Galveston marinas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cardude01

Guru
Vessel Name
Bijou
Vessel Make
2008 Island Packet PY/SP
My mom dad and want to make a run to Galveston on the boat sometime in May. I'm looking for a place to stay on the island so we can walk around. I've stayed at Harborwalk Marina before and while nice, it's pretty far away from everything and we will not have a car. I suppose we could Uber over to Galveston if we stay at Harborwalk. I thought about anchoring out in Offats but not sure they can get in and out of the dingy. ?

Any other Ideas? Is that Moody Gardens marina any good?

You might look into the Yacht Basin, and Pelican Rest. Transients are welcome at both.

I just looked up Enterprise car rental and they have specials during weekends for $10 a day, and I assume they will bring us a car. That way we wouldn't have to stay on the island and can just drive in. Opens up the possibilities.

We've stayed at Moody Gardens Marina several times over the years, usually 2 -3 days. Fixed wooden docks needing some minor repairs. No privacy in the showers, they are in the same building as the restrooms facilities for the pool area. Quite a walk to the hotel but if you call the valet service they will pick you up with a golf cart.

No Uber in Galveston.
Willie G's restaurant overlooks a few slips at Pier 21 area. The harbor tour boats work out of there but there are a few empty ones and I have seen transients in there at times.

I don't know who you would contact..don't think it would be Willie G's.
Maybe the Harbor House Hotel ??

Harbor House handles slip reservations and payment for the half dozen or so slips in back of Willie Gs. It is expensive, but since it is right in the heart of The Strand, it is worth it. I have been in and out in a sailboat and it is tight.

Once I had to rig a long spring line to get out, but got lots of help. Another time I was enthralled to watch a twin engine express cruiser whose skipper moved the whole boat sideways with engine and rudder manipulations.

The other choice is Galveston Yacht Basin about a mile away from The Strand.

David

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom