count...)
I knew what you meant. Your chain was just swingin' in front of me so I yanked it.

I did count.
I'm a counter.
Ask me how many ceiling tiles there are in my dentists office.

Anyway, up to my challenge of you, almost half made no pick of one or t'other and instead chose to jibber jabber about something else. The rest? Most are ok with their own gas.
Old 03-05-2016, 01:39 PM   #76
Guru

Ok, so, after 75 posts and some meandering, I guess for me now, it really doesn't matter. As far as the range goes, looks like I could be happy with either.

I still like to have an element of camping so on an early summer morning, I like to fry up pig parts and spuds on the BBQ out back anyway; stink up the anchorage; clean up is easy. If it's a lousy morn, most people stay in so a gennie isn't going to hack the peace.

No TV though.
Old 03-05-2016, 02:05 PM   #77
Guru

City: Port Credit
Vessel Name: DIRT FREE
Vessel Model: Benford Fantail 38
I do have a generator, I just don't want to hear it any more than I have to and I certainly don't want a quiet anchorage disrupted by the constant drone of someone elses .... I know, I know .... your generator is silent ... I must have better hearing than most
boatpoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 03:19 PM   #78
Guru

City: Kenai, Alaska
Vessel Name: Melanie Rose
Vessel Model: 1999 Willard PH
To me a large issue is that I don't want to hear a generator running. On a 30' boat there is no getting away from the noise. If my boat was large enough to get away from the noise by closing a door or having it otherwise isolated it might be a different story.

I enjoy my coffee in the morning made to the hissing of the stove rather than the racket of a generator. It seems a shame to wake up the world just to make coffee when anchored out in perfect solitude...
AKDoug is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 03:23 PM   #79
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Like many things discussed here on TF....so many possibilities...and really so easy for those with experience to figure out...just harder to pass along to those with questions.

I was in an anchorage not too long ago that was very remote. With 15 knots of wind you couldn't hear a guys 2 stroke outboard from boat to boat and a pair of F-15s were using the anchorage as a visual break point to start their bombing runs. Easy peezy...run the genset under the noise of thunderous jet engine noise.

Now by sunset the wind died off and the Jets were gone...very peaceful...and everyone either respected it or had quiet enough gensets.

My genset isn't perfectly quiet...but on one side of the boat it is noticeable out to 100 feet or so...the other side it is barely perceptible. So I try to make sure the quiet side is facing neighbors.

Polite isn't a hard thing to try and attain....as long as you try.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 08:20 PM   #80
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Psld,
Where on the east coast is there a remote anchorage? Remote to me after a few years in Alaska is no chance of reaching a place to tie my boat up to a float in a full day underway. Or no point in waiting for another boat to come into the anchorage. Get on the VHF and have flown in whatever you need or want. Docks are almost unheard of on the west coast. But remote to someone like yourself on the east coast may be very different. How remote is the anchorage you mentioned in the last post? There is no remote in Western Washington state where I live now IMO.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote