Garmin buys ActiveCaptain

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
If well-known anglers (not me) post a fishing hole today, it will be overrun by googans tomorrow.

I often sleep overnight at my favorite fishing holes. It's not unusual for me to wake up at 0730 surrounded by 3-6 boats trying to squeeze in where I'm anchored. They see a "big boat" there and decide that's where they want to fish! :banghead:

Many can't find their own holes with a map!

Last edited:
Garmin could drop it or stop supporting it in an instant and never even notice the loss.

I suspect it will become something attune to a plug-in for Garmin products. Running, cycling, fishing, and boating will use the same platform, but with info geared to the individual's recreational preference, and you can add, for a fee, the plug-in to a device.

One concern. Now all might go perfectly and I hope so.

This was Jeff and his wife's heart and soul. Their one and only. They were consumed with it 24/7/365. It was critical to them.

Very good point and I, along with many, hope that it all goes as Jeffrey and Karen hope.

If well-known anglers (not me) post a fishing hole today, it will be overrun by googans tomorrow.

I often sleep overnight at my favorite fishing holes. It's not unusual for me to wake up at 0730 surrounded by 3-6 boats trying to squeeze in where I'm anchored. They see a "big boat" there and decide that's where they want to fish! :banghead:

My cousin was the true fisherman but we'd go together. One Friday we caught eight bass, all of one point bordering the marina. We were fishing from the boat, casting toward shore. The older man who worked in the marina told everyone. Saturday, when we went by there were 6 people on the point casting out and 6 boats surrounding the point and casting toward shore. I think between all of them they caught 3 or 4 fish. By the end of the previous day it had dried up on us. Now, three months later we returned successfully.

I just went to activecaptain - livemap, and it has quit working for me on Google Chrome browser.

It still works fine on Firefox Browser, so must be a bug??
Last time I used the chrome browser fine with activecaptain live map, that was a couple months ago.

Chrome gives me a 'noflash' error page and tells me I need to install flash. Chrome has Pepper flash and flash is going away. Flash is dead and dying.

Greetings,
Mr. 717. "Flash is dead and dying." OH NO! Say it isn't so...

200.gif

RT

You have far too much free time. LOL

I wonder if some post bogus info on that site. For fishing holes, send the boats somewhere else.

Screenshot Chrome browser shows this no-flash error page.

Firefox works.

Attachments

• ACbrokeChrome.jpg
    ACbrokeChrome.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 51
  • ACfirefox-works.jpg
    ACfirefox-works.jpg
    168.2 KB · Views: 46
Last edited:
For serious blue water and long range cruisers, Jeff put out a wonderful maintenance and spares program called KTOE ( keep track of everything). If Garmin acquired that program, the gear heads who could care less about AC cold soup comments for a marina restaurant may be enticed to Garmin. Of course KTOE requires a laptop of some sort.

I wonder if some post bogus info on that site. For fishing holes, send the boats somewhere else.

Welcome to the internet, where people never lie on crowd-source sites. :rofl:

(couldn't resist) :flowers:

I got it up on Chrome, just took a while to respond. Much faster on Edge.

Loads and runs quickly on Chrome on a Mac. Just added a new marina into it.

I am running Linux Ubuntu OS, could be the software is not programmed to recognize the browser query info for Linux version of Chrome. This is really rare today, as 99.999% of all sites work, (my experience). And it was working a couple months ago for me on Chrome with Linux OS.

If someone has a Google Chromebook, see if it works on that site.

Back
Top Bottom