Old 03-07-2014, 04:43 PM   #21
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
It really sounds funny in one respect...every marina I've ever tied up to in the last 20 years along the ICW has spent 90 percent of their time telling me of all the great places to eat ..not where the cheapest fuel is, not where I can get spare parts, not where the cops or hospital is...

So I would have to take that as many power boaters really don't even need their galley...

psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 05:05 PM   #22
Guru

City: Solomons Island Md
Vessel Name: Fryedaze
Vessel Model: MC 42 (Overseas Ltd) Monk 42
Down galley for us. It was the number one requirement for the admiral after chartering several trawlers. The last one a GB with a down galley. She was hooked after that.

fryedaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 05:41 PM   #23
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in Crisfield, MD
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by seattleboatguy View Post
Do you prefer the galley-up or galley-down configuration on a 40-something-foot trawler, and why? From the pictures on yachtworld, it looks like galley-up typically has a little more elbow room, but it seems kind of a drag to have sink and stove in the middle of your living room.
Well there you have it, about 50% are right and about 50% are wrong (just like an anchor thread). Now all you need to do is figure out which is which.

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 05:54 PM   #24
Guru

City: Walnut Grove Ca
Vessel Name: Cary'D Away
Vessel Model: Hatteras 48 LRC
Perfect 50-50

Quote:
Originally Posted by O C Diver View Post
Well there you have it, about 50% are right and about 50% are wrong (just like an anchor thread). Now all you need to do is figure out which is which.

Ted
At least there is choice. My galley and salon are in the same space, salon. Pilot house up, salon in the middle, state rooms below. My Dinette is in the pilot house. We never use the dinette except when under away for lunch or maybe a rare dinner. If your under way the ability to share a dinner with the helmsman is a nice feature. The rest of the time we sit on bar stools or use tv trays. The galley down does make for more formal entertaining. But it takes away from the forward stateroom size.
Scary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 06:27 PM   #25
Guru

City: Santa Cruz, CA
Vessel Name: Frisky
Vessel Model: 99 Nordic Tug
Quote:
Originally Posted by GFC View Post
Galley UP, for all of the reasons noted above plus one. We donate several dinner cruises a year to local charities to auction off at their fund raisers.

Here's one of the dinner cruises. It's very handy to be on the same level as the dining area and also nice to be a part of the conversation, plus the guests get to enjoy watching GW prepare their meal. It's usually a 5-6 course meal prepared almost totally on the boat during the cruise.

whos GW?
is he for hire?
bligh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 06:31 PM   #26
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jleonard View Post
That is why we chose galley down.
My wife spends a big part of the day cooking. She likes cooking. We eat most meals aboard when cruising. She likes to see out when shes cooking under way or at anchor. She prefers galley up so she can be apart of the cruising and still cook.

Another vote for UP
Old 03-07-2014, 08:01 PM   #27
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Both galley and saloon down. Navigating up.

Old 03-07-2014, 08:30 PM   #28
Guru

City: Venice Louisiana
Galley up for fun , dont really go to sea boats. Galley down (and center) for ocean cruising, passagemaking boats. I love the galley up in my sportfisher. I designed the galley down, amidship in my trawler for crossing oceans. Totally different animals.
kulas44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 09:55 PM   #29
TF Site Team

City: SEWARD ALASKA
Vessel Name: LISAS WAY
Vessel Model: BAYLINER 4788
Actually your question is allot larger than galley up or galley down.

It comes more down to what style of boat you prefer, because some styles lend themselves to a galley up design and some to a galley down design.

Pilothouse style boats are often galley up. That's again because of the basic layout of a pilothouse boat.

I'm not as familiar with aft cabin boats but several of the ones I've seen have the galley down.

I would look at boats and figure out what features seem to go together in a certain size and style of boat. There are only so many ways to for example arrange a 50' pilothouse, and there are only so many ways to arrange a certain size aft cabin boat.
www.mvlisasway.com
ksanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 11:17 PM   #30
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by O C Diver View Post

Ted
Shat - Dat's ez ta determn!

