Old 08-12-2015, 12:47 PM   #1
Guru

City: Cary, NC
Vessel Name: Skinny Dippin'
Vessel Model: Navigator 4200 Classic
Don't people navigate anymore?

Okay... I haven't started a thread in a long time, but thought I would ask this:

Don't people every pick up a chart and navigate anymore?

As a member of another couple of forums, one of the bigger ones has a rash of morons that ask, "How long does it take to get from (here) to (there)?" which is always followed by some brain surgeon asking, "How fast do you go?" WELL GODDAMMIT PICK UP A CHART AND A DIVIDER COMPASS... MEASURE THE DISTANCE AND FIGURE IT OUT YOU IDIOT!!! I mean really, Yo. Even Google Earth is great for this kinda stuff. Someone called it "The Chartplotter Generation".

Thank you... That will be all for now. Carry on.
(P.S.... Get off my lawn!)
Old 08-12-2015, 01:01 PM   #2
Scraping Paint

City: -
When we are going somewhere we always run on instruments. We have established courses we follow or if we're going someplace new we put a course into the plotters. Even in perfect visibility we follow the course and have the radar on. Not because we can't find our way around without them, but because it keeps us in practice so when we do encounter fog or poor visibility the transition to really running on instruments is completely seamless. We have never not gone somplace when we wanted to go there because of poor visibility because for us, running in poor visibility is no different than running in good visibility.

When we are planning a trip and want to know how far and how long, we get out the relevant paper charts or chartbook and measure it off. For distance we use a digital scale, one of those things you set the chart scale into and then roll along the course.

We have operated our boat in the PNW this way for the 17 years we've had it.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 02:03 PM   #3
TF Site Team

City: Seneca Lake NY
Vessel Name: Bacchus
Vessel Model: MS 34 HT Trawler
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom.B View Post
Okay

Don't people every pick up a chart and navigate anymore?
For many the answer is obviously NO!

I crewed on a (new to owner) boat delivery a few yrs back. Owner was obviously proud and conveyed his purported knowledge from his 20+ yrs of sailing.
Broker & I were discussing course options and entering waypoints. The broker mentioned a heading for a leg... I inquired whether he was talking True or Magnetic... which is where the owner jumped in and asked "what's the difference?"
When I suggested a USPS Piloting course he went on the explain how he relies on chart platters for all his navigation and they take care of it!?

Attitude was obvious - or maybe oblivious - and not worth pursuing any further
Bacchus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 02:29 PM   #4
Guru

City: Beaufort, NC USA
Vessel Name: Sylphide
Vessel Model: Kingston Aluminum Yacht 44' Custom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacchus View Post
...I inquired whether he was talking True or Magnetic... which is where the owner jumped in and asked "what's the difference?" ...

Variation. Variation is the difference.
Wayfarer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 12:48 PM   #5
Guru

City: UMR MM283
Vessel Name: Northern Lights II
Vessel Model: Bayliner 3870
My standard horizon chart plotter shows the distance and time to any waypoint I choose, the eta changes if my cruise speed changes. On the rivers I use paper charts to help pick anchorages, but with the Active Captain overlay on garmin charts on my iPad using paper charts is something I seldom do any more. I suspect that people who ask the question of how long are looking for a answer from someone with actual experience is a area they know nothing about.

Sent from my iPad using Trawler Forum
Old 08-13-2015, 01:14 PM   #6

City: Carrollton, Va
I good map user !
SaltyDawg86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 07:19 PM   #7
Guru

City: Meydenbauer Bay Yacht Club
Vessel Name: Lulu (Refugio sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayfarer View Post
Variation. Variation is the difference.
Dang, I thought it was virgins.
refugio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 07:28 PM   #8
Guru

City: kemah
Quote:
Originally Posted by refugio View Post
Dang, I thought it was virgins.
No, thats the difference between Americans, and Muslims. We get ours before we are dead.
what_barnacles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 10:20 PM   #9
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
On a long trip I take charts but don't use them. Have mostly for backup.

