Old 12-31-2014, 07:11 AM   #1
Guru

Fuel Spill

I just got an e-mail from the admin staff at the storage facility where my boat is for the winter. Apparently due to the full fuel tanks and the boat being shrink wrapped, fuel is being vented overboard.

I left a message with the staff but they haven't contacted me back yet. They e-mailed me 3 pics, one is below.

They will have to clean it up and I will of course be responsible for the bill. I'm thinking of flying to the boat and doing - I don't know what. I guess I should de-fuel 10 gallons from each of the 3 tanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fuel spill.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	204.7 KB
ID:	35879  

timjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 07:35 AM   #2
Guru

Yes you need to remove some fuel from the tanks. That happened to a friend of mine a few years ago. He took 5 gal out of each tank and was fine until spring.

Mystic,Ct. /New Port Richey,Fl
jleonard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 08:28 AM   #3

City: Portsmouth, NH
Vessel Name: Misfit Toy
Vessel Model: 79' Mainship 34 MKI
Kitty litter

Soak it up, shovel the top surface into 5 gallon buckets or contractor bags, take to dump as contaminated waste. You will get it done for probably a fraction of what the yard will charge.
Skinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 09:32 AM   #4
TF Site Team

City: JAX, FL
Vessel Name: Hobo
Vessel Model: Krogen 42-120
Call your insurance company ASAP. Don't wait!
Larry M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 09:41 AM   #5

City: Gainesville, FL
I second what Larry said. Call your insurance company. If the boatyard has contacted the DEP or EPA, you may be liable for a big clean-up with remediation plans, monitoring wells, stripping towers, etc. Don't ask me how I know. Particularly ridiculous because a few gallons of diesel fuel does not migrate much (if at all) once it hits the ground - even with groundwater close to the surface as here in South Florida. A few buckets and a shovel SHOULD be all you need to remove the contaminated soil. However, the propeller-heads at some regulatory agencies are incapable of making ANYTHING simple - logic and common sense don't even enter into their thoughts! .
Old 12-31-2014, 11:25 AM   #6

Yeah, someone is going to pay big money for a certified clean up company to take care of it with kitty litter and a shovel...doh!

Good luck! No one should have to go through that.
Old 12-31-2014, 12:08 PM   #7
Guru

City: Wilmington, NC
Vessel Name: Louisa
Vessel Model: Custom Built 38
Yard might not freak out and make a big deal out of it. Most yards do not like a lot of attention from enviromental nazis.

Talk to them and see if they will do the kitty litter thing and suck down some fuel from the tanks. For pay, of course. They might be reasonable.
Ski in NC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 12:12 PM   #8
Guru

City: Vallejo, California
Vessel Name: Mahalo Moi
Vessel Model: 1986 Grand Banks 42 Classic
Florida has a 25 gallon reporting limit. In other words, one doesn't have to report a spill less than 25 gallons. Your spill is clearly less than 25 gallons.

The responsible party still has to clean the fuel up. However, the yard does not have to report it to the state.

Absorbent (kitty litter) and into a five gallon bucket with lid and label. Take it to the local county "hazmat" drop off. You're done. The yard probably handles a handful of this type of cleanup per year. If I owned the yard, I wouldn't charge since you're a good customer!
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑβΕ
Giggitoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 12:39 PM   #9

Hopefully, like Ski said, the yard will not (or does not have to) report it. We had a "spill" at our South Florida dealership that turned out to be roughly 5 gallons of diesel that had been dripping from a fitting under our diesel pump. Mitigation ended up costing over $100,000 and also cost us the sale of the property (buyer couldn't get a mortgage with an open EPA "problem"). I realize that it is not directly analogous to the OP's problem - but that is exactly how regulatory agencies turn a mole hill into a mountain!
Old 12-31-2014, 12:46 PM   #10
Guru

Once fuel gets on groundwater, it's a different story with usually a bad ending...
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑβΕ
Old 12-31-2014, 12:50 PM   #11
Guru

City: UMR MM283
Vessel Name: Northern Lights II
Vessel Model: Bayliner 3870
I have dock neighbor who's 410 SeaRay pukes out gas every spring when the weather starts to warm up. No one calls the epa or any other agency to report it, boats are in the slips year round. We do call the owner and he will come down and take it out on the river and run a few gallons out. I don't worry about topping off my fuel tanks before I winterize, I figure what little air exchange that happens thru the vent doesn't hold enough moisture to worry about, the water trap has no problem handling it.
Old 12-31-2014, 12:53 PM   #12

City: Under a boat, in a marina in the San Francisco Bay
There is no way a boatyard is going to let a non-employee handle fuel spill remediation.
Old 12-31-2014, 01:05 PM   #13
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Far as I can see - topping off tanks is just not needed. Especially with good water separation apparatus/means. Also, I firmly believe that Soltron additive greatly diminishes water and other non wanted items in fuel.

Maybe if you just showed up and cleaned things up... then spread fresh, clean gravel so that area looks really good... the lookie-lews would crawl back into their caves!

Best luck with this clean up.
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 01:39 PM   #14

I really like the fact that major oil suppliers world wide pump countless gallons of crude into the environment in every corner of the planet and suffer absolutely no penalty. Our own EPA turns it's cheek on the Clean Air and Clean Water acts so that large corporations can frack and drill natural gas. All of that absolutely destroys the planet. Simply search for flammable tap water and you will see the outcome.

DONT YOU DARE SPILL A DROP OF DIESEL FROM YOUR BOAT THOUGH...

I'm on the fence, part of me would make all of that disappear quickly with methods mentioned above. The other part wants to call the insurance and let them deal with it. We pay them so much money every year, let them deal.

Happy New Year
Old 12-31-2014, 01:49 PM   #15
Guru

City: Sarasota/Ft. Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giggitoni View Post
Florida has a 25 gallon reporting limit. In other words, one doesn't have to report a spill less than 25 gallons.

Site please.
Capt.Bill11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 02:04 PM   #16

I wasn't aware of that 25-gal limit either Capt. Bill, but here it is...

Office of Emergency Response (OER) | Florida DEP
Old 12-31-2014, 03:28 PM   #17
Guru

Fuel Spill

It's how I make my living. I won't charge you a consulting fee!!! Thanks for posting the reference, Kraftee.

There are some exceptions. We have to report a spill of any size if it hits water, navigable or not. However, not in the case of the OP because it looks to be on pavement. The worst that can happen there is a need to replace the pavement which diesel and gasoline can weaken (about 20% of the time).

Edit: I looked at the photo again. It appears to be gravel. If that's the case I would recommend replacing the gravel and taking the diesel-contaminated gravel to a disposal location. The yard can suggest a location. I'm sure it's not their first rodeo.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑβΕ
Old 12-31-2014, 04:59 PM   #18
Guru

City: Little River SC
Vessel Name: JAZ
Vessel Model: Ta Chaio/CT35
Can't imagine that little bit being a big deal, but what do I know. I spill more gas in my driveway filling up my push lawn mower.
windmill29130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 05:12 PM   #19
Guru

City: Sarasota/Ft. Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by kraftee View Post
I wasn't aware of that 25-gal limit either Capt. Bill, but here it is...

Office of Emergency Response (OER) | Florida DEP
Thanks
Capt.Bill11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 07:07 PM   #20
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giggitoni View Post
Once fuel gets on groundwater, it's a different story with usually a bad ending...
Ray, I don't doubt your statement, considering your profession.