Closed Thread

Old 01-24-2014, 07:29 PM   #21
Guru

City: Venice Louisiana
I would say that over 99 percent of the people in the U.S. relate to statute miles, and mpg. And speak English, but if you wanna speak Portugese thats ok to.

Old 01-24-2014, 07:43 PM   #22

City: Sharbot Lake
Vessel Name: Manatee
Vessel Model: 1976 Albin 25 DeLuxe
litres per 100 kms up here, not mpg. The gallons are bigger up here as well! And that doesn't translate well to nautical life. For non-linear weekend cruising as we do, gph or lph has much more relevance.

Old 01-24-2014, 08:09 PM   #23
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by kulas44 View Post
I would say that over 99 percent of the people in the U.S. relate to statute miles, and mpg. And speak English, but if you wanna speak Portugese thats ok to.
99% of the people in the US shouldn't captain a cruising vessel either...

No one I know in the maritime professions...just yachties going down the ICW following the magenta line and trip planning via waterway guide....
Old 01-24-2014, 08:19 PM   #24
Guru

City: Pensacola
Quote:
I really enjoy posts like this that tell me how much fuel a particular boat has used. What is less important to me is miles travelled, gallons per hour and totall fuel purchased. MPG is king, period. In Statute miles, which we all understand. And I do agree, if you are stuck to the dock you may be a little peeved at those actually burning fuel, well, suks bein you.
Actually I use Nautical miles and Gallons Per hour. That is the method to my madness
Old 01-24-2014, 08:22 PM   #25
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
It gets better...

miles per US gallon → L/100 km: 235 / mpgUS = L/100 km miles per Imp. gallon → L/100 km: 282 / mpgImp. = L/100 km L/100 km → miles per US gallon: 235 / (L/100 km) = mpgUS L/100 km → miles per Imp. gallon: 282 / (L/100 km) = mpgImp.

Further 1"=2.54cm....And the clincher is: one torr is exactly 101325/760 ≈ 133.3 pascals.
So there!

Old 01-24-2014, 08:23 PM   #26
Guru

Quote:
Why the insult,? I speak Nautical Miles and I speak English. The US Navy uses Nautical miles both in Surface and Aviation navigation.

You aren't the most correct because you are the loudest...
Old 01-24-2014, 08:32 PM   #27
Guru

I can use my burn rate per hour on an ERPM chart to determine best speed for efficiency and use that the estimate my GPH for a very accurate fuel state for cost and distance. I couldn't be as accurate using a MPH fuzzy math guesstimate.
Old 01-24-2014, 08:39 PM   #28
Dauntless Award

City: New York, NY
Vessel Name: Dauntless
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 42 - 148
If using charts with latitude and longitude, than it's only logical to use nautical miles and therefore knots.

If using rand McNally maps, then use your odometer.

On another note, the USAF used nautical in Europe, but statute miles in conus. Since air and wind speeds were in knots, that didn't make any sense, but then have I told you about the ROE in Vietnam recently?
Nuff said.
Find us: https://share.delorme.com/dauntless
Old 01-24-2014, 08:42 PM   #29

City: Fulton, Missouri
Vessel Name: Attitude Adjustment
Vessel Model: Mainship 34
I use nautical miles (knots) cause I'm on a boat!

And knowing fuel consumption is useful, if for no other reason than helping in planning your fuel stops.
Old 01-24-2014, 08:45 PM   #30
Guru

City: Wilmington, NC
Vessel Name: Louisa
Vessel Model: Custom Built 38
MPG is a stupid measure. Dependent variable in the denominator. Better to use volume burned per distance traveled, but whatever.

I burn 1.9gph at 950rpm, 7.7kts, right at 4nmpg. I burn 11gph at 2000rpm, 20kts, right at 1.8nmpg.

I can afford to run fast, but I damn sure need to be in a hurry to do so. If in no hurry, I go slow and enjoy the ride.

And saying the fuel is a small part of the money equation: Absolutely correct. However, once you have bought a boat and secured a slip and done the maintenance, etc, etc, those costs are sunk. Can't control them. Drive the boat fast, slow, or not at all, those numbers don't change (much). But when traveling, you do have a choice at speed and burn rate. And that choice will affect what is in your pocket!!

I can run 7.7, 20, and up to 25kts. I run 7.7. And every now and then just for kicks, it is super nice to knock back some serious miles quick, or shake off some annoying boat behind me!!

Mere mortals do need to consider fuel cost.
Old 01-24-2014, 08:48 PM   #31

City: Redlands
For what it's worth: my trip so far (9 months, just under 6,000 miles) has been primarily on the ICW and inland waterways, both are measured (on the charts) in statute miles. As I move off shore into the Bahamas, I will switch to nautical miles as that is the convention.

Back to fuel usage and cost: a very rough calculation puts fuel usage as part of my cruising costs (exclusive of food, entertainment, etc. which I would have whether living on land or boat) at 12% of total costs for this year including the cost of the boat.

