Old 03-10-2014, 08:17 AM   #61
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
Not quite sure where people think many "galley downs" are...but mines NOT in the bilge.

Almost every complaint I've heard really doesn't apply to mine or many other "galley down" designs I have seen/used.
I have the same number of steps as Baker shows in his pic and its galley down. Andwith the galley down I get a chance to pee when I get more beers!

Mystic,Ct. /New Port Richey,Fl
jleonard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 08:21 AM   #62
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Quote:
Not quite sure where people think many "galley downs" are...but mines NOT in the bilge.

Almost every complaint I've heard really doesn't apply to mine or many other "galley down" designs I have seen/used.
On some boats when they're down they're down. So the real question is up, mid, or down. The Riva Virtus and Vertigo are examples to me of Galley's down and separated from the activity. Now you're dealing with an open or a coupe and there really is no choice on those boats.

Several European boats though have galleys down in a similar fashion.

BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 08:45 AM   #63
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
The real discussion should be about similar boats "up or down"...comparing up or down on a 100 footer with crew and servers may get a little ridiculous...as would my old 23 foot sailboat.

My main point all along which I may have glossed over... is maybe the discussion should really be about desired or undesirable aspects of a galley...not it's location.

We easily see on some models doesn't matter because owner's interpretation of light/dark, close by or not, confined/not is WAY more perception than "fact"....which has become obvious the way the discussion has gone.
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 09:08 AM   #64
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Quote:

See pict on post # 9 - Complaints you've heard may not apply to you and me very much... but, they do apply to many Admirals, mine included. Pict on post 9 is what some women envision when they think galley-down. Go figure... but, that's the way it is in some gals mind's eyes!

Way I see it - Happy Admiral makes for HAPPY Captain on a Pleasure Boat! Top of the list for my Linda is Galley-Up! She is executive chef quality cook - and I love to BBQ up on sun deck, so, who am I to complain!
Art is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 09:24 AM   #65
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art View Post
See pict on post # 9 - Complaints you've heard may not apply to you and me very much... but, they do apply to many Admirals, mine included. Pict on post 9 is what some women envision when they think galley-down. Go figure... but, that's the way it is in some gals mind's eyes!

Way I see it - Happy Admiral makes for HAPPY Captain on a Pleasure Boat! Top of the list for my Linda is Galley-Up! She is executive chef quality cook - and I love to BBQ up on sun deck, so, who am I to complain!

I guess what you missed was the part of my post where I said perceptions are just that...not facts...and often the "admirals" haven't really done both types of galleys...so maybe it's still just perception.

Heck I can generalize too about my experiences on MANY different boats (owned, cruised, delivered)...first time the "admiral" is enjoying their "up galley" and someone trying to slip past for a beer jostles their arm full of boiling water and they spend all night in the emergency room...post "9" will be just what it is...a long forgotten chuckle.

Again...I have had to convince several different sig others on the aspects of what a galley is...not what their perception is. Thus it's a lot more useful to discuss pro/cons of features...not it's location.

Obviously "admirals" with many years and multiple galleys under their belt certainly should have significant input and some posts sound like they are in this thread already...
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 01:59 PM   #66
Guru

City: Signal Mtn., TN
Vessel Name: Stella Maris
Vessel Model: Defever 44
The FACT is my wife's perceptions determine the quality of my boating experience.
angus99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 02:20 PM   #67
Guru

City: Cary, NC
Vessel Name: Skinny Dippin'
Vessel Model: Navigator 4200 Classic
I am not a fan of trying to share galley space with living space on our 35'. Dishes and food in the middle of the living room makes for a crowded space. When you get up to 40' and above, yes, I would see the appeal, but I have seen 35' Marine Traders, Island Gypsy's, and the like at 35' with a galley up and you are in pretty tight quarters. Especially with the built-in furniture and dinette you end up with. No, I like our full-size salon (saloon) with the galley down and forward. Your milage, of course, may vary ;-)
Old 03-10-2014, 02:23 PM   #68
Art
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by angus99 View Post
The FACT is my wife's perceptions determine the quality of my boating experience.
DITTO X 10

Linda and I are tied at the hip - so to say... LOL! If her #1 "Pleasure Boating" preference is to have Galley Up... then, Galley Up it shall be! She does not give me static the way I want nearly 99% of everything else aboard boat, and, she helps out in everything for which I may ask assistance. God luv her - and - I gots no problem with galley up or down; matter of fact I could care less. One problem I would have is making my Linda unhappy by forcing her to exist aboard boat with galley down!
Old 03-10-2014, 03:33 PM   #69
Guru

Perceptions are reality. They become one's own reality. A key to all marketing is that perceived quality is what you sell which may or may not match manufactured quality. I can build the best mouse trap ever but if the public doesn't perceive it that way, it won't sell.

So, back to the boat. If you feel you're distanced or feel enclosed, that takes away from the experience. If you feel on a galley up you've given up too much salon or you're too close to the Captain, then that takes away. But to cruisers, the galley is generally a very important aspect of determining which boat they like.

On a boat we'd use for looping and other trawler like boating, we like the galley on the same or close to the same level as the Helm, able to basically take four steps to the refrigerator, and we like openness through the helm, galley, and salon. That's just personal but we don't like any high wall on a boat that size.

Now we have great friends that the husband is actually the chef and he prefers to do his cooking far away from the helm and his wife. The galley is his sanctuary. He likes to just go there and create. She jokes that she has no idea what he does there as some days he'll spend hours there alone, only showing up to bring her food he's prepared. But on land, you don't walk into his kitchen. It disturbs him to no end that at our house, all our friends just make themselves at home in our kitchen. He says they would be short some limbs if they did that in his kitchen.
Old 03-10-2014, 03:39 PM   #70
Guru

City: Santa Cruz, CA
Vessel Name: Frisky
Vessel Model: 99 Nordic Tug
I'm stunned this thread has gone on for two pages.
bligh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 03:41 PM   #71
TF Site Team

City: League City, Tx
Vessel Model: Carver 356
Quote:
Originally Posted by bligh View Post
??? It's on 4 and going for 5!!!
Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 03:48 PM   #72
Art
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baker View Post
??? It's on 4 and going for 5!!!

It's because of yours and Bligh's meaningful posts!
Old 03-10-2014, 03:57 PM   #73
Guru

City: Signal Mtn., TN
Vessel Name: Stella Maris
Vessel Model: Defever 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by bligh View Post
Please start a separate thread if you'd like a discussion on how long threads should be. (Sorry, bligh, I couldn't resist.)
angus99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 04:03 PM   #74
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by angus99 View Post
Please start a separate thread if you'd like a discussion on how long threads should be. (Sorry, bligh, I couldn't resist.)
There could be similar discussions of virtually all aspects of boat design. That's why there is no right boat, just the right boat for you.

While we probably haven't swayed anyone we have provided a good discussion of the various pros and cons and, ultimately, a very balanced set of viewpoints.
Old 03-10-2014, 09:46 PM   #75
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express
Yeah, it's good that this thread has settled definitively the problem of galley up or galley down. Now, can we get to the pressing questions of Europa style or aft cabin, single or twin engines, full displacement or semi planing, and the biggest question of all------fly bridge or no fly bridge. Yes, so many questions, and so little time.
http://moonstruckblog.wordpress.com/
Moonstruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 08:39 AM   #76
Guru

Quote:
Yes, so many questions, and so little time.
And too little money to try them all!!
Mystic,Ct. /New Port Richey,Fl
jleonard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 11:34 AM   #77
Guru

City: Oneida Lake, NY
Vessel Name: Radio Flyer
Vessel Model: Wilderness Systems Aspire 105
Galley up or down?

It seems that some people have a preference for one or the other. I'm just curious as to why? What are the advantages and disadvantages of each? Does it really matter?

I tend to be drawn to galley down layouts, but I can't really explain why... Maybe because it tends to give better visibility from the helm with no fridge or big cabinets in the way.

What do you think? (also, apologies if this is one of those 'which is the best anchor' topics!)
Wayfarer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 11:50 AM   #78
Guru

City: St. Pete, FL
Vessel Name: Seaweed
Vessel Model: Schucker mini-trawler
Send a message via AIM to janice142 Send a message via MSN to janice142 Send a message via Yahoo to janice142 Send a message via Skype™ to janice142
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayfarer View Post
I tend to be drawn to galley down layouts, but I can't really explain why... Maybe because it tends to give better visibility from the helm with no fridge or big cabinets in the way.
Therein lies your answer. As for me (the cook!) I want to be able to see out while preparing dinner. That does mean my galley is always exposed (I have clean-sink-itis so that's not an issue)

However, because you are drawn to down, that's going to be your ideal. Make sure you can do all you wish in your galley however! I met a woman who, to open her oven door, had to step out into the companionway. That didn't make for a happy baker.

And, is the refrigerator easy to use? A friend has a converted icebox that I cannot reach the bottom of. She's got longer arms but if there's anyone petite involved...

The two (down or up) basically come down to preferences.

One idea for your thought bank: On our 40'er, the reefer was next to the engine room compartment. My dad built a drawer (two six packs high!) so the reefer was raised and thus, easier to access without bending over. The fact that the drawer under fit lots of beer was an amazing bonus. Unintended, of course.
Old 08-30-2014, 12:27 PM   #79
Guru

City: Fort Pierce
Vessel Name: Florita Ann
Vessel Model: 1982 Present
You normally lose stateroom space with galley down.
Mule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 12:30 PM   #80
Guru

City: Sarasota/Ft. Lauderdale
I'm with Janice. Galley up for the view and to be in the mix.

But I can see why others may like it down.

Capt.Bill11 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
galley down, galley up