Fer Gals - 1st 50% b up galy
Fer Guys - 1st 50% b dwn galy

Dere's da anser(s)... Wat's da problm??
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 02:52 AM   #31
TF Site Team

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Lotus
Vessel Model: Clipper (CHB) 34 Sedan/Europa style
Send a message via Skype™ to Peter B
This issue is an old chestnut, discussed many times. I suspect the real answer re galley up or down is…"wherever it is on the boat you fall in love with, and which chooses you." Then you make it work, because there are pros and cons for both about equally...
Old 03-08-2014, 03:25 AM   #32
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Someone commented on marinas telling you the places to eat and just the issue of whether you use the galley or not. I think it may be a lot like home for some but vary for others. For us, on days we move, we always use it for breakfast and lunch. When we're in port, about 50/50 for those meals. For dinner, I'd guess we cook on average 5 nights a week. So overall I'm guessing 15 meals and lots of snacks prepared on the boat.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 05:53 AM   #33
FF
Guru

Galley down...cooking is only a small part of the day for this liveaboard and galley operators (unless you eat all day)...the rest of the time it looks like a kitchen in your living room and takes valuable space away form the living room.

Actually as others have mentioned, galley needs to be where socializing is going on, the dinner table is within arms reach, short walk to the veranda, and windows on 3 sides. Besides, how far do you want to walk to get a beer out of the fridge..

Both are valid , some cooks hate a mob watching , the socializing just adds to the mess and confusion.
Unwashed dishes /pots pans can be stacked below and the cooks can join the after food fun with out living in a big mess of unwashed.

For a neat couple UP works fine , for the folks that prefer a mob aboard down is easier to live with.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 07:49 AM   #34
Guru

City: Maryland
Vessel Model: 42' Sportfish
I think I could understand the logic of galley up -- and aft near the cockpit. Seeing lots of those in the new boat magazines...

Anyway, perhaps useful to point out the galley and the dinette can be located separately. Our current galley is down, dinette is up. It's reasonably easy to hand (or carry) food up the two steps, so it's not really an impediment... and it's so close to the rest of the saloon that the chef can choose to be part of the social group, or instead can choose to tune out and concentrate on food prep.

The way ours is designed also allowed more/better cabinetry, i.e., on both sides of the "aisle" down there, because it could build into the interior bulkhead that separates galley from dinette (up) and second berth (down). I thought that a nice design touch.

Anyway, I think it's not a black or white question... since the answer somewhat depends on the overall boat design, the way individual owners want to use the boat, and so forth.

-Chris
Old 03-08-2014, 08:24 AM   #35
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by bligh View Post
My wife spends a big part of the day cooking. She likes cooking. We eat most meals aboard when cruising. She likes to see out when shes cooking under way or at anchor. She prefers galley up so she can be apart of the cruising and still cook.

Another vote for UP
We eat most of our meals aboard also, but still prefer galley down. Also sometimes its nice to be together in a small galley if you know what I mean
Another point is I don't care for sitting at a table all the time. I like relaxing in a real sofa. Just our preference.
Mystic,Ct. /New Port Richey,Fl
jleonard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 08:27 AM   #36
Guru

City: Biloxi, MS
Vessel Name: Cajun Rose
Vessel Model: Biloxi Lugger
We hail from the fattest state in the union so you know what my answer is. We like to eat and eat all day.
Besides you would have to be 4' tall if the galley was down.
swampu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 08:43 AM   #37
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr. sbg. Now, single or twins?

Old 03-08-2014, 09:10 AM   #38

City: Norfolk, VA
Vessel Name: Slow Bells
Vessel Model: Marine Trader 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by RT Firefly View Post
Greetings,
Mr. sbg. Now, single or twins?
Twin, I think.

I must say that the galley up/down discussion was interesting, and everyone seemed to have good reasons for their opinions. It appears that social interaction, or the lack there-of, is a big factor in galley location. I suspect I will lean more toward the psneeld line of reasoning, but I love the variety in boats and boaters.
seattleboatguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 09:47 AM   #39
Guru

City: Solomons Island Md
Vessel Name: Fryedaze
Vessel Model: MC 42 (Overseas Ltd) Monk 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by seattleboatguy View Post
Twin, I think.

I must say that the galley up/down discussion was interesting, and everyone seemed to have good reasons for their opinions. It appears that social interaction, or the lack there-of, is a big factor in galley location. I suspect I will lean more toward the psneeld line of reasoning, but I love the variety in boats and boaters.
I dont get the social interaction rational. Its a boat, even in a down galley you are only 4-6 feet from people in the salon. Heck that almost falls in the "personal space" rule area.
fryedaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 10:14 AM   #40
Guru

My wife just mentioned that she can keep ane eye on our kids better with galley up.

Tags
galley down, galley up