Friends somebody grab this deal!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JohnP

Guru
Vessel Name
V E N T U R E
Vessel Make
1996 36' Island Gypsy Classic
Hi, Been a while since I posted but this is an awesome deal I found on Ebay. 42' Grand Banks Trawler | eBay

I want this so bad but the Admiral says no--think her plan is to ease out of boating!

This boat is on yachtworld for 61,500.

It was converted to hybrid power in 2009, than used for four years as a demo boat.

In 2014 they wanted 225K for her. Then they pulled the hybrid stuff and maybe sold her

New tanks 2009 new bow thruster 2009

This is a steal at 25k I made an offer received a counter and got such bad vibes from the Admiral I passed on it.

Has two days left. Hope one of you guys has the b***s to buy her.

JohnP

Looks nice, but no engines. Who knows what else might be needed? A great project for someone.

Cheers, Bill

Someone has already posted on this boat previously...and there was great discussion about it with information about it.

It must not be such a great deal if it's been for sale for a while and now so desperate they're going to ebay and hoping to get someone who doesn't go and check in out in person, doesn't require a survey, and doesn't fully think through the logistics of having to pay for storage and/or find somewhere and a method of moving it to then get the work done. They were at $60k, now at a starting bid of $25k, was for sale apparently for $225k, claim with engines it would be worth $125k. Claim the feature list is too much to list so list nothing but show fuel capacity of 1-5 gallons. If it was such a great deal and worth so much with engines, then they'd drop the engines in and get that much more.

It must not be such a great deal if it's been for sale for a while and now so desperate they're going to ebay and hoping to get someone who doesn't go and check in out in person, doesn't require a survey, and doesn't fully think through the logistics of having to pay for storage and/or find somewhere and a method of moving it to then get the work done...

That's a bit harsh. I've bought and sold high-end bicycles, cars and boats on eBay without any issues. It's not perfect and there are shady characters that can pop up on either side of the transaction, but I view it as a legitimate sales channel. I bought my most recent boat - a Mainship 34 - through eBay. Met the owner and did a detailed examination of the boat before the auction ended and submitted a winning bid based on my comfort with the boat, owner, and terms of sale. Both the seller and I were happy with the transaction.

It doesn't work for everyone, but it works well for many.

That's a bit harsh. I've bought and sold high-end bicycles, cars and boats on eBay without any issues. It's not perfect and there are shady characters that can pop up on either side of the transaction, but I view it as a legitimate sales channel. I bought my most recent boat - a Mainship 34 - through eBay. Met the owner and did a detailed examination of the boat before the auction ended and submitted a winning bid based on my comfort with the boat, owner, and terms of sale. Both the seller and I were happy with the transaction.

It doesn't work for everyone, but it works well for many.

I'm by no means meaning to criticize all items and even boats sold on ebay. I am criticizing this one based on it's history, based on going from $62.5k to $25k, based on the lack of disclosure on ebay. My comments were directed at this boat specifically. I do feel that they're hoping for a buyer that doesn't do their due diligence. This isn't as bad, but it does bring back memories of the Stock Island derelict boats sold on ebay with no reserve, simply to pass the burden of doing something with them to the unsuspecting buyer.

You did the right thing on ebay. I suspect the buyer's ad also made some reference to that possibility and provided adequate time. This ad, to it's credit, also says "can be inspected." Your seller may have started on ebay. This seller was asking 150% more on yachtworld. So, I stick with my desperate comment.

Now I must say this boat for $25k is by no means as bad as the 98' boat at Derecktor right now where the owner is supposedly spending $25 million to get it lengthened 12' and entirely redone since the initial construction was lousy. This when he could buy a new boat for less.

I've bought and sold high-end bicycles, cars and boats on eBay without any issues. It's not perfect and there are shady characters that can pop up on either side of the transaction, but I view it as a legitimate sales channel.

We've bought quite a few collectibles on ebay ourselves. Great place to complete sets or buy discontinued items. In perhaps 60 purchases over the years, we've only had one that we returned and had no problem then. The seller even apologized when we sent the photo, said they had more than one and someone sent the wrong one, and even sent a replacement before they got the first one back.

But don't we all want to buy from desperate sellers? That seems to me to be the dream scenario - find a perfect boat being offered by a desperate seller. I sort of followed the earlier threads concerning this boat, and didn't see any evidence that it was a wreck. We have all seen cases where a seller gets tired of dealing with brokers and/or tire kickers... Sometimes they have to get worn down before they put it out for auction and prepare to accept what they think is a ridiculously low bid, and in that case it's good to be on the buying side. This looks to me like one of those cases where the seller is ready to take a significant loss on a failed experiment and move on.

I'm not disputing the correlation between desperate sellers and tired wrecked boats - it's definitely there - but there are outliers.

But don't we all want to buy from desperate sellers? That seems to me to be the dream scenario - find a perfect boat being offered by a desperate seller. .

Reason for desperation influences my answer to that. I also don't want desperate to the point of feeling I'm taking advantage of them.

25k is the selling price - Buy it Now. You could most likely get it for less. Repower with new twin diesel whatever's and you got a nice boat.
I saw and read quit a bit about this project when it was going on and the sponsors put a great deal into the whole boat not just the electric power system.
When the project was completed they tried to sell the boat intact. They sold off the power systems which left what you see.
It would be worth a trip, and a good hard look if I were buying a boat.

BB

The project will swallow several times more money than you think or calculate for the new diesels and gears. I did a re-power, I know! Its because of the "whilst we have good access lets do xyz as well" factor.

But if I were boatless then I would be inspecting for sure. I enjoy the process of refitting. You would end up with a boat that cost more than the comparable ones of that age, but you would have a better boat (newer, better systems) as well.

Depending what remains of the original engine provisions, if you put back in good condition engines similar to those removed, it might be good buying.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom