Old 04-12-2014, 08:52 AM   #1
Guru

City: Joe Wheeler State Park, Al
Vessel Name: Serenity
Vessel Model: Mainship 36 Dual Cabin -1986
Fuel Tanks - Portable

I bought 4 new fuel tanks recently. The typical Wally World 5 gal. plastic gas jugs so I can carry an emergency supply of about 16 gals.
I use gasoline. The new tanks do not have vents. Great idea, no fumes escape - initially. Looks like all of the fumes will escape at the same time when the tanks explode from the pressure inside. These things really bloat.
QUESTION: Is it safe to assume that there is some form of pressure relief if the internal pressure should get real high?

Old 04-12-2014, 09:18 AM   #2
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
The new fuel jugs are a very poor design mandated by the EPA. Wait until you try to pour fuel from them.

The older style had a vent with a screw cap so it was normally sealed and bulged when heated. The new design is no better in that respect but is much more difficult to use. I modified mine by installing vents and duplicating the old pour spout. A PITA to buy something brand new and have to "fix" it before it's useable.

rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 09:26 AM   #3
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony B View Post
I bought 4 new fuel tanks recently. The typical Wally World 5 gal. plastic gas jugs so I can carry an emergency supply of about 16 gals.
I use gasoline. The new tanks do not have vents. Great idea, no fumes escape - initially. Looks like all of the fumes will escape at the same time when the tanks explode from the pressure inside. These things really bloat.
QUESTION: Is it safe to assume that there is some form of pressure relief if the internal pressure should get real high?
I do not believe they have vents...but they may have a weak part of the cap assembly to prevent bursting...though I can't find that documentation easily.

They will balloon up to the point of scaring normal people...the ones we carry on the assistance towing boat get pretty scary the way they overpressurize but haven't had one burst yet. After a couple years in the sun...I already thinking of pushing the boss into some sort of rotation program where the sun dried ones go to the salvage trailer before they do leak.
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 09:26 AM   #4

City: Paynters Bay
Vessel Name: Therapi-Too
Vessel Model: 1987 Chris-Craft 381
Tony: You need vents. Tanks will expand and will, given gas build-up, explode. As well you need air to go it to pour out properly. Ron has the fix, but the better one is take back and buy proper tanks. Also look for an approval by some-one who has tested them. Bill.
Cyclone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 09:42 AM   #5
Guru

City: Port Townsend Washington
Vessel Name: " OTTER "
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander Europa 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclone View Post
Tony: You need vents. Tanks will expand and will, given gas build-up, explode. As well you need air to go it to pour out properly. Ron has the fix, but the better one is take back and buy proper tanks. Also look for an approval by some-one who has tested them. Bill.
they quit building "proper" suitable tanks a few years back.

HOLLYWOOD
hollywood8118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 02:27 PM   #6
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollywood8118 View Post
they quit building "proper" suitable tanks a few years back.

HOLLYWOOD
Yes they did. You may be able to find tanks for fuelling race cars, motorcycles, etc. but they are very expensive.

The currently available jugs (and the ones before them) don't need a vent to prevent bursting if you leave the air space that you're supposed to leave for expansion. You do need some sort of vent to let air in when removing fuel or the fuel will gurgle and spill.
Old 04-12-2014, 02:35 PM   #7
Guru

The tanks we use are filled to the manufactures fill line and still bulge uncomfortably so...they haven't burst yet...but I'm not sure how much UV degradation they can take or if an unnoticed scratch could cause a rupture.

I don't think many people are happy with them and I would hate for anyone to be the first to discover their flaws.
Old 04-12-2014, 06:50 PM   #8
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
metal 5 gallon gas can in eBay Motors | eBay

or Lowes

Shop Eagle 5-Gallon Metal Gas Can at Lowes.com

When needed, I purchase metal 5 gal gas cans.
Art is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 09:48 PM   #9
Guru

There are lots of reasons not to like metal fuel cans but if that's your choice, it's good that there is a choice.
Old 04-13-2014, 12:42 AM   #10
Guru

City: Biloxi Mississippi
Vessel Name: Patricia Louise II
Vessel Model: 1983 42' Present Sundeck
What scares me- is that the same regulations that "fixed" our old style fuel cans
Are also being used to "fix" our ozone depleting Diesel engines!

Lehman 135 Twins
Old 04-13-2014, 06:49 AM   #11
FF
Guru

The old style metal gas cans you saw strapped to a WWII jeep are still made.

Strong , heavy , but they do hold fuel with no venting.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 07:56 AM   #12
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
This is my favorite 5 gal tank type. Spring loaded pull latch has good rubber seal at short pour spout so it does not spill when jostled... yet lets expansion fumes release under hot circumstances. Funnel easily removes for filling at gas pump. MOF I usually leave the factory funnel off and use long neck transmission funnels cut shorter in appropriate lengths to suite various needs. These cans pour easily and are virtually spill less. In decades of using these type tanks Ive had only one go bad. Got a puncture in its slightly recessed bottom... I tossed that baby?

http://www.lowes.com/pd_145709-40109-U150FS_0__?productId=1136093&AID=11259695&PID=1319 015&SID=1397342943z413360z42073b0a26391z&cm_mmc=AF F_CJ-_-1319015-_-1189274-_-11259695
Art is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 09:12 AM   #13

City: Gulf Shores, AL
Vessel Name: Anticipation
Vessel Model: Mainship 390
Amazon carries Racing tans with a vent for $32. I have 3 and they work fine.
Amazon.com: VP Racing Fuels 3512 Red Motorsport Jug - 5 Gallon Capacity: Automotive
gotfw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 10:17 AM   #14
Guru

I actually like the new style containers. When I see that they have expanded I open them up a little and let the pressure out. What I like is it is very difficult or impossible to get them to spill. That's what I always had trouble with.
Mystic,Ct. /New Port Richey,Fl
jleonard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 11:42 AM   #15
Guru

City: Biloxi Mississippi
Vessel Name: Patricia Louise II
Vessel Model: 1983 42' Present Sundeck
jleonard- I have to respectfully disagree. For me, getting the new EPA compliant fuel can to spill is as simple as trying to fuel up my mower most times!! Not to mention wear and tear on my old shoulders as I patiently wait for it to fill.
I think this could have been as simple as stating on the can, where you can see it and not be distracted by all the other unread government mandated warnings:

*Leave cap off and vent unplugged, BAD because the gasoline will evaporate into our atmosphere.
*Put the cap on and plug the vent, GOOD.

An informed public will usually want to do the right thing😎

1983 Present 42 Sundeck
Lehman 135 Twins
Old 04-14-2014, 01:37 PM   #16
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jleonard View Post
I actually like the new style containers. When I see that they have expanded I open them up a little and let the pressure out. What I like is it is very difficult or impossible to get them to spill. That's what I always had trouble with.
To each his/her own, but I find it tiresome to hold a five gallon fuel jug in the air while holding the "trigger" open. What's really a shame is when government regulations force consumers to pay more for inferior products.
Old 04-14-2014, 02:05 PM   #17
Guru

Even with the old jugs I much prefer a decent siphon.......thousands of year old tech is available for everyone who want it...
Old 04-14-2014, 02:19 PM   #18
TF Site Team

City: JAX, FL
Vessel Name: Hobo
Vessel Model: Krogen 42-120
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
Even with the old jugs I much prefer a decent siphon.......thousands of year old tech is available for everyone who want it...
A jiggle siphon is my favorite. Still doesn't address the vent issue of the new tanks though.

http://www.amazon.com/Premium-Grade-...=cm_cr_pr_pb_t
Larry M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 02:23 PM   #19
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry M View Post
A jiggle siphon is my favorite. Still doesn't address the vent issue of the new tanks though.

Amazon.com: Premium-Grade Jiggler - Shaker Siphon Hose: Automotive

You don't need a vent if you're using a siphon. Air will get in around the hose. Just like siphoning from a bucket.
Old 04-14-2014, 02:41 PM   #20
TF Site Team

City: JAX, FL
Vessel Name: Hobo
Vessel Model: Krogen 42-120
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
You don't need a vent if you're using a siphon. Air will get in around the hose. Just like siphoning from a bucket.
Ron: Please, I didn't say you needed a vent for siphoning. I was agreeing with Scott about siphons and also commenting on post #1.

Larry M is online now   Reply With Quote