Old 12-14-2012, 12:16 PM   #21

City: Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Fill View Post
I little more detail would help. Do you wnat the boat to look like a trawler, wht speed, what design/modle?

Wehn looking for a larger boat we use the 45 Bayline as our basic as we liked the pilot house layout, and we almost bought one.
Thanks to all who have replied. I was not sure if anyone would bother with my request but this forum surly seems to be the right place my questions.
Here is a little more details of what I’m looking for:
favoring a smaller size, such as the Monk 36 that Woodsong posted.
single reliable engine and generator. prefer fuel economy over speed.
protected prop and rudder for shallows and debris in ICW, not interested in stabilizers
usable back deck/swim platform for water activities
no wooden hull
The longest possible open water run i would make is Panama City to Tampa.

thanks in advance,
cdag

captdag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 12:55 PM   #22
Guru

City: Trenton
Hi,

I like my Marine Trader. I've had it almost 20 years now and it still fits.

The other Al

alormaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 02:11 PM   #23
Guru

City: Thibodaux, Louisiana
Vessel Name: Gumbo
Vessel Model: 2003 Monk 36
I have a Monk 36, 2003, I use it like you mention, lots of coastal cruising. Trips from Apalachicola to Tarpon Springs or Tampa, Down to the keys. I bought her in Annapolis,2008, and brought her home along the Atlaantic ICW and Okeechobee. I find it to be an excellent vessel for that.
I plan to make a couple of trips to the Bahamas before too long.
Steve W
Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 02:33 PM   #24
Guru

City: Cary, NC
Vessel Name: Skinny Dippin'
Vessel Model: Navigator 4200 Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by captdag View Post
Thanks to all who have replied. I was not sure if anyone would bother with my request but this forum surly seems to be the right place my questions.
That's because your original post got grabbed by the spam filter. You had links in the text that you copied and pasted from the Cruiser Forum... It took a little longer for you post to get cleaned up and approved.
Old 12-14-2012, 03:32 PM   #25
Guru

Dag, I grew up in S. La. Came over to Biloxi to buy my trawler, for the same uses as you minus fishing (not that high on my list to mention). If you wanna go outside the marked channels and poke around, get a single screw full keeled boat with a bow thruster (or budget to have one installed). Yes I can drive mine around pretty well but I learned on boats with a pair of 16' square nets acting like sails. I want to put a thruster on our boat at the next haulout so my wife can handle it easily. If this isn't an issue for you skip the thruster. Make sure you get wide enough side decks to easily maneuver on. Some here disagree but I highly suggest a flybridge on whatever you get. You will see more fish and wildlife and lots of times you can read the water up there when inside the cabin all you'll see is glare. One non optional item if you're spending lots of time aboard is more than adequate A/C. I brought my boat back from Mississippi to S. FL in September without A/C wanna guess how pleasant that was at night? Thankfully it turned out to be a $50 relay, but we were ready to shell out a couple grand to get a new "reliable" system. Exterior wood down here can be a nuisance with the beating the sun gives. Can't really tell you any specific brands to avoid but will tell you to carefully check black iron fuel tanks on any boat that has them, watch the cockpit floors under the sliding doors in early 34 Mainships, check the cabin walls esp under windows in any boat, watch for blisters on '70s Uniflites, basically just use a skeptical point of view when checking a boat over.
twiisted71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 04:35 PM   #26
Scraping Paint

City: -
While the comments earlier about a larger boat having more room to spread out in are certainly true, there is another truism that can trump that in making a case for a smaller boat, and that's maintenance.

We are kicking around the idea of getting a larger boat in the not-too-distant future. But one thing that's in the "don't do it" column is maintenance. We like working on a boat as opposed to simply hiring everything out. And while we really like the two larger boats we are considering, there is also this:

Neither one of us wants to wax one more inch of hull than we have now. We don't want to wax one more inch of topsides than we have now. We don't want to maintain one more inch of exterior trim, handrails, etc. than we have now. We don't want to wash one more inch of deck than we have now.*

For the area in which we boat, 36 feet is plenty sufficient to handle just about anything the water and weather can throw at us. So it is very easy for us to make a case against moving up in size despite the fact that more room on a boat, especially down in the sizes most of us have--- 30'-45'-- can be a very nice thing indeed.

If one is going to hire out virtually all the boat maintenance, then size is not an issue from that standpoint. But if, like us, you like or need to do much of your own maintenance, size can be something of a disadvantage.

