Frustrating Day On Sonas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
When I was younger I use to love to do maintenance and repairs myself, it took longer but I knew it was done right. Now I’m too old to do those things so I need to hire someone to do them. Problem is that after they finish I still have to clean up after them and correct minor problems. It may be easier to just charter a boat with crew when I need to get out on the water.

Because this was what the sides of TWO 8D batteries looked like yesterday...

I can't wait to find out what princely sum THOSE are going to cost me...

Attachments

• IMG_4873.jpg
    IMG_4873.jpg
    164.8 KB · Views: 69
When I was younger I use to love to do maintenance and repairs myself, it took longer but I knew it was done right. Now I’m too old to do those things so I need to hire someone to do them. Problem is that after they finish I still have to clean up after them and correct minor problems.
THIS.

But for 180 pound 8D batteries, pfft, I'll pay someone ELSE to manhandle those eff'ers out of the engine compartment. The trick will be finding what things got sat on or bumped out of position as the fought to get them out.

I'm still good with crawling around for stuff like wiring and plumbing. But when parts get heavy... I start reaching for the checkbook.

It may be easier to just charter a boat with crew when I need to get out on the water.
I'm not prepared to go that route any time in the foreseeable future. But it's always something to keep in mind...

Our washing machine which sits in the lazarette needed swapping out. If it was the one at home, no problem. But getting the old out and the new into the lazarette? No thank you, my back and fingers are worth more than the labor costs!

There are only three states to any item (particularly electrical, electronic, or mechanical) in a boat:

1) not working
2) About to go
3) just replaced

...... and the current state of each of these on any boat at any given time:D

1) not working - 2%
2) About to go - 97%
3) just replaced - 1%

THIS.

But for 180 pound 8D batteries, pfft, I'll pay someone ELSE to manhandle those eff'ers out of the engine compartment. The trick will be finding what things got sat on or bumped out of position as the fought to get them out.

I'm still good with crawling around for stuff like wiring and plumbing. But when parts get heavy... I start reaching for the checkbook.

I'm not prepared to go that route any time in the foreseeable future. But it's always something to keep in mind...
Sometimes you just have to resort to using one of the lines on your boat to get those heavy suckers to the ground. Thankfully these are only 4d`s.
20190914_112037.jpeg20190914_112135.jpeg

"We don't own our boats, Murphy does!"

Murphy was an optimist!

Two advantages to having twin engines that help defray the additional cost:

1. You hopefully have a running spare to help fault find minor issues. Swap the sender units over.

2. You can practice any maintenance action on the side of the engine that isn’t jammed hard up against the fuel tank before you have to carry it out upside down and inside out.

I feel your pain. Was on our boat (Columbus Marina, MS) last week - woke up in the night with no a/c - water pump that serves both 16k units was not pumping and a/c's had shut down. Could barely see the pump partly under the newly positioned generator :banghead: One of the few pumps I have not replaced in the 9 months we have owned the boat. Paid a handy young guy at the marina to contort himself and replace the new $300 pump. Still did not work - yep, should have checked for power. Turns out there is a tiny fuse in the A/c Controller box that had blown. I rationalized that at least I now had a spare a/c pump. Later that day while cleaning out some storage bins under the upper helm I found another used a/c pump with a note - you guessed it - same thing had happened to a PO:hide: So I guess I'm good for two lifetimes until this pump dies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom