Furuno radar

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rcan

I have a fruno radar model 1621 I was wondering can you upgrade the screen on that without replacing everything and rewiring everything any help would be greatly appreciated thank you so much

From what I remember the 1621 uses a different dome than any other model, so you are probably out of luck, but a Furuno tech could tell you for sure.

Not sure what you mean by upgrade the screen, but we recently had our Furuno screen repaired by Hyde Marine Instrumentation in Gloucester VA. Hyde Marine Instrumentation - Home

The owner, Chuck Hyde, was a pleasure to deal with. We thought we would need a new screen, but he was able to repair ours to like new condition and upgraded our firmware while he had the unit on his bench. The price was very reasonable, much less than even a used plotter from ebay. If he was unable to repair, he had already sourced a new screen from Japan, and had a used one in stock that he could have rebuilt for us. No connection to the company, just a very satisfied customer. BTW, while his website focuses on Furuno, he also works on some other brands. One of my friends just set him two Garmin units to troubleshoot. I'd reach out to him and let him know your model and problem, then go from there.

BTW, forgot to add, we considered getting a newer touch screen Furuno rather than repair our unit, but it turns out the newer screens are made for digital radar and are not compatible with the older models. Our MFD is an RDP-139.

Carolena's excellent post reminded me of these folks; I have seen their work first hand.
MEOB - MEOB

I would imagine there is someone like these two companies in the PNW, and the Furuno folks are typically good at referring, though their Camas shop offers full service too.

Can you post a picture of the plug at the monitor?

Some of those older 80's 90's monitors were swappable in the 1830's and 1940's as long as the plugs are identical and were wired the same and power supply is adequate for the array.

Furuno at Camas should answer your question too.

Not sure what you mean by upgrade the screen, but we recently had our Furuno screen repaired by Hyde Marine Instrumentation in Gloucester VA. Hyde Marine Instrumentation - Home

The owner, Chuck Hyde, was a pleasure to deal with. We thought we would need a new screen, but he was able to repair ours to like new condition and upgraded our firmware while he had the unit on his bench. The price was very reasonable, much less than even a used plotter from ebay. If he was unable to repair, he had already sourced a new screen from Japan, and had a used one in stock that he could have rebuilt for us. No connection to the company, just a very satisfied customer. BTW, while his website focuses on Furuno, he also works on some other brands. One of my friends just set him two Garmin units to troubleshoot. I'd reach out to him and let him know your model and problem, then go from there.
Hello, thanks for your useful post. Do you have Chuck´s phone number? Thank you

Back
Top Bottom