Old 02-11-2014, 04:58 AM   #21
Veteran Member

City: Cheyenne, WY
Vessel Name: Wanderlust
Vessel Model: Gulfstar 36 Trawler
Send a message via Skype™ to gts1544
Gents, Years ago, during the Falklands debate between GB and Argentina, the wife and I were anchored just off of the Roosevelt Roads Naval Station in southeastern Puerto Rico. We were kept awake all night and treated to one hell of an airshow by the continuous comings and goings of all that heavy iron, but, please don't misunderstand, we weren't involved! George

gts1544 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 08:29 AM   #22
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by gts1544 View Post
Gents, Years ago, during the Falklands debate between GB and Argentina, the wife and I were anchored just off of the Roosevelt Roads Naval Station in southeastern Puerto Rico. We were kept awake all night and treated to one hell of an airshow by the continuous comings and goings of all that heavy iron, but, please don't misunderstand, we weren't involved! George
I was stationed at Guantanamo on a USCG deployment during the Falklands..... what did you think the Navy was doing from PR ?

There wasn't any scuttlebutt at GITMO about US involvement and the Falklands are over 4800 miles away if you flew over Argentina so I'm guessing a lot longer.

I'd love to know if we did have any involvement other than possibly satellite and /or spy plane activity...it would have been politically catastrophic to have had hardware or personnel casualties in theater.

psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 07:41 PM   #23
Veteran Member

City: Cheyenne, WY
Vessel Name: Wanderlust
Vessel Model: Gulfstar 36 Trawler
Send a message via Skype™ to gts1544
I don't have any inside information, but as an former naval aviation type, airline pilot and a resident of the island, there was an unusual amount of heavy tanker and transport traffic in evidence. While I doubt that there was any "direct involvement", I would be very surprised if we were not providing a lot of "support" to our staunchest ally! We sure didn't get any sleep for several nights! George

gts1544 is offline   Reply With Quote