Fun surprise anchorages

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gwkiwi

Guru
Vessel Name
Takes Two
Vessel Make
Defever 49 RPH
We just found this fun anchorage behind the Don Cesar hotel in St Petersburg Beach Fl.
Thanks Active Captain we would have gone right by without knowing this was here, awesome time to go ashore and have fun.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 138
Last edited by a moderator:
That's a nice area.

There's the Hurricane Restaurant not too far South down the beach. Great food and atmosphere.
Historic Hurricane Seafood Restaurant in Pass-A-Grille, St Pete Beach

Also, just a block or two up (North) on the Gulf side, is the Undertow Beach Bar & Grill.
Welcome

Again, great little locals' place right on the Gulf. Normal Beach Bar fare, but last time I was there, had a great Grouper Sam-mich!
I promise you'll love this place.:thumb:

Check them out if you have time.

OD

That's a nice area. There's the Hurricane Restaurant not too far South down the beach. Great food and atmosphere. Historic Hurricane Seafood Restaurant in Pass-A-Grille, St Pete Beach Also, just a block or two up (North) on the Gulf side, is the Undertow Beach Bar & Grill. Welcome Again, great little locals' place right on the Gulf. Normal Beach Bar fare, but last time I was there, had a great Grouper Sam-mich! I promise you'll love this place.:thumb: Check them out if you have time. OD

Sorry I missed you in Clearwater after getting back in town my wife had the flu and I was busy scrambling to get ready to leave but hope to see you on the water will check out those recommendations , thanks

The biggest surprise could be waking up somewhere else because you dragged during the night, but that might not meet the "fun" criteria.

Wife and I cavorted down the entry staircase at the Don Cesar some years ago like Scarlett and Rhett. Had a few cocktails at the pool bar and imagined ourselves characters in a 30's era black and white film. Wonderful escapism! Not to be missed! Such are the events of cruising that make it worth the real world sacrifices...methinks.

Impromptu Air Show at Anchor

In the summer of 2012 three boats, Pineapple Girl, Bot and FlyWright, dropped anchor at Mildred Island for a relaxing weekend. As the anchor chains hit the bottom, our eyes were drawn to the noisy skies. We found ourselves surrounded by the Patriot Jet Demonstration Team and we were anchored not too far from the show center. The camera phone pictures don't do it justice, but we thoroughly enjoyed the unplanned aerial show.

img_212258_0_b64d754b4d0b4d2d7a36b5297ec6caf0.jpg

The next morning, we awoke to a Lake Amphibian practicing his take offs and landings in our little corner of the world.

img_212258_1_c65a8ca5774b0d80cb2eefd931c6fa43.jpg

Just some of those little surprises at anchor that make it all extra special!

Last edited:
I miss the special things the Delta has to offer it is a good cruising grounds.

FlyWright, As a retired airplane driver, I, too, love the smell of jet fuel in the morning. A number of years ago, my wife and I were beached in Lake Powell on a rented houseboat. As I was enjoying my early morning coffee, a steady stream of RAF Tornados came screaming by the stern of our boat, not 50' off of the water. Nellis AFB nearby - Red Flag! Lasted for nearly an hour! George

We were treated to a parade of KC135's doing touch-and-go practice at an anchorage that was apparently not far from the end of the runway. This went on for hours. I suppose some people would have complained about the noise, but we enjoyed the show. Those are some BIG planes! I can only imagine how many tax dollars went into the fuel they burned that day. I know my boat needed a wash down afterward. Soot everywhere. But it was worth it.
Cygnus_Fox_Point_2013_06_20_6453.JPG

Now that is the PROPER ATTITUDE.

Congratulations,
CCC

Jet noise, the sound of freedom.