I almost never "plot courses" and rarely know my compass heading. I don't use way points either. I don't travel in a straight line. We have no AP.

I use the GPS on a fairly close setting for what's just ahead of the boat. I use this i- pad plugged into a DC automotive receptacle so I can surf ahead (via Navamatics) 5 miles or 55 miles. Alternative anchorages are almost constantly being looked at both near and far. And for logistics or just for fun.

We also use cruising guides.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 11:44 PM   #10
Guru

City: Jacksonville Beach, FL
I used to communicate with other vessels using Morse Code. Now I just use emoticons.
Blissboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 12:27 AM   #11
Al
Guru

City: ketchikan, Alaska
Vessel Name: 'SLO'~BELLE
Vessel Model: 1978 Marben-27' Flybridge Trawler(extended to 30 feet) Pilothouse Pocket Cruiser[
"I used to communicate with other vessels using Morse Code. Now I just use emoticons."

Al-Ketchikan
Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 03:47 AM   #12
Guru

City: Gulf Shores, Ala.
Vessel Name: Ulysses
Vessel Model: Romsdal 1963
"Vote" is the difference if you are going backwards.
ulysses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 05:14 AM   #13
FF
Guru

When the GPS is knocked out with an EMP , most folks will probably go to the first marina they see and rent a slip for 2- 3 years.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 06:57 AM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

City: Chicago, IL
Vessel Name: Bay Pelican
Vessel Model: Krogen 42
When I am in open water/no fixed landmark to aim at, I make a note of my compass heading in case the gps/computer goes down. Paper chart for the area is always on the helm as the chartplotter/computer doesn't give the me the overview picture.
Old 08-14-2015, 08:31 AM   #15

City: Portland, OR
Vessel Name: Cool Water
Vessel Model: C&L Puget Trawler
Fact - at times paper charts will show bottom features that are a serious hazard at sea i.e., pinnacles, that will be missed on a chart plotter. Keep the paper & compare it with the plotter.
TONTOROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 08:36 AM   #16
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by FF View Post
When the GPS is knocked out with an EMP , most folks will probably go to the first marina they see and rent a slip for 2- 3 years.
Are you serious?
Name:  W. Al.jpg
Views: 375
Size:  12.8 KB
mahal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 08:42 AM   #17
Guru

City: gulf coast
In shallow ICW and most of FL marks are moved frequently and conditions change a lot. Charts and GPS maps are often wrong so setting waypoints unless offshore is not a good idea.

On the west coast things don't change much.
bayview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 08:50 AM   #18
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48 (sold)
Capt. Vancouver made it with no charts, plotters or engines. Capt. Cook did ok too, until he was eaten by the Hawaiins. TB, marketing now rules navigation don't you think?
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 09:40 AM   #19
Scraping Paint

City: Fort Lauderdale
Vessel Model: CHB 48 Zodiac YL 4.2
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunchaser View Post
Capt. Vancouver made it with no charts, plotters or engines. Capt. Cook did ok too, until he was eaten by the Hawaiins. TB, marketing now rules navigation don't you think?
If you want to do it like Cook and Vancouver all you have to do is anchor the big boat offshore and launch a few guys in a rowboat with a leadline to find out where the rocks are. Make sure you have enough small boats and crew to tow the big one if you want to do it without an engine.

If Cook and Vancouver had a chartplotter and a GPS they probably would have been delighted to use them and not for one moment consider themselves less than competent seafarers. Where do you think most of the chart data in use today originated? It was guys rowing a little whaleboat taking soundings while triangulating their position.

I think technology now rules navigation but anyone is free to use a rowboat and a leadline if it makes them feel better. Marketing is how the best available technology is sold to those who don't want to carry lots of rowboats, surveyors, and cartographers.
RickB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 09:48 AM   #20
Guru

City: Meydenbauer Bay Yacht Club
Vessel Name: Lulu (Refugio sold)
Really, if someone asks that question - not even realizing that D=V*T - then is there any point in expecting intelligent behavior? Maybe it's best to not engage and let these potential Darwin awards fulfill their destiny.
refugio is offline   Reply With Quote