Fresh Water pump question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hydro

Vessel Name
Kik N Birrd
Vessel Make
1983 50' Ocean Alexander MK1
Hello all,

I have a JABSCO V-Flo Variable Speed Pump 5.0 for our fresh water pump. This thing has been nothing but trouble. I have went thru 3 pumps in four years & all have went out shortly after the warranty ran out (12 month warranty). All three started to not fully shut off until the pump would heat up I assume & trip the reset. I would then have to cycle the breaker to reset it. It then just keeps getting worse until it needs replaced. Anyone have advise on a better pump? Thanks, Randy

Randy do you have an accumulator tank in the system? If so, take it out. They confuse variable speed pumps. Jabsco had problems with their early variable speed pumps but the current ones seem to be much better. Look at their Sensor Max VSD pumps. 31750 & 31755 Sensor Max VSD Pumps > Sensor Max VSD Pumps > Xylem Flow Control - Let's Solve Water.

Shurflo couldn't make their variable speed pump work reliably. They now produce a series of pumps that have a bypass that feeds excess water back to the intake. This allows you to eliminate the accumulator tank but the pump always runs at full speed. AQUA KING™ II Fresh Water Pumps

Thanks for the reply. I do not have an accumulator tank on the system. I have been using the Sensor Max VSD pump but they have only been lasting about 14-15 months each. I am going to put another one in & see how it goes. At aprox $330 each it seems they would last longer. Thanks again for your input. Randy

Fresh water pump sizing

I have a 2.8 GPM, 7.5a, 45 psi shurflo fresh water pump on my 34' mainship. I have two baths and it seems if something is on there is no water pressure.

I would like to replace it to increase the water pressure. I have looked at several but I'm not sure if I need to increase the PSI or GPM.

Also at what increase in pressure should I start worrying about blowing fixtures off.

I have a 2.8 GPM, 7.5a, 45 psi shurflo fresh water pump on my 34' mainship. I have two baths and it seems if something is on there is no water pressure.

I would like to replace it to increase the water pressure. I have looked at several but I'm not sure if I need to increase the PSI or GPM.

Also at what increase in pressure should I start worrying about blowing fixtures off.

I would increase both. You can get a 60 psi pump in a higher rating.

We went to a Jabsco 6 GPM 60 PSI pump and it solved the problem you are describing.

Reactions: JEP
I recently removed the accumulator tank and old pump and installed Italian made "Marco" (I think) variable speed fw pump(s). couldn't be happier. some whirring noise when on, but not too annoying. not inexpensive at about 700 ea, but seems to be top quality. I have full redundancy with two pumps...

JEP, that pump should be adequate for a single fixture but if you use two fixtures at once it will seem weak. Before you change the pump, make sure the vent on the tank is clear and that the supply line to the pump is clear.

If you decide to replace the pump, take a look at the Shurflo Aqua King II, 5 gpm, 55 psi, about $200. If you have an accumulator tank, you can remove it and free up the space. AQUA KINGâ„¢ II Supreme Fresh Water Pump 12 VDC 5.0 GPM | AQUA KINGâ„¢ II Fresh Water Pumps

Jabsco = JUNK in many items.

The easy solution is a Sureflow pressure wash down pump.

Good volume, large motor and no electric used to pump water in a circle.

A BIG accumulator will reduce of on-off cycling a great deal, 6 gal is nice, and not too large.

Remember to drain it to winterize , and set the pressure to your installed pump pressure.

Jabsco = JUNK in many items.

The easy solution is a Sureflow pressure wash down pump.

Good volume, large motor and no electric used to pump water in a circle.

A BIG accumulator will reduce of on-off cycling a great deal, 6 gal is nice, and not too large.

Remember to drain it to winterize , and set the pressure to your installed pump pressure.

FF,

Is there a particular wash down pump you were thinking of? My Galley Maid 10 GPH has died and its time to replace it. The water system already has an accumulator in it. The original system was set to shut off a 33 PSI and on at 25, can I still use the existing pressure cutout switch to manage the new pump, it is external to the pump?

Thanks...

Maybe I got lucky, but I have 8 years of flawless operation from a tandem set of Flojet VSD pumps. Combined, they put out around 7 gpm and perform as advertised.

Hi I just installed a Headhunter Mach 5 which is a 240 volt pump and in line I have an older shurflo 24 volt as a redundant system. I am extremely happy with the Head hunter.
they do make 24 and 12 volt models which are called excallibur from memory.
I would recommend these pumps

Cheers Chris D Liberty Australia

Hi I just installed a Headhunter Mach 5 which is a 240 volt pump and in line I have an older shurflo 24 volt as a redundant system. I am extremely happy with the Head hunter.
they do make 24 and 12 volt models which are called excallibur from memory.
I would recommend these pumps

FYI, You can get a pump from Grundfos that does everything the Mach V does for about half or less the price of the Mach V.

Thanks Capt Bill

yeh I know....... found out after the purchase, but hey....... I am really satisfied with what I have.

FF,

Is there a particular wash down pump you were thinking of? My Galley Maid 10 GPH has died and its time to replace it. The water system already has an accumulator in it. The original system was set to shut off a 33 PSI and on at 25, can I still use the existing pressure cutout switch to manage the new pump, it is external to the pump?

Thanks...

I installed a Shurflo 24v Extreme Blaster as a raw water washdown pump, has worked great with many, many hours of use over seven years given our proclivity to anchor in mud and bury the anchor and chain rode deep.

You can get your GalleyMaid rebuilt by Raz Marine in Fort Lauderdale and get another 20 or 30 years of service out of it. I did and was very happy with the results. You can also adjust your cutout to 42 on that pump with no issues. There were a few times when I also used it as a freshwater washdown and it did a good job.

All the Jabsco pumps I've ever interacted with were good quality, ironically Shurflo has a dicier reputation, due to issues with some of their auto-sensing variable speed pumps.

Last edited:
Thanks George,

I just got off the phone with RAZ ordering a rebuilt pump. When I looked at the cost of new Jabsco/Shurflo etc. pumps as compared to rebuilding the Galley Maid I felt the cheapest "long term" (as in 30 years) solution would be to rebuild.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom