Old 05-03-2019, 07:12 AM   #1

City: englewood florida
Fridge a/c or a/c-d/c

I need to replace the fridge in a boat that is equipped with a gen set and inverter. An ac only fridge is much cheaper than a duel voltage one. I can’t think of a situation when I would need to run on dc seeing that I would always have ac available either via shore power, gen set, or batteries via the inverter. Most boats seem to have multi voltage refrigerators so what am I missing..I assume that most would not spend the xtra money without a reason. Thanks cliff
cbouch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 07:16 AM   #2
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr. cb. All depends on how much you plan on being away from shore power, how big your battery bank and inverter are and how long you can stand your generator running.
Old 05-03-2019, 07:31 AM   #3

I guess this is part of my confusion. The inverter is using the same set of batteries from which I would be sourcing the 12 volt power. Is using 12 volt directly more efficient than converting those same 12 volts to 120 ac via the inverter??
Old 05-03-2019, 07:43 AM   #4
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in the Great Lakes
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
Doubt you will find an off the shelf boat / RV refrigerator as efficient as some of the high efficiency apartment refrigerators. Here is the route I took:

My New Apartment Refrigerator

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 07:52 AM   #5
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48 (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbouch View Post
I guess this is part of my confusion. The inverter is using the same set of batteries from which I would be sourcing the 12 volt power. Is using 12 volt directly more efficient than converting those same 12 volts to 120 ac via the inverter??
Yes, direct 12 volt more efficient by about 20% dependent upon your inverter, refrigerator and method of calculation. I often shut my inverter off at night to reduce battery drain due to incipient loads from inverter, tv, sound equipment etc. The 12 volt decrease is about 6 - 8 amps. Not a lot but it all adds up when away from dock for awhile.

If you run your genset more than say two hours per day and have a decent sized house bank and charger, then a 110 volt unit only may well be the way to go. Go back to RTF's post #2, it all depends.
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 08:38 AM   #6

City: Cape Coral FL\Grand Island NY
Vessel Name: Missy
Vessel Model: 1997 Mainship 350
We replaced our marine fridge 15 years ago with an apartment size AC fridge. Been working fine ever since, runs off the inverter when we unplug from shore power.
ronlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 09:14 AM   #7
DDW
Guru

City: San Francisco
One problem with running an AC on the inverter is the inverter. A refer will cycle on and off, should be on less than half the time. However the inverter has to be on all the time, in case the refer starts. Many inverters (Magnums, Freedoms, etc.) are very inefficient at idle, burning several amps doing nothing at all. That can double your battery draw.
DDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 09:44 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
If you can find an AC only unit that will fit, I see nothing wrong with that route.
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 11:53 AM   #9
Technical Guru

City: Wilmington, NC
Vessel Name: Louisa
Vessel Model: Custom Built 38
I use a household AC fridge with good results. Much less expensive to buy. It runs on either shore, gennie or inverter. Most of the inverter time is with main engine on and gennie off, so efficiency there is of little concern. When anchored at night, it does put a hurting on my smallish house batt bank, but we are ok with that. Most nights I shut off the gennie to sleep unless super muggy or super cold.

Nice thing is if it poops, I can get a direct replacement from a home store, in stock.
Ski in NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 01:12 PM   #10

City: punta gorda, FL
Vessel Name: Blue Bayou
Vessel Model: Hatteras 43MY
Quote:
Originally Posted by O C Diver View Post
Doubt you will find an off the shelf boat / RV refrigerator as efficient as some of the high efficiency apartment refrigerators. Here is the route I took:

Ted
I also went with a Summit apartment fridge; they have a huge selection of sizes, bought online with no hassle and free delivery. It seems very efficient, barely draws the house bank down overnight. And important to us, the freezer really freezes. Friends had a 12v fridge/freezer, and I would say the freezer just barely qualified as a very cold fridge. Maybe that was just their particular model, but we don’t spend weeks on the hook, so I saw no reason to think about going that way.
Old 05-03-2019, 01:14 PM   #11
Guru

City: Pahrump, NV
Vessel Name: Pairadice
Vessel Model: Sold Selene 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by O C Diver View Post

Ted
We are in the process of doing the exact same thing. After 3 Norcold replacements in 4 years, that run almost non-stop, I’m done with the expensive “Marine” fridge.
We are putting in the same fridge that Ted used. And will run it off the inverter.
3 more cubic ft of refrigerator and some woodwork to make it fit, but in the long run I think we will use less power. And the summit fridge is about half the cost of another Norcold.
Crusty Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 03:32 PM   #12

Well, I think I know what I am going to do...ac only unit...thank you all for your input. Cliff
Old 05-03-2019, 03:39 PM   #13
Guru

City: Annapolis
Vessel Name: Ranger
Vessel Model: 58' Sedan Bridge
If it helps...

