Old 10-10-2017, 08:23 AM   #41
Guru

City: st pete
Vessel Model: 430 Mainship
Quote:
Originally Posted by FF View Post
"What's GRP? "

Glass Reinforced Plastic , fiberglass , probably what your boat is made from.

"And are there many fuel fills on the deck? Also, why would you want to raise up davit mounts, etc.? If they're bedded right, no issue, if you re bed them. What am I missing? "

You are missing the reality that bedding compound fails in time , and has to be redone.

Some folks wait till the fitting leaks , which is fine on an all GRP built boat
but a horror for many TT where a leak rots the plywood core and major work is required.

By raising thru bolted fittings UP off the deck the amount of water needed to create a leak is raised.

That poor O ring on the fuel fill may never leak water into the tank , a huge plus.
FF,

Good points. Guess I've been lucky, never had any bedding fail that couldn't be fixed with a tube of caulk, mostly cosmetic. But for older boats, great idea. I'd be more worried about water getting in the fill port than anything, and did have to put in a defector once to prevent that.
Old 10-10-2017, 08:41 AM   #42
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art View Post

In addition to making sure that "O" ring is in good condition I keep jar of Vaseline always handy. Each time I open fuel fill hole I put liberal amount of Vaseline onto the "O" ring and all the top's threads; also wipe some on female thread area too. When screwed tight the Vaseline squeezes out all around the cap's seam. Paper towel wipes it clean.

That way the seal against water intrusion is perfect and the Vaseline, made of fossil fuel ingredients and compatible with gas or diesel, poses no threat to fuel in tank.
See above from a previous post of mine... I reiterate... simplest, least costly way to make sure water does not enter via fill hole into fuel tank.
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 10:09 AM   #43
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by WesK View Post
You can buy those rungs pre made, with a split so you don't have to remove the hose, just raise the deck fitting and slip them on. No need to try and make one yourself.
That would be "rings", not rungs. Too late to edit my post.
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 11:26 AM   #44
Guru

City: LI or Fla
Never filled in 25 years, never condensation issue, figured less weigh while in dry dock is better.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ski in NC View Post
I routinely keep my tanks at a low level. Never had any water issues. I don't fill for the sake of filling.
Marlinmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 01:08 PM   #45
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
I keep tanks about 1/2 full unless wer'e going on a long trip.

Less fuel gets cycled more often and stays fresher. And my boat is hundreds of lbs lighter.

When I had new tanks made I asked for smaller tanks but they just made them like the original.

Over the years I've only found traces of water in my fuel. Now and then I pump up some fuel from the bottom of the tank through a 1/8" copper tube but because I've found so little water I don't do it very often now.

Had water concerns w ultralight aircraft too. They almost all have plastic tanks and I've never seen water in them. And of course at several thousands of feet above the ground we took engine stoppage fairly seriously.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 01:28 PM   #46
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad Willy View Post

Less fuel gets cycled more often and stays fresher. And my boat is hundreds of lbs lighter.

Cycling fuel is not a problem we have.

We do keep the tanks full or nearly so but has nothing to do with condensation. Is simply we want to be ready to go and we fill by truck at home and get much better pricing.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 11:24 PM   #47
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
We always add fuel at .20 left in tank. If going far we fill up. If not we put in .50 full.
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 08:37 AM   #48
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
Cycling fuel is not a problem we have.

We do keep the tanks full or nearly so but has nothing to do with condensation. Is simply we want to be ready to go and we fill by truck at home and get much better pricing.
BandB,

What company do you use for home fueling? I've shopped and can't get anything better than the local marina, and with the marina I can pump out.
Old 10-11-2017, 08:38 AM   #49
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad Willy View Post
I keep tanks about 1/2 full unless wer'e going on a long trip.

When I had new tanks made I asked for smaller tanks but they just made them like the original.

Over the years I've only found traces of water in my fuel. Now and then I pump up some fuel from the bottom of the tank through a 1/8" copper tube but because I've found so little water I don't do it very often now.

Had water concerns w ultralight aircraft too. They almost all have plastic tanks and I've never seen water in them. And of course at several thousands of feet above the ground we took engine stoppage fairly seriously.
I hate when that happens.
Old 10-11-2017, 10:29 AM   #50
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seevee View Post
BandB,

What company do you use for home fueling? I've shopped and can't get anything better than the local marina, and with the marina I can pump out.
In our area, Anchor, Luk, Peterson, Admiral, and Shoreline are a few. Peterson even delivers by barge. We've used Anchor and Peterson. Use Anchor since they are Valvtech. Palm Beach delivers north of us. We use AnchorIn your area, I'm familiar with Mobil and River and then Dockside delivers to your dock.

It may well be that our marinas charge more than the one you're using and our trucks charge less. Another advantage of truck is speed at which it pumps. Disadvantage is you have to schedule it.

Quantities are a big factor in delivery pricing. For instance a typical structure today might be something like $2.65 if under 200 gallons, $2.45 from 200 to 1000, $2.40 from 1000 to 5000, $2.35 over 5000. Plus prices often vary on method of payment.
Old 10-11-2017, 11:57 AM   #51
Guru

City: Aventura FL
Vessel Name: Kinja
Vessel Model: American Tug 34 #116 2008
I know the USCG and your insurance company would frown on this but, it would be nice to have a small drain at the bottom of the tank, to check for water.
Old 10-11-2017, 11:58 AM   #52
Guru

Quote:
In our area, Anchor, Luk, Peterson, Admiral, and Shoreline are a few. Peterson even delivers by barge. We've used Anchor and Peterson. Use Anchor since they are Valvtech. Palm Beach delivers north of us. We use AnchorIn your area, I'm familiar with Mobil and River and then Dockside delivers to your dock.

