Old 09-01-2014, 09:17 AM   #141
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
Vessel Name: Small Incentive
Vessel Model: Boston Whaler 130 Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter B View Post
Steps remove same area from horizontal floor space. Not so important if just a central companionway, but to access a galley down, they come out of saloon floor space usually, or galley floor space, or bit of both, and also usually opposite the lower helm in many boats, so another hole to fall down in a seaway, or entering the boat in poor light. Take it from me, I've done that...
Pete, can you give me an example of a boat where steps go only to a galley and there is nothing else down at that level? ? I can't recall having seen one.

Thanks!

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 10:04 AM   #142
Guru

City: Fort Pierce
Vessel Name: Florita Ann
Vessel Model: 1982 Present
Galley up except when we have guest and outside is not an option...very seldom in FL. Our bridge is huge. I am doing some mental design for more of the kitchen duties being done outside on the stern. I have fresh water, LPG Weber Grill (head and shoulders above the stainless sheet metal POS yachtie types) and 22,000 btu burner. Have not tried the grill as an oven yet. Gonna though. Thinking of a griddle steel insert for the grill to use as a griddle and keep flame off bottom of pan. Maybe iron skillet on top of steel for corn bread. Perhaps a wire grate to lift pans off the steel 1/2 inch for airflow. I have a huge slab plastic board for cutting, could be placed on trunk cabin top, elevated to a comfortable cutting height. Gonna drill the grill top to install a probe thermo. Easier cleanup. Does not heat the cabin. Will post pix Now that I think I have 'figgered out picture posting with the mobile app for I pad.

Mule is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 11:16 AM   #143
Ted
Guru

City: Campbell River
Vessel Name: Okisollo
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhmeissner View Post
Ted, I like that layout. The pilot house is still separated a bit from the galley.
Dave,
Your right, but the separation could be said to be more psychological.
On the port side the galley counter ends at the door to the side deck,
foreward of the door is the full size door (pass through?) to the wheelhouse.
On the starboard side the dinette ends at the thwartship line as the
counter. Foreward (directly across from the door) are the stairs to the
fo'c'sle .
The bulkhead has a 30" full height section between the wheelhouse
entrance and the 20"x42" opening to the back of the helm seat.
So, actually quite open, but won't take much to put up a couple of
blackout curtains for night running.
Ted
Ted is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 01:21 PM   #144
Scraping Paint

City: -
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
The galley down pic in post 136 seems to me the "normal galley down" arrangement as it is what was on every boat I looked at in the 40-45 range such as Albins, MTs, and some brands I don't remember maybe like Present. Not sure what the "other" type of galley down is and maybe a pic or floor plan would help people understand some of the opinions and issues.
The other type of galley down arrangement we've seen has a bulkhead and "cover" over the aft end of the galley. So it is a compartment that is visually cut off from the main cabin.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 06:15 PM   #145

City: Tennessee River
Vessel Name: SEEKER
Vessel Model: Trans Pac Eagle 32
Wink

I've been following this galley up-galley down thread with interest as I am still in search of my (dream) boat. On my dream boat it would be simple_ galley up would be on the fly bridge, galley down would be on the aft deck!! as on a dream boat the sky is always blue and the sea is always calm !!
jimbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 06:24 PM   #146
Guru

City: Powell River, BC
Vessel Name: Northern Spy
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy G View Post
This is colloquially known as the bachelors galley
Excellent! I am stealing that terminology.
Northern Spy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 07:19 PM   #147
Guru

City: Little River SC
Vessel Name: JAZ
Vessel Model: Ta Chaio/CT35
Quote:
Originally Posted by healhustler View Post
There are a few models out there with a single floor layout. My own boat has the salon, head, galley and stateroom on one level. The size of the galley allows for three actual countertop work stations when entertaining. Two can prepare gormet meals without interfering with each other. The window through to the salon allows one to be part of or separate from the action,..your preference. There are two pass through hatches in the ceiling, big enough for full sized dinner plates, that one can pass meals to the pilothouse. Headroom in the galley is 7 ft..

Everything is big on this boat, but the compromise for the space and single floor layout is that the pilothouse is a second deck affair, and is the only helm station. Unless one has the optional inside access, the standard pathway is out to the veranda and up a ladder through a close-able hatch. Normally, it's no real challenge, but in downpours or in rough seas, it can be. Here's a pic from the salon looking through the galley window, and a photo of the galley space.
I really like the two stateroom layout in the manatee. Great use of space.
windmill29130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 02:38 PM   #148
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Wife (Admiral) - Only 1-2-3 tip-top requirements:

1. Well equipped galley-up in salon
2. Plenty large area windows all around
3. Master SR with queen bed, spacious private head, closet, bureau, storage draws & shelves! Our Tolly tri cabin fulfills those requirements perfectly!

