Old 03-04-2016, 02:16 PM   #41
Guru

City: Saltspring Island
Vessel Name: Retreat
Vessel Model: C&L 44
Diesel stove: cooking and cabin heat
Propane cooktop and BBQ: cooking when its too hot out for the diesel stove, and all ordinary BBQ functions, regardless of the weather. I have been known to stand out there in the rain to get my steak just right.
electric microwave and crockpot: neither get much use, but the mike will heat stuff up quickly from the inverter.

My boat came with a 4 burner propane stove with oven. I upgraded to the diesel stove and propane cooktop. Better results, more choice.

koliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 02:16 PM   #42
Guru

Propane galley all the way. Would not change it.

jleonard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 02:56 PM   #43
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
We have a converter aboard (1KW I think) but I've never used it. We've got enough draw on our house batts w/o using a converter. Quit inefficient I'm told. We have hot water underway from the engine and from shore power in port. Cook w propane (Chris loves her new stove) and heat w kerosene via Wabasto.

Most here on TF probably regard us as boat campers. Bigger boats and more money bring on a very different boat style. A big motorhome isn't my style on land either. I like to keep unnessary weight off the boat and systems simple. But even if we were rich and had a 50' boat we'd probably cook w propane. We don't like generators running on other boats. However a Honda" generator on board as a 2nd backup to the start batt has some meritt.

Having "all the comforts of home" on a boat is leaning toward being addicted to modern comforts and we have a bit of a negative feeling about it. Except for running generators we don't look down our noses at those w "comforts" at all. If I had a cabin on the woods I'd consider it a small badge of honor going out to the outhouse at night .... unless it was pouring down rain. And when we do camp it's usually in a tent but I don't rub stickes together in the am.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 03:14 PM   #44
Guru

City: Port Credit
Vessel Name: DIRT FREE
Vessel Model: Benford Fantail 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by caltexflanc View Post
Our inverter ran the microwave and coffee maker just fine. Problem solved.

What on earth is the problem with having the modern comforts of home on a boat? I missed the memo on that one. And anyway, our boat was our house.
Being at anchor for 3-4 days an inverter would suck down the batteries on AC appliances so you'd have to run the generator only. We can anchor for a week without running the generator to charge the batteries. Thanks but I'll stick with propane .... to each his own , if it works for you great.
boatpoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 03:26 PM   #45
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Once in larger boats with high electrical demands and anchoring out for multiple days....

There are all kinds of combinations how electric is srored/generated and consumed.

Each crew will have its own agenda and how the skipper meets that is even all personal preference.

My own personal thoughts on electric really started to change when I noticed how much marinas were charging for electricity. I am leaning towards an off the grid boat even when in marinas.

Practical? Why not if off grid while anchored for long periods. It may still be a juggle or dance when to connect, but it would be nice to have the option.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 05:58 PM   #46
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by alormaria View Post
We prefer to go out for meals. Our propane system is mainly decorative.
That would be my wife's choice as well but when anchored or underway, it's not practical.. We have a three burner propane stove with oven and broiler and it gets used nearly every day. We also have a microwave oven for leftovers and pre-prepared meals.

My choice is propane. Electric is impractical without a genset or shorepower.
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 06:01 PM   #47
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawgwash View Post
Every pound of propane burned indoors produces 1.5 pints of water that has to go somewhere.
Our IG has an OEM exhaust fan over the LPG cooker so our 1.5 pints disappears outside. There is an exhaust fan in the head too, that`s for a different reason.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 06:11 PM   #48
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr. BK. I'm not even going to ask why you have a cooker in the head....
Old 03-04-2016, 06:13 PM   #49
Guru

City: Venice Louisiana
I like propane. Much prefer cooking on the grill outside and have seriously contemplated a totally outside complete "galley" and just a microwave and electric skillet inside.
kulas44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 06:18 PM   #50
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceK View Post
Our IG has an OEM exhaust fan over the LPG cooker so our 1.5 pints disappears outside. There is one in the head too, that`s for a different reason.
The Coot has exhaust fans over the shower and the propane stove. Being noisy, the shower exhaust fan covers up bathroom noises. Shower is in back-right compartment; toilet is front-right out of view. Galley is in the saloon eight feet to the stern.