When trying to figure out if I could afford to make this trip and live this life style, the collected wisdom on this forum was very helpful to me. So thanks very much for helping my dream my dream come true.

Arch
Old 01-24-2014, 09:14 PM   #32

City: Maumelle, AR
"MPG is a stupid measure". Wow. Even though every single "mile" on the charts for my recent 1000 mile trip was in statute miles I should not have used that measurement? However, I do know how much fuel I need for my next planned trip.
Old 01-24-2014, 09:45 PM   #33
Guru

City: Wilmington, NC
Vessel Name: Louisa
Vessel Model: Custom Built 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikeandboat View Post
"MPG is a stupid measure". Wow. Even though every single "mile" on the charts for my recent 1000 mile trip was in statute miles I should not have used that measurement? However, I do know how much fuel I need for my next planned trip.
What I meant was a better measure is "gal per x distance" like gal per hundred miles, or gals per thousand miles. The inverse of mpg. Makes more sense mathematically. I too use mpg (as I posted), but there are better ways to express burn rate.
Old 01-24-2014, 10:35 PM   #34
Guru

City: Anchorage/Wrangell
Vessel Name: Silver Bay
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 42-002
What it all comes down to is data and math. If you have the data you can do the math any way you want to. All I know is last summer, we burned 538 US gallons of diesel, covered 2658 statute miles (or something close to that), and had the engine running for 440 hours (1.31 fortnights).

Tom
Old 01-24-2014, 10:46 PM   #35
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wxx3 View Post
If using charts with latitude and longitude, than it's only logical to use nautical miles and therefore knots.

If using rand McNally maps, then use your odometer.

On another note, the USAF used nautical in Europe, but statute miles in conus. Since air and wind speeds were in knots, that didn't make any sense, but then have I told you about the ROE in Vietnam recently?
Nuff said.
Lol. Too true! Funny!
Old 01-24-2014, 11:31 PM   #36

City: Florida USA and Ontario Canada
Vessel Name: anytime
Vessel Model: 2007 Chaparral 270 Signature LOA 29'
MPG (M/G) … GPH (G/H) … MPH (M/H) … all useful and related by the equation …

M/G x G/H = M/H
... or the metric version ... KM/L x L/H = KM/H

... which can be used to calculate any of M, G, H whenever other data is captured/available.

As for the units used … does it really matter? The results can always be converted to one common set and compared.

Now, how about magnetic versus true north?
Old 01-24-2014, 11:35 PM   #37
Guru

City: Scottsboro, Al.
Vessel Name: Hi-D-Ho
Vessel Model: 1987 Krogen Manatee
Arch is Hoppies on the Mississippi still the most unique stop on the loop. Did it in 2002 in a 1986 Monk36. First diesel fuel taken on was 98.9 cents a gallon eight months later $1.399, those where the days but only the tip of the increases to come. Did you fuel in Canada at like $5.50 a gallon converting liters to gallons ?
Add to the conversation, but be aware that others have opinions and we all know what opinions are like.
Good information, I would love to loop again one day and now have the perfect trawler for this great trip.
Bill
Old 01-24-2014, 11:35 PM   #38
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
If you are anywhere near in knowledge of what you have in your money stash, what your boat's engines do for mileage/fuel-use, how far you plan to travel, and how much enjoyment you want to experience.... then all this stuff about nmpg / gph / fighting currents / bucking waves / pushing into winds / using gen set... etc, etc is simply static noise to be kept way in the background.

Either you have the dough$$$ to cruise as your choose and as your boat can accomplish or you don't. If not, then change plans, change boat, or change your available cash... but... one way or the other always remember how very lucky we all are to live in and with this pleasure boating world. We truly are among the chosen few!

Happy Boating Daze! - Art -
Old 01-24-2014, 11:44 PM   #39
Guru

City: Little River SC
Vessel Name: JAZ
Vessel Model: Ta Chaio/CT35
Anybody that doesn't consider fuel burn in the equation of owning a boat is either filthy rich or they are fooling themselves. Most people get into the trawler lifestyle for the economy of it. If not, we would all by cruisers and get .8nmpg. What if diesel fuel went up to $15/gal? Would you not make an adjustment to your lifestyle. As stated earlier, there are dock fees, insurance, and upkeep that far outweigh the fuel cost, but there is a huge difference between 1nmpg and 4nmpg. As we know, it is the journey and not the destination. Therefore, the goal is to get to the destination as efficiently as possible, not as fast as possible. Because, then all we did was waste money on fuel and missed the sites and sounds along the way.
Old 01-24-2014, 11:57 PM   #40
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
Currently the boat is consuming about 1/2 liter per hour but getting 0 NMPG. This oddity is because I would rather be anchored with the diesel heat on than off. The big expense was the plane trip to Victoria. It is only money and each of us can do with it as best suits our ways and means.

BTW, the current weather in lower BC is quite pleasant, sure glad we don't keep our vessel on the East Coast. We don't even winterize!

Closed Thread