I can sure live with those "commands" LOL!! Color them DONE!

Pretty much all other boat design and layout and accoutrements are up to me... ain't life GRAND!!!

Cheers - Art
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Forward interior - Pilot and Galley.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	179.4 KB
ID:	32588   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mstr Strm Head - Front Center.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	122.8 KB
ID:	32589   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mstr Strm Head - Lower Rear w-Toilet.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	164.2 KB
ID:	32590   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mstr Strm Head - Upper Rear.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	151.3 KB
ID:	32591   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mstr Strm Stbd Dbl Berth.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	144.3 KB
ID:	32592  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Mstr Strm Port Single Berth.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	147.2 KB
ID:	32593  
Art is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 03:18 PM   #149
Guru

City: Signal Mtn., TN
Vessel Name: Stella Maris
Vessel Model: Defever 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy G View Post
This is colloquially known as the bachelors galley
Think I intimated this before, but any galley-down arrangement on any boat I own would end up being a "bachelor's galley."
angus99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 03:59 PM   #150
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbob View Post
I've been following this galley up-galley down thread with interest as I am still in search of my (dream) boat. On my dream boat it would be simple_ galley up would be on the fly bridge, galley down would be on the aft deck!! as on a dream boat the sky is always blue and the sea is always calm !!
There are a few boat, mostly express styling with the galley aft of the salon, designed just for the purpose you mention of dining on the aft deck plus integrating better with the grill. While breakfast and lunch are convenience meals, at least half of our dinners involve grilling.
BandB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 04:18 PM   #151
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
There are a few boat, mostly express styling with the galley aft of the salon, designed just for the purpose you mention of dining on the aft deck plus integrating better with the grill. While breakfast and lunch are convenience meals, at least half of our dinners involve grilling.
I've seen a few Defevers with that arrangement, 44 and 44+5 as I recall. Very small salon as a result, but great outdoor living space on those things.

On the GB 49 Classic we used to charter, galley ran almost all the way down the port side of the salon. We liked the galley down on the 49 Motoryacht we later chartered better, and that was when Ann put the check mark on "Galley Down" as a requirement when we went out to buy our own boat. Another good illustration of why chartering is so great before you buy.

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
Old 09-02-2014, 05:40 PM   #152
Guru

City: Signal Mtn., TN
Vessel Name: Stella Maris
Vessel Model: Defever 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by caltexflanc View Post
I've seen a few Defevers with that arrangement, 44 and 44+5 as I recall. Very small salon as a result, but great outdoor living space on those things.
I don't have the dimensions handy, but the 44 salon doesn't "live" small, George. It's actually comfortable and feels spacious compared to some boats of similar size we looked at. Agree with you on the outdoor living space--it's vast.

angus99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 08:01 PM   #153
TF Site Team

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Lotus
Vessel Model: Clipper (CHB) 34 Sedan/Europa style
Send a message via Skype™ to Peter B
Quote:
Originally Posted by caltexflanc View Post
Pete, can you give me an example of a boat where steps go only to a galley and there is nothing else down at that level? ? I can't recall having seen one.

Thanks!
Can't think of one George, mostly the galley down also doubles as the way forward, so again, has a disadvantage of traffic throughout it. That and the fact any living area halfway between the upper and full lower level has to be taking from engine room space, and for the cupboards to be reachable, headroom in the for'd stateroom or bathroom space I would think.
Just my personal view however. I have never had to live with galley down.
Old 09-02-2014, 08:28 PM   #154
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by angus99 View Post
I don't have the dimensions handy, but the 44 salon doesn't "live" small, George. It's actually comfortable and feels spacious compared to some boats of similar size we looked at. Agree with you on the outdoor living space--it's vast.

Glad it works for you; I have a couple of friends, one with a 44 and the other with a 44+5 and they seem small to Ann and I, but we come from a much bigger boat. Whatever, still a great boat IMO. Come to think of it a friends Hatteras 42LRC also had the galley in the aft part of the salon; about the same size overall area IIRC. Defever and Hargrave were two of the greatest pleasure boat NAs of all time, so who's to argue with them?

Tags
galley down, galley up