Fuel tank disaster...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I agree. A boat with serviceable systems including tanks with manhole inspection ports and surface mount wiring and plumbing runs would be unsellable in today's market. Look at what is extolled as an offshore passagemaker in places like this forum and you'd be hard pressed to even locate the tanks let alone service them. Few buyers associate quality with serviceability. They are swayed by nice interiors and hidden systems with lots of bells and whistles.

It amazes me on some boats how close they come to good serviceability, but then just skip the last bit. I've got a whole bunch of deck hardware where the back side of it is totally inaccessible. A few carefully placed (and somewhat hidden) access hatches in parts of the cabin or the back sides of cabinets, etc. would have fixed that issue. But instead, they built not-easily-removable structures over those areas with no way through that doesn't involve cutting, etc.

Realistically though, the only things that would be a true nightmare on my boat are the fuel and water tanks (all aluminum). Getting the fuel tanks out of their space is not too hard. But I'm not sure there's an opening big enough to get them out of the boat without cutting the aft deck. And the water tank is partially under the fuel tanks, so getting that out requires pulling the fuel tanks first.

As far as the original problem, the big thing is that it seems like there's plenty of time available and no rush to get things done quickly. That's always helpful, as it means more time to pull things apart slowly, more time to find budget-friendly help for parts that may require it, etc.

One of these can help with access behind plywood. The blade in the middle can plunge cut through quickly.
63113_W3.jpg
https://shop.harborfreight.com/medi...8eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/6/3/63113_W3.jpg

The greatest power tool since the bread slicer.

The greatest power tool since the bread slicer.

I will certainly second that tool. I have many times now reached in where nothing else would do including me with a hacksaw blade. It may have taken a few tries to get the blade aimed properly to get the best use of it but it has saved me more than a few times now. At the very least it has saved a lot of time and bashed hands.

These tools have become available in many price levels once the patent was off the Fein units.

I never had a multi tool until a couple of years ago. But now I have 4 of them. I use them all of the time.

Back
Top Bottom