It may well be that our marinas charge more than the one you're using and our trucks charge less. Another advantage of truck is speed at which it pumps. Disadvantage is you have to schedule it.

Quantities are a big factor in delivery pricing. For instance a typical structure today might be something like $2.65 if under 200 gallons, $2.45 from 200 to 1000, $2.40 from 1000 to 5000, $2.35 over 5000. Plus prices often vary on method of payment.
Wow, those prices aren't any bargains, but delivery could have some advantages. The lowest I'm getting for delivery is $2.65 and my marina, 1/2 mile away is $2.50. I could only put on perhaps 230 gallons at the most, but choose to fill for the mission and gonna haul it for some new transducers in the next few months, so I'll keep it light.

Also, I get nervous with those big gas trucks driving on my pavers, and then hauling the hose 150ft thru the yard. Not enough upside, yet.

But thx for the price comparison.
Old 10-11-2017, 12:02 PM   #53
Guru

Quote:
Also, I get nervous with those big gas trucks driving on my pavers, and then hauling the hose 150ft thru the yard. Not enough upside, yet.

You and the USCG get nervous too.
Old 10-11-2017, 12:16 PM   #54
Guru

City: Palm Coast, FL
Vessel Name: Coquina
Vessel Model: Lagoon 380
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDan1943 View Post
I know the USCG and your insurance company would frown on this but, it would be nice to have a small drain at the bottom of the tank, to check for water.
Still legal for diesel, very likely. There are standards for the valves, not sure this system passes on that regard.

diver dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 12:57 PM   #55
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by diver dave View Post
Still legal for diesel, very likely. There are standards for the valves, not sure this system passes on that regard.

It doesn't pass the rust test either.

I think many boat fuel tanks are flat on the bottom and sit on a flat surface. Mine do and to provide for a sump like in the photo they would have had to reduce the capacity by quite a bit.
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 01:29 PM   #56
Guru

Quote:
Wow, those prices aren't any bargains, but delivery could have some advantages. The lowest I'm getting for delivery is $2.65 and my marina, 1/2 mile away is $2.50. I could only put on perhaps 230 gallons at the most, but choose to fill for the mission and gonna haul it for some new transducers in the next few months, so I'll keep it light.

But there we have the difference. In our area here are some marina diesel prices.

Bahia Mar $3.20
Pier 66 $3.35
Sails $3.26
LHP $3.09
Harbourtowne $2.92

So, for 5000 gallons it can be $3000-5000 difference. It's also for the convenience factor and speed and known quality.

As to parking on pavers and dragging hose, we get filled most of the time at a marina with parking access immediately outside and within 50' of the boat. At home, we can get delivery by barge or we can park the fuel truck on the street and distance will be 120' and only across pavers, no grass, or take the truck on the drive to within 20' of the boat.

Obviously with the amount of cruising we do a very small percentage of our fuel purchasing is done at home. No more than 15-20%.
Old 10-11-2017, 05:50 PM   #57
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
I kinda like the catch bowl but it would leave some water on the bottom of the tank as boats tip this way and that. Especially if the tank was'nt perfectly flat.

What I like is a port and valve in the lowest corner of the tank achieved by installation/design or by accident. My tanks are low fwd slightly and inbd too so my tanks almost always have any water in the inbd fwd corner of the tank.
I rig up a small pump, fix a hose to it and a 1/8" copper tube that is easily bent to whatever shape I want. I bend it kinda like a base cleff and carefully insert it through a pipe plug hole in the top of the aft/inbd corner of the tank. I think I get every drop of water up and in the plastic (semi clear) one gallon water jug. I can then see even the smallest drops of water. I'm due to do that.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 09:23 PM   #58
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDan1943 View Post
You and the USCG get nervous too.
WAY out of the jurisdiction of the USCG......
Old 10-12-2017, 09:28 PM   #59
Guru

Quote:
But there we have the difference. In our area here are some marina diesel prices.

Bahia Mar $3.20
Pier 66 $3.35
Sails $3.26
LHP $3.09
Harbourtowne $2.92

So, for 5000 gallons it can be $3000-5000 difference. It's also for the convenience factor and speed and known quality.

As to parking on pavers and dragging hose, we get filled most of the time at a marina with parking access immediately outside and within 50' of the boat. At home, we can get delivery by barge or we can park the fuel truck on the street and distance will be 120' and only across pavers, no grass, or take the truck on the drive to within 20' of the boat.

Obviously with the amount of cruising we do a very small percentage of our fuel purchasing is done at home. No more than 15-20%.

Wow, those prices are brutal! And with that I'd be sure to patronize the delivery options.
Old 10-12-2017, 09:28 PM   #60
Guru

Quote:
WAY out of the jurisdiction of the USCG......
You just think so.
My brother's friend took a whiz over the side of his boat. The USCG sent him a ticket along with the photo.