fuel prices, New York City

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

seattleboatguy

Vessel Name
Slow Bells
Vessel Make
Marine Trader 38
I'm slowly making may way from Norfolk to Lake Champlain, and starting to wonder where I should stop for diesel. I didn't see diesel prices on Active Captain, but I did find some on waterwayguide.com . It looks like Miss Chris Marina in Cape May and Lockwood Boat Works in South Amboy, NJ are both selling diesel for around $3/gal. But, the fuel prices further up the Hudson seem to be more expensive. So, is the conventional wisdom to top off the tanks in the New York City area before heading upriver?

In NJ where the commercial fish boats fuel will probably have the cleanest , low priced fuel.

NY fuel, based upon my one experience, is highly taxed.
Fuel up outside the state of NY or take on only what you need to get to a fuel dock outside of NY.

Liberty Landing is right in NY Harbor on the NJ side, a very popular diesel stop. There's a smaller municipal marina right there too, Liberty something-or-other, which may be even cheaper if you can get someone interested in staffing the pump. Never buy fuel in NY.

There are no fuel docks in NYC.
Anyway, fuel prices in NY and NJ are about the same since NJ increased their fuel taxes about a year ago. NJ used to be MUCH cheaper, now they are more expensive in many places.

North of the city, Haverstraw Marina has a nice, easy fuel dock. Panco just north of Haverstraw also has a decent fuel dock, usually slightly lower priced as that is all they do.

Liberty Landing is right in NY Harbor on the NJ side, a very popular diesel stop. There's a smaller municipal marina right there too, Liberty something-or-other, which may be even cheaper if you can get someone interested in staffing the pump. Never buy fuel in NY.

I always found AH to be much cheaper. But good catch on LL being closer to NY proper. Worth calling around.

We always used to stop at Great Kills on Staten Island coming and going, so I was thinking of AH's proximity to that.

Back
Top Bottom