We were treated to a parade of KC135's doing touch-and-go practice at an anchorage that was apparently not far from the end of the runway. This went on for hours. I suppose some people would have complained about the noise, but we enjoyed the show. Those are some BIG planes! I can only imagine how many tax dollars went into the fuel they burned that day. I know my boat needed a wash down afterward. Soot everywhere. But it was worth it.
Cygnus_Fox_Point_2013_06_20_6453.JPG

That's the sound of strength and the cost of freedom! Love it!

GTS1544, ain't it great when two loves merge almost seamlessly like that?

(Just saw your post, Wxx3. :thumb::thumb::thumb:)

Last edited:
Sorry I missed you in Clearwater after getting back in town my wife had the flu and I was busy scrambling to get ready to leave but hope to see you on the water will check out those recommendations , thanks

No biggie man, I understand how that goes! First it was my granddaughter, then myself, then my wife and son. that stuff has no mercy, and gives no quarter to anyone.

My wife and I did our anniversary last year at the Don. Great place, and well worth the stroll around the property. As a matter of fact, while we were there we met a guy and his wife from Michigan IIRC, who had floated down here in a trawler. We met him at the tiki bar on the gulf, side of the Don.

Great guy. Wish I remembered his name :-(
he really peaked my interest in the trawler lifestyle, and was very forthcoming with information regarding the vessel, fuel consumption, etcetera. Really enjoyed the conversation.

I sent you a PM last night.

OD

USN Blue Angels practicing near Pensacola Fl. over a friends boat a couple of years ago. Their show and practice schedules can be found online, if you are ever near one don't miss the opportunity to see it.

Attachments

• Moondance Blue angels.jpg
    Moondance Blue angels.jpg
    165.5 KB · Views: 90
I agree.
I used to teach state motorcycle classed just up the street a few blocks from MacDill AFB. When they'd have an airshow, we got the show...without the crowds!

Sure are a blast to watch!

No crowds?

img_212503_0_b2c0751ad208c53584d0f3ed11bb94ae.jpg

USN Blue Angels practicing near Pensacola Fl. over a friends boat a couple of years ago. Their show and practice schedules can be found online, if you are ever near one don't miss the opportunity to see it.

Same anchorage, on the day of an air show:
Pease_Air_Show_2011_08_13_6204.JPG

I'm told folks on shore waited hours in traffic just to get out of the parking lot. One of the benefits of owning a boat.

The problem with this spot is that the planes went over so fast and so low that I never had time to focus. Eventually I just put down the camera and enjoyed the show.

Al

Ah . . . Vapes! Fun to watch but even more fun to make. US Naval Aviation, a tradition of turning dinosaurs into noise!

Great shot.

Larry

Gents, Years ago, during the Falklands debate between GB and Argentina, the wife and I were anchored just off of the Roosevelt Roads Naval Station in southeastern Puerto Rico. We were kept awake all night and treated to one hell of an airshow by the continuous comings and goings of all that heavy iron, but, please don't misunderstand, we weren't involved! George

Gents, Years ago, during the Falklands debate between GB and Argentina, the wife and I were anchored just off of the Roosevelt Roads Naval Station in southeastern Puerto Rico. We were kept awake all night and treated to one hell of an airshow by the continuous comings and goings of all that heavy iron, but, please don't misunderstand, we weren't involved! George

I was stationed at Guantanamo on a USCG deployment during the Falklands..... what did you think the Navy was doing from PR ?

There wasn't any scuttlebutt at GITMO about US involvement and the Falklands are over 4800 miles away if you flew over Argentina so I'm guessing a lot longer.

I'd love to know if we did have any involvement other than possibly satellite and /or spy plane activity...it would have been politically catastrophic to have had hardware or personnel casualties in theater.

I don't have any inside information, but as an former naval aviation type, airline pilot and a resident of the island, there was an unusual amount of heavy tanker and transport traffic in evidence. While I doubt that there was any "direct involvement", I would be very surprised if we were not providing a lot of "support" to our staunchest ally! We sure didn't get any sleep for several nights! George

Back
Top Bottom