Old 06-22-2013, 01:06 PM   #121
Guru

City: Everett Wa
Vessel Name: Eagle
Vessel Model: Roughwater 58 pilot house
Quote:
Originally Posted by GalaxyGirl View Post
Phil,
Can you explain further. Are you suggesting that the seller could get out of the pending contract or that I should be ready in case it falls apart?

Yes, so you know what you can do and jump on it. Financing a boat can be difficult and the reason many deals fall through. So talk to banks, insurance marina and have a cheap quick walk though with pictures survey like you are going tp buy it. Even if you do not at least you know people and good experience.

We had our banker and insurance broker call as reference. I was surprised tey took the dseal. They took the deal as w e did put up the house. and we had good references, and we met them.

Old 06-22-2013, 01:57 PM   #122

City: ---
Vessel Name: ---
Quote:
Originally Posted by GalaxyGirl View Post
A couple of months. I have actually had offers, but refused because without getting into too many details, they wanted more than I was willing to sell. But, my buyer will come.

I hear what you are saying about a easy to sell boat, but not many are, and, I have 5 kids.

What would you consider an easy to sell boat? (This is a thread discussion in itself)
GG, a canoo. This is a stupid joke, but sell your house and THEN buy your boat. Personally i think you and mom must reconsider this whole thing of buying a boat, i think this will end in a big big drama. Just my opinion.

Cees

Old 06-22-2013, 02:38 PM   #123
Guru

City: Calgary
Vessel Name: Blue Sky
Vessel Model: Nordic Tugs 42 Hull #001
Having been in the market, i.e., looking to purchase, over the last number of months, I can tell you that it is definitely a buyer's market, and selling any boat, especially a larger one, will take a long time. There are exceptions of course, but most boats I looked at last fall are still on the market.
Old 06-22-2013, 03:19 PM   #124

GG, the link below may just be the ticket for you. I would certainly consider them if I were buying a high priced vessel. I came across it in Passage Maker magazine and thought about you.

Thinking About Buying a Used Boat? | Zimmerman Marine
Old 06-22-2013, 04:54 PM   #125
Veteran Member

City: Smithers/Prince Rupert, BC
Vessel Name: Ai Tu Taki
Vessel Model: 1978 Tollycraft 30 Sedan
This too is an interesting read.

For Sale: Catamaran: Cautionary Tale for Wannabe Cruisers - Cruisers & Sailing Forums

Not saying don't do it, just be aware of the possibility. She has created an interesting blog as referenced in the post above.
Old 06-22-2013, 10:10 PM   #126

City: USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reiziger View Post
GG, a canoo. This is a stupid joke, but sell your house and THEN buy your boat. Personally i think you and mom must reconsider this whole thing of buying a boat, i think this will end in a big big drama. Just my opinion.

Cees
Everyone's entitled.
Old 06-22-2013, 10:11 PM   #127

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahal View Post
GG, the link below may just be the ticket for you. I would certainly consider them if I were buying a high priced vessel. I came across it in Passage Maker magazine and thought about you.

Thinking About Buying a Used Boat? | Zimmerman Marine
Thanks for the link.
Old 06-22-2013, 10:17 PM   #128

Quote:
Originally Posted by TedB_BC View Post

For Sale: Catamaran: Cautionary Tale for Wannabe Cruisers - Cruisers & Sailing Forums

Not saying don't do it, just be aware of the possibility. She has created an interesting blog as referenced in the post above.
Thanks for sharing the blog. She did an interesting angle. That's my biggest complaint about some cruising blogs. They make everything seem like rainbows and gumdrops all the time. I was planning to take the same angle. The good, bad, and ugly. It's always more interesting to read the truth, than a fairytale.

Her blog makes me want to hurry up and get out there.
Old 06-23-2013, 11:59 AM   #129

Quote:
Originally Posted by TedB_BC View Post

It is hard to understand why people that do not even know how to do boat repairs would go cruising. It was even mentioned in their blog that they are not interested in performing repairs. What these people need is a large yacht with with a crew. None the less, the blog could be very helpful to others.
Old 06-23-2013, 12:16 PM   #130
TF Site Team

City: League City, Tx
Vessel Model: Carver 356
And just because the brand of boat you are looking at is called "Bluewater", do not think for a minute at it is Bluewater capable. If it is the same manufacturer that I am thinking of, it is basically a houseboat made to look like a trawler. I am not trying to shoot down your dream. Just trying to warn you.
Old 06-23-2013, 12:32 PM   #131
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
The "Bluewater" brand of house boat made in the Northern Central US are not designed for any kind of heavy weather. They are built for the benign lakes and interior rivers of the US. They can be bought cheap though.
Old 06-23-2013, 12:41 PM   #132
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Bluewater Yachts are also fine for the ICW and even Bahamas cruising if you are careful getting there. Years ago I came close to buying one and looked at several very closely.
Old 06-23-2013, 12:43 PM   #133
Guru

City: somewhere
They look very plush but not sea worthy.
Old 06-23-2013, 12:48 PM   #134
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
if you are careful getting there. .
I doubt GG has the CG experiences you do to allow safe weather decisions to be made when cruising offshore. I'd not suggest she buy a light duty fair weather boat for all weather salt water trips. She is looking for a Captain and minder for her 5 kids though.
Old 06-23-2013, 12:53 PM   #135
Guru

She needs an older Hatteras that will get them back safe.
Old 06-23-2013, 12:56 PM   #136
Guru

While GG may not have my experience, the ICW and 50 something to the Bahamas is hardly "offshore cruising".

I may have missed it...but has she even discussed a Bluewater Yacht?

I agree that it wouldn't be the type of vessel to cruise the way she makes her future sound...for many that style boat has it's plusses.... but just isn't pseudo-salty enough for some here.
Old 06-23-2013, 12:58 PM   #137
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachbum29 View Post
She needs an older Hatteras that will get them back safe.
Even a Hatt in the wrong hands can be a disaster.
Old 06-23-2013, 01:00 PM   #138
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post

Even a Hat in the wrong hands can be a disaster.
At least she can bounce it off a few docks and run it aground, hopefully, without sinking it...
Old 06-23-2013, 01:43 PM   #139
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunchaser View Post
She is looking for a Captain and minder for her 5 kids though.
You're a funny man Tom

All joking aside she's previously stated(in another thread)she has a captain, or a friend that is one. If so, I don't understand why not just task said captain with finding a suitable boat or broker?

As to the rest I truly do wish her all the luck in her future endeavors and offer this. Buying a boat at any price point is one thing. Maintaining it is yet another.

The worn out acronym for BOAT is missing a T on the end for the size being discussed. If extensive cruising of subject older power boat truly is the end goal, perhaps an HT should be the last two letters.

As always, YMMV

C'est la vie

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
Old 06-23-2013, 06:44 PM   #140
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachbum29 View Post
At least she can bounce it off a few docks and run it aground, hopefully, without sinking it...
You can do all that with a Bluewater Yacht and not sink it.

People should know they aren't bad boats...just designed for a specific purpose...but like all boats you can draw outside the lines sometimes...especially if you are good enough.

Closed Thread