I prefer AC/DC models. I can run on DC straight from the battery bank (charged by alternator, underway if the genset isn't on), no inversion loss... or I can choose to run on AC from either shorepower or genset... so our inverter isn't even connected to the fridge breakers.

-Chris
Old 05-03-2019, 03:48 PM   #14

City: punta gorda, FL
Vessel Name: Blue Bayou
Vessel Model: Hatteras 43MY
Second thought, I sprung for $75 (if memory serves) for Summit’s optional door latches. They work OK, but I can’t get them adjusted to self-close when the door closes. If I had to do it again, I’d spend 5 bucks on some arrangement with eye hooks and 4 dabs of 5200 instead.
Old 05-04-2019, 08:55 AM   #15
FF
Guru

The better DC units that use an intelligent inverter to create pulsing DC will use loads less electric , a concern if the house batts are small.

75 AH per day rather than 100+ of other systems.

Some are even voltage sensing and will lower the internal box temperature when it senses charge power available.

The operators choice of on engine underway , noisemaker on, or power pole will help decide.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 12:15 PM   #16
Guru

City: Between Oregon and Alaska
Vessel Name: Charlie Harper
Vessel Model: Wheeler Shipyard 83'
I use a house size, double door reefer and 2 freezers. With the current inverter/battery setup, I rarely run a generator more than an hour a day. I time generator use with making water and laundry.
Cruising a dedicated alternator keeps the inverter banks topped off.
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 01:19 PM   #17
Guru

City: Seattle
So your inverter runs at about 88-90% efficiency, so yes, there is a 10% loss there. However if you take time to source an A+++ high efficiency domestic fridge, likely running with a digital inverter motor, then you'll find it much more efficient than marine units. Those Danfoss units do not compare. The only fridge more efficient is a Sunfrost, but you'll blow $2500 for one of those.
Mako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 02:40 PM   #18

City: New Rochelle, NY
Vessel Name: Jerry Land
Vessel Model: Grand Banks/Alaskan
We have a 19cuft domestic fridge. We shut down the genny at night, during shore excursions and meal periods. If you keep the freezer loaded with ice and other provisions it holds temperatures well over 10 hours without power as long as you keep doors shut. Works well for us.
jjorgenson3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 07:24 PM   #19
TF Site Team

City: Saltspring Island
Vessel Name: Retreat
Vessel Model: C&L 44
The most power hungy appliance on your boat will be your refrigerator, no matter whether it is AC, AC/DC or DC.

Since you are in Florida, you probably have Air Conditioning (another AC), so you also more likely than not, stay close to a source of AC, whether from your own generator or shore power. You should get a household style, energy efficient AC fridge.
You will likely be able to keep your energy usage down to about double what the DC fridge would use, but as you can't stay away from a source of AC power anyway, that won't matter.
If you were in Washington or BC, you would be far better off with DC only.
Old 05-04-2019, 08:39 PM   #20

City: North Port, FL
Vessel Name: Seven Tenths (sold)
Vessel Model: Mirage / Great Harbour 47
Cliff,
Your inverter/battery bank sizing will impact how the 120v refrigerator works for you. Our boat is a 120v boat, with some 12v and some 220v services. The inverter(2) and battery bank are online 100% of the time. Our refrigerator is a LG household freezer bottom, French door unit. At night we turn on the energy saving button and doing so, drops the draw to around 15 amps. It has two ice makers that can pull a little bit more.
I put two 12v muffin fans behind the refrigerator to push the heat from behind the unit.
If we anchor, we need to run the genset for 2-3 hours once a day. If we run the engines during the day, we do not need to run the genset as the alternators keep the batteries happy.
Good luck.
HenryD is offline   Reply With Quote