Fun Boatyard Visit

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HopCar

Guru
Vessel Name
Possum
Vessel Make
Ellis 28
I took a little wooden skiff over to Merrill-Stevens boat yard today to get some woodwork done.

I love Merrill-Stevens. Every time I go there I see an interesting or famous boat. Today was no exception.

The first boat that caught my eye was a small brightly colored boat with no visible signs of propulsion, That is until I spotted the oar locks and sliding seat. I asked John Spencer the yard manager about it. He said it had been rowed across the Atlantic!

I asked John where I should put the little skiff I had brought. He told me to stick it in the big tent. As I was backing it into the tent I saw a stunningly beautiful wooden boat with the name Pilar on it. I know the original Pilar is in Havana so I assumed this was a replica. No, it was the older sister of the famous Pilar. Merrill-Stevens had just repainted it. The paint, Awlgrip Black, was wonderfully glossy but you could tell it was a real wooden boat,

I hope my cell phone pictures post ok.

Attachments

• rowboat 4-15.jpg
    rowboat 4-15.jpg
    111 KB · Views: 112
  • Pilar4-15.jpg
    Pilar4-15.jpg
    111.1 KB · Views: 109
That is a cool visit :thumb::thumb:

I wonder if that Pilar has the same or similar propulsion scheme as the original? I've lusted for that boat or a fiberglass replica for years.

As I was backing it into the tent I saw a stunningly beautiful wooden boat with the name Pilar on it. I know the original Pilar is in Havana so I assumed this was a replica. No, it was the older sister of the famous Pilar.

Was it the Pilar-sistership that's been on display at the Outdoor World/Bass Pro in Islamorada? We toured on that one once when we lived down in Miami, very interesting!

-Chris

Wonder why one of the wood boat builders up in Maine of maybe the PNW doesn't offer / custom build an exact replica and simply call it the "Pilar"? Have to think there is enough interest to offer it as a stock design custom build.

Ted

Somebody just restored one like it in wood for the new movie coming out with Jon Voight as Hemingway and Andy Garcia .

Bill and Chris, no it's not the one from Bass Pro in the Keys.
The actor Andy Garcia has been talking about making a movie about Hemmingway for some time. He had come by the boat yard to look at the boat.

Marty, you beat me to it.

There was an article in Woodenboat about one being restored at Moores Marine for the movie .

There was an article in Woodenboat about one being restored at Moores Marine for the movie .

I had started a thread linked to that article back when it came out. They made a number of changes for the movie boat if I recall.

Back
Top Bottom