*Yes, we can buy boats that have no exterior wood to maintain, but Plain Jane boats like that do not appeal to us for aesthetic reasons, so we would never consider buying one regardless of size.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 05:57 PM   #27
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by twiisted71 View Post
Get a nice fat sailboat. 44 Gulfstar or similar Morgan Out Islander. Put a house over the center cockpit with a flybridge atop or just put a hardtop over the cockpit with Eisenglass curtains for winter cruising. JMHO. these boats will make much better trawlers than sailboats.
Maybe that's the idea behind the owner removing masts from his motorsailer:

Old 12-14-2012, 06:12 PM   #28
Guru

This is very tempting and right in my back yard so to speak. Yes it needs a complete going through but if solid this price would allow a complete refit of a BIG boat. I've spoken with some who say they suck at going to wind and others who said they really aren't much worse than 90% of cruising sailboats out there and you fire up the motor and just go where you need to. But they all said they like their boat.

1974 GULFSTAR SAILBOAT
Old 12-14-2012, 06:27 PM   #29
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr. 71. While I can appreciate your sentiments, that interior shot in the listing did it for me. Way too dark like a number of more modern cruisers (some Bayliners, Searays and the like). Similar to living in a cave.
Old 12-14-2012, 06:38 PM   #30
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
Vessel Name: Small Incentive
Vessel Model: Boston Whaler 130 Sport
A member here, Woodsong, has a beautiful Monk 36 for sale, good boats and lay out. My very favorite in that size range for comfort is the Krogen Manatee; such cool boats. As long as your truly committed to going S_L_O_W.
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 06:55 PM   #31
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by RT Firefly View Post
Greetings,
Mr. 71. While I can appreciate your sentiments, that interior shot in the listing did it for me. Way too dark like a number of more modern cruisers (some Bayliners, Searays and the like). Similar to living in a cave.
Agreed!

That very thing, your mention about cave living, is one of several BIG reasons we own our Tolly. We love well lit spaces and good outside views all the time! Also, and although loving to cook, my Admiral refuses to act as a true "Galley-Slave" sequestered away down below the main salon-doings aboard. Therefore, "up-galley" layout is another Big reason for our Tolly!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Craig, Taune, Linda Morning Coffee.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	196.5 KB
ID:	14742   Click image for larger version

Name:	Forward interior - Pilot and Galley.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	179.4 KB
ID:	14743  
Art is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 08:33 PM   #32
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodsong View Post
Can't go wrong with the larger bayliner but if looking for fuel efficiency as stated I would look at the Monk 36 with a single screw 135 perkins burning around 1.5 to 1.75 GPH.

And how much do you think a boat like that would go for, Tony?
http://moonstruckblog.wordpress.com/
Moonstruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 09:45 PM   #33
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by RT Firefly View Post
Similar to living in a cave.
Thats exactly my wife's sentiment about most sailboats. These have plent of space for larger ports in the salon. She has come to realize though that if its light out we're on the flybridge or in the cockpit. These boats can be had at a pricepoint that gets us into a boat we could only dream about otherwise with its weather capability and efficient hull. She's also come to appreciate the lack of windows and the greenhouse effect they have in our subtropical area. Like I've said before everyone has opinions. They will widely vary with different experiences and needs. A couple of hatches and some lighter paint would completely transform that salon.
I'm not trying to sell others on my preferences, just giving a little insight into the potential I see when looking at vessels others would shy away from.
Old 12-14-2012, 09:56 PM   #34
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by twiisted71 View Post
Thats exactly my wife's sentiment about most sailboats. These have plent of space for larger ports in the salon. She has come to realize though that if its light out we're on the flybridge or in the cockpit. These boats can be had at a pricepoint that gets us into a boat we could only dream about otherwise with its weather capability and efficient hull. She's also come to appreciate the lack of windows and the greenhouse effect they have in our subtropical area. Like I've said before everyone has opinions. They will widely vary with different experiences and needs. A couple of hatches and some lighter paint would completely transform that salon.
I'm not trying to sell others on my preferences, just giving a little insight into the potential I see when looking at vessels others would shy away from.
Points well taken, Twiisted!

I'll tell my "open-Window/space-luven" admiral bout your input... naw, on second thought I won't! lol

Art is online now   Reply With Quote