Old 06-02-2010, 06:58 PM   #1
Guru

Fuel sender recommendations

I had some time to spend on the boat this week and wanted to locate the fuel sending units because they are not accurate below half full. Believe me folks these are not easy things to get at. After several hours trying to locate them and finally removing them I need to know what to replace them with. I want a unit that is relatively reliable. I'm not interested in spending the money to go digital, just a good old fashion float type that lasts a long time.
timjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 03:28 AM   #2
FF
Guru

RE: Fuel sender recommendations

The only ones that work long term are the vacum tube sets.

You pump on the dial face and it reads the tank depth of fuel, you then use a chart to know the gallons.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 04:58 AM   #3
Guru

With the difficulty in getting to the units that doesn't sound practical. The units that I removed lasted 12 years which I can accept, but there is no name or indentification on them.
Old 06-06-2010, 07:43 AM   #4

Fuel sender recommendations

<table width="100%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" class="forumline borderline"><tbody><tr><td width="200" valign="top" class="row1 borderline" style="text-align:left;">

</td><td valign="top" class="row1 borderline" style="text-align:left;"></td></tr></tbody></table><table width="100%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" class="forumline borderline"><tbody><tr><td width="200" valign="top" class="row1 borderline" style="text-align:left;">
</td><td valign="top" class="row1 borderline" style="text-align:left;"></td></tr></tbody></table>Tim you are so correct with the getting to the sending units being very difficult. When I arrive on a vessel to clean the tanks, I have*five options; #1, preferred is to go through the sending unit and hope to get the best coverage, if not then #2 maybe the deck fill. Sometimes it requires #3 to make new access openings in the tank, this is usually done with the intent of in the future the owner can relocate a sending unit to a more accessible area of the tank. The fourth option is to cut an access opening in the sole or*deck and get access to the sending unit, then install a access plate on the newly cut opening. And the final option is to walk away telling the owner this is going to be very costly.

El Sea,

Suckin Sludge & Havin a GAs"

-- Edited by El Sea on Sunday 6th of June 2010 08:45:22 AM
El Sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 01:36 PM   #5
Doc
Guru

See if yours look like the ones at www.centroidproducts.com

Mine has the non computerized version for fuel and water.
Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 07:46 PM   #6
Guru

Doc,
Mine are the OEM float type installed 12 years ago.
Your non computerized sender, does it use the OEM guage or did you have to purchase a guage from centroid?
Old 06-07-2010, 05:55 AM   #7
Doc
Guru

My guages are VDO. Standard on boat was VDO with Centroid adjustable senders. They are non moving rods that stick down into the tank and measure electrical resistance (I guess) between the rod and an attached metal strip that is on the rod.
Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 12:06 PM   #8
Guru

I'll check out centroid. Thanks