Old 03-04-2016, 06:51 PM   #51
Guru

City: Sidney
Well, I guess one take away; propane would be more popular on resale.
Hawgwash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 07:00 PM   #52
Guru

City: Saltspring Island
Vessel Name: Retreat
Vessel Model: C&L 44
About Alcohol (the cooking kind): My folks had a 26' sailboat with an alcohol stove. I learned just how unsafe they are, especially where space is tight. You can't see the flame, so on startup, before it has been properly controlled, the flame could be 12" tall and you woudn't know it.

I have personally witnessed only two boats that burned to the waterline. both were caused by an alcohol stove getting out of control. I won't have it on my boat.
koliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 07:07 PM   #53
Guru

City: Sidney
Quote:
Originally Posted by koliver View Post
About Alcohol (the cooking kind): My folks had a 26' sailboat with an alcohol stove. I learned just how unsafe they are, especially where space is tight. You can't see the flame, so on startup, before it has been properly controlled, the flame could be 12" tall and you woudn't know it.

I have personally witnessed only two boats that burned to the waterline. both were caused by an alcohol stove getting out of control. I won't have it on my boat.
No kidding.
Hawgwash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 07:14 PM   #54
Guru

City: Venice Louisiana
Alcohol is NOT the way to go.
kulas44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 07:16 PM   #55
Guru

City: Port Credit
Vessel Name: DIRT FREE
Vessel Model: Benford Fantail 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by caltexflanc View Post
Our inverter ran the microwave and coffee maker just fine. Problem solved.

What on earth is the problem with having the modern comforts of home on a boat? I missed the memo on that one. And anyway, our boat was our house.
Never said there was a problem, just stated what I prefer and why.
PS My boat is my home and heas been for 20 years.
boatpoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 09:49 PM   #56
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Alcohol has little energy compared to propane, kerosene, or diesel. You'll wait very long to see a pot of water boil using alcohol. Would not call it efficient. Have used alcohol to light up a kerosene stove, however; but it can be done just as well by lighting up some kerosene in the priming tray.
Old 03-05-2016, 01:30 AM   #57
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Big difference between pressurized and unpressurized alcohol stoves.

Have used both and hate the pressurized, unpressurized wasn't bad....but still prefer my propane.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 06:24 AM   #58
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
Vessel Name: Small Incentive
Vessel Model: Boston Whaler 130 Sport
Quote:
Being at anchor for 3-4 days an inverter would suck down the batteries on AC appliances so you'd have to run the generator only.
Why the phobia about running the generator? We lived on moorings for months at a time, anchoring when cruising the boat. In temperate weather, the generator ran an average of 3 1/2 hours a day, usually split between morning and evening for the purposes described in an earlier post. Sometimes as little as an hour and a half, sometimes as much as six if doing a lot of laundry or preparing something like Thanksgiving or Easter dinner. Generators are made to be run.

We have a tent for going camping, which we enjoy greatly.

Nothing really against propane, and having one or the other was not a consideration when buying the boat. But I liked not having to go through the hassle of getting big bottles refilled and not being concerned with the fire/explosion hazards. Again, in buying our next boat it will not be a check list item either way, other than being sure whatever system is in place is properly and safely supported/installed. When we go camping, all cooking is done via propane, BTW.

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 06:36 AM   #59
FF
Guru

Have used alcohol to light up a kerosene stove, however; but it can be done just as well by lighting up some kerosene in the priming tray.

Even the Arabs take the Primus out of the tent to light it by flooding.

Heavy black smoke results from not pre heating , and just burning kerosene in the priming cup.

I did some attempts wit using battery power to pre heat , but the Amp draw was too high.

A Spirits can as used by printers does a great job of metering and not allowing the alcohol priming fuel to evaporate.

The Euro folks would keep a metal ring wrapped with asbestos in a jar of alcohol and light that to prime.

For those not familiar with a kero stove , 5 Gal of kero will last a couple about a year, and cooking is at 10,000BTU if desired.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 06:39 AM   #60
TF Site Team

City: Chicago, IL
Vessel Name: Bay Pelican
Vessel Model: Krogen 42
Any stories from people with electric stoves where the generator stopped working at anchor? Especially before dinner and the nearest marina not reachable before dark.

Nothing against running the generator, but they are complex and they are known to need repair.