Old 12-29-2018, 08:54 PM   #1

City: Tisbury
Vessel Name: ALITA V
Vessel Model: Cape Dory 28
Cape Dory 28

Happy Holidays everyone!
Are there any other Cape Dory 28 owners on this forum? Would love to strike up a friendship with a fellow Dory owner. I’m brand new to this so in need of sage advice. Hope to hear from you soon.
Pauliemv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 05:47 AM   #2
Valued Technical Contributor

City: Litchfield, Ct
I owned a gasser for several years. Great boat!

David
DavidM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 06:07 AM   #3

What kinda speed did you get with a gas engine. I’ve got a Westerbeke 100hp. Not sure what rpm is going to be best for both fuel economy and speed. Hoping it’ll cruise at 8-9 knots.
Old 12-30-2018, 07:14 AM   #4
Valued Technical Contributor

City: Litchfield, Ct
Here is some data I gleaned from my gasser. It shows that it takes about 40 hp to go 7 kts. It will take the same power to push it that fast with a diesel. That is probably where you want to run your Westy for a compromise between speed, fuel efficiency, engine noise, etc. I would expect that to be about 2,500 rpm on the Westy. So I don't think you will cruise at 9 kts, though you could push it to 8 kts which would require about 65 hp but that is as far as I would go.

1,500 rpm 6.5 kts 25 hp
2,000 rpm 7.2 kts 40 hp
3,000 rpm 11 kts 100 hp

David
DavidM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 08:41 AM   #5
Guru

City: Satsuma FL
Vessel Name: No Mo Trawla
Vessel Model: Hurricane SS188
You might want to send a PM to Heron. He has a Cape Dory 28 but believe it has a Volvo.
Old 12-30-2018, 11:26 AM   #6
Guru

City: Cypress Landing Marina (NC)
Vessel Name: Heron (2)
Vessel Model: '88 Cape Dory 28 Flybridge #115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donsan View Post
You might want to send a PM to Heron. He has a Cape Dory 28 but believe it has a Volvo.
Yup! shoot me a PM or email. Lots of info in my albums here:

https://public.fotki.com/ttschwing/c...ry-28-trawler/

heron28@earthlink.net

Old 12-30-2018, 01:32 PM   #7
Guru

City: Rockport
Vessel Name: Ana
I used to have a 38.Name:  Iroquois (2).jpg
Views: 478
Size:  64.9 KB
Fish53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 02:18 PM   #8
Guru

City: Cypress Landing Marina (NC)
Vessel Name: Heron (2)
Vessel Model: '88 Cape Dory 28 Flybridge #115
Pauliemv...

You've posted numerous inquiries on the CD28 with lots of responses but you've not replied to, or seem to have received any of them. If you aren't getting notifications of responses to your threads, you likely won't get this one. Change your settings to allow that.....
Old 12-30-2018, 02:31 PM   #9

Steve I’ve been getting replies... maybe I’m not sure how to navigate this forum.
Paul
Oh...
Happy New Year!
Old 12-31-2018, 12:26 PM   #10
Veteran Member

City: Scituate
Vessel Model: Morton & Hersloff Webbers Cove 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish53 View Post
I used to have a 38.Attachment 83769
Hi Fish53. So that boat in the pic and in your avatar is a Cape Dory 38 hull? Never knew they made one. Looks like a Lowell design.
CptnPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 02:52 PM   #11
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnPete View Post
Hi Fish53. So that boat in the pic and in your avatar is a Cape Dory 38 hull? Never knew they made one. Looks like a Lowell design.
They built five 38's as fishing trawlers, mine was the last one and the only one with a raised sheer. It had a Deutz 1013, 261hp @ 2600rpm and a 4 to 1 twin disc 507 turning a 38 inch four blade wheel. I'm sorry I ever sold it but age, health and the National Marine Fisheries Service made it too expensive as a toy. Great boat though, I put it through some serious weather and she never gave me reason for concern. Happy New Year, Jim
Old 01-01-2019, 09:10 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Quote:
They built five 38's as fishing trawlers, mine was the last one and the only one with a raised sheer. It had a Deutz 1013, 261hp @ 2600rpm and a 4 to 1 twin disc 507 turning a 38 inch four blade wheel. I'm sorry I ever sold it but age, health and the National Marine Fisheries Service made it too expensive as a toy. Great boat though, I put it through some serious weather and she never gave me reason for concern. Happy New Year, Jim
Happy New Year Jim,

Thanks for the info Your boat has a real nice hull. Similar to the CD 28's - a true Downeast hull. I wonder who designed both. They are unlike the CD 36 and 40 cruisers that were twin engine and I think deep v hulls that i believe were designed by Clive Dent or someone like that. I am also familiar with the commercial CD 42 which was based on the Royall Lowell Bruno hull I believe and had a hard chine.

Do you recall the beam and draft of your boat? It has many similarities to my Webbers Cove but looks to be a deeper draft.

Also, did your boat roll a lot?

The 28's are big little ships - for a 28 foot boat they seem to have everything you need to go anywhere. Great boats.

Thanks,
Peter
Old 01-01-2019, 10:11 AM   #13
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnPete View Post
Happy New Year Jim,

Thanks for the info Your boat has a real nice hull. Similar to the CD 28's - a true Downeast hull. I wonder who designed both. They are unlike the CD 36 and 40 cruisers that were twin engine and I think deep v hulls that i believe were designed by Clive Dent or someone like that. I am also familiar with the commercial CD 42 which was based on the Royall Lowell Bruno hull I believe and had a hard chine.

Do you recall the beam and draft of your boat? It has many similarities to my Webbers Cove but looks to be a deeper draft.

Also, did your boat roll a lot?

The 28's are big little ships - for a 28 foot boat they seem to have everything you need to go anywhere. Great boats.

Thanks,
Peter
Hi Peter, Happy New Year to you. You're right she's a Lowell design but she's not a downeast hull, she's a full displacement hull, mine drew almost six feet. Her beam was 13' 4" and she weighed 50,000+ lbs. She did roll as would be expected with a round bilge but not too bad, I had pravanes but took them off as I didn't mind the roll and they collected lobster gear quite fast. I have to say she was one hell of a good seaboat, I used to lay in some pretty snotty weather waiting for it to moderate so I could set the gear again and never felt concerned.
My current project is a Webbers Cove USCG motor whaleboat that's being converted into a fishing/pleasure trawler with a 18hp Lister Petter diesel. Obviously I don't mind going slow. Jim
Old 01-01-2019, 12:09 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Quote:
Hi Peter, Happy New Year to you. You're right she's a Lowell design but she's not a downeast hull, she's a full displacement hull, mine drew almost six feet. Her beam was 13' 4" and she weighed 50,000+ lbs. She did roll as would be expected with a round bilge but not too bad, I had pravanes but took them off as I didn't mind the roll and they collected lobster gear quite fast. I have to say she was one hell of a good seaboat, I used to lay in some pretty snotty weather waiting for it to moderate so I could set the gear again and never felt concerned.
My current project is a Webbers Cove USCG motor whaleboat that's being converted into a fishing/pleasure trawler with a 18hp Lister Petter diesel. Obviously I don't mind going slow. Jim
Sounds like the definition of a tank. Good luck with the Webco project. They didn't skimp on the layup from what i have seen. As a former sailor anything 6knts and up is fast.
Old 01-29-2019, 10:29 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Webbers Cove USCG motor whaleboat

Quote:
Hi Jim, Just a follow up on this. I am curious to learn more about your USCG boat. I had a USCG Plastic 30 for a while and got a book on the USCG patrol fleet from 1924-1980 which describes and shows pics of many of their boats, including their status as of the publishing date so was thinking i might be able to find something on yours listed. Most listed in the book are 30-40 feet or so. Thanks.
Old 01-29-2019, 10:36 AM   #16
Guru

Anything would be appreciated, Webbers Cove is of course still in business and even they don't know anything about the motor whale boat. It's fairly easy to find the 34' utility boat as many were used as lobster boats up here, in fact a Webbers cove 34 hull was the first production fiberglass lobster boat.
Old 01-29-2019, 10:43 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Quote:
Anything would be appreciated, Webbers Cove is of course still in business and even they don't know anything about the motor whale boat. It's fairly easy to find the 34' utility boat as many were used as lobster boats up here, in fact a Webbers cove 34 hull was the first production fiberglass lobster boat.
Got it, the 34 hull. I will see if anything is in the book. I see lots of the 34's advertised as lobster boats and old cruisers - great hulls.
Old 01-29-2019, 11:51 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Nothing in my book on a 34. The book is Harbor Patrol Fleet. Maybe yours was used for something else. I dont mean to hijack this thread so maybe you could start a thread with pictures on this site or DEBF describing your boat and the projects you have going . It would certainly be interesting. I could then share with you some of the features of the 30 footer I had.
Old 01-29-2019, 07:02 PM   #19

City: Galilee
Paul,

We just finished our major over winter boat project, fixing crazing and blemishes in our cockpit and decks.
Filled and faired cracks and flaws, then barrier coated, primed it then finished with Awlgrip topcoat. We put polymeric non skid on and it came out great.
Starting on interior wood soon.
Mark
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_3689.jpg   IMG_3692.jpg  
seahorse69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 08:01 PM   #20
Guru

Looks very nice, I'm going to look into that as I have a deck to do when it warms up. How easy to clean would that be on a fishing boat?