Fresh Water Trawlers, Where are they?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
We found ours in Lake Barkley (Ky) and brought her up the rivers to Chicago
The trip was very interesting and a little slow up the Mississippi. You might contact Jerry at Green Turtle Bay - he was a great broker and sees the boats going by each fall. When we were looking he showed us the one we were interested in and two others all freshwater.

Paul
USCG 50 ton Master
“OMA” KK Manatee

Searching for a used boat to do the Great Loop and was looking for possible freshwater trawlers in the Great Lakes but very slim pickings. Does anyone know how to find freshwater trawlers for sale or do they not use trawlers in the great lakes?

Both my boats owned to date, including a 1986 Monk 42 and my current 2006 Mainship 34T, were always fresh-water vessels, mainly in Georgian Bay, Ontario. And the MS has been stored indoors heated since she was new.

The available supply of good fresh-water boats in Ontario is extremely limited, not only because there simply weren't many to begin with here, but also because you Americans continue to snap them up as soon as they come onto the market. The reverse isn't true so much as many Canadians prefer to avoid paying the horrendous exchange rate, not to mention the probably double sales taxes and or import duties.

Did I have to pay a premium for my MS? Yes, but I feel it was worth it to buy a relatively trouble -free boat.

Good luck with your search.

I just sold my boat after completing the Loop, a 32 Grand Banks trawler that was in Grand Haven, MI. They are around....just keep looking.

I found mine in Albany. It spent it's life in the Hudson River and Lake Champlain. Spotless with low hours. The trip down the Hudson only reinforced my desire to do the Loop.

Fresh water trawlers.

I have a 1991 34 ft Marine Trader that has spent it's life in freshwater that is going on the market this spring. If you're interested let me know.

We have a fresh water trawler for sale. With the exception of the cruise from Lake Michigan to the Mississippi River (she's docked near Saint Charles Missouri), our information is that she has spent all her 32 years on the Great Lakes. She's ready for the rest of the Great Loop. See https://sabbaticalloop.blogspot.com/.

Our Mainship 34, 1979 is a fresh water one and she is not for sale. In the Montreal area we put the boat in the water in June, we move aboard then, and she is out by mid-Sept. So, only 4.5 months per year with 280 hrs per summer since we own her, 2016. Even with 41 years (don't forget, 4.5 months/year in fresh water), she is in good shape.
Jacques

Attachments

• 20191004_110147.jpg
    20191004_110147.jpg
    152.3 KB · Views: 25
Sorry I was to quick to reply, in her 41 years, she was in New-Jersey for the first 13 years the came to the Montreal and Quebec city areas since then. She when to Florida and back in 2005.

Searching for a used boat to do the Great Loop and was looking for possible freshwater trawlers in the Great Lakes but very slim pickings. Does anyone know how to find freshwater trawlers for sale or do they not use trawlers in the great lakes?
We have a Mainship 390 that is Freshwater we bought her right here in Kingston there were 3 when we were looking, what specifically is it you are looking for. Canadian Boats are a great deal right now with US Purchasers Let me know we have customers where boats are not listed but will be in the spring

Middle of the US

I just spent 6 months looking for a fresh water trawler, found lots of them in, Northern Texas, Lake Texoma, TN, MO, AL. I bought a 1990 48 Californian in TN. Having lived on the gulf coast and handling boats in saltwater you will find a world of difference in a fresh water boat. I pulled the heat exchanger and aftercooler apart on both engines before moving it south. I've never seen a cleaner insides. Rust is hard to find, these boats look like they are stuck in time compared to the same boat in Florida or Texas. Mine arrive's in Corpus Christi on Dec 25 !, I can't wait

The Brockerts

In my opinion freshwater boats if maintained require much less electrical work, have much less corrosion, less sun wear, but as previously stated rot can be worse. Not because it rains more or less but due to freeze cycles. If water gets where it is not suppose to be it will expand fracturing whatever contained it. I rebuilt the entire rear cabin of my fresh water trawler which was completely rotted.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom