Free Pumpouts Ending

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
And when the West Point Treatment Plant flooded OUT in Seattle a couple of years ago they dumped a Billion Gallons of untreated waste into Central Puget Sound NDZ in just the FIRST WEEK. While they did restore some functionality, they were still dumping tens of million of gallons a week for several months.

A billion gallons in a week is five million boats pumping their twenty gallon tanks overboard ten times a week. I know some boaters that are full of it but no one is that full of it. So, if My tank is getting full and there’s not a free pump out handy, I just call my boat West Point for a few minutes.

Ah, but King County is “immune” from laws they don’t follow or agree with, politically. There is more human waste entering the Sound from the homeless drug addicts than any boaters could produce. I’ve literally seen 5 gallon buckets FULL of it at illegal camps and derelict, drug RVs are rampant. You think they go dump at approved sites? Hell, the dopers will drop trau and drop a deuce on a sidewalk in downtown without consequences. Like I said, like a third world country.

San Fran is the same. Any city that has a website to report the location of human waste is out of control.

But yeah, boaters are a problem.

We boat out of Everett a lot. It’s the one of the largest & busiest small boat ramps/marina ON THE WEST COAST (13 lanes, 350 parking spots for trucks/trailers). Most of the time their pump outs are broken; we have gone from pump out to pump out looking for a functioning one. A time waster and a PIA. I’ve complained to the marina mgmt and gotten nowhere.

Last edited:
King County isn't completely immune from the laws. They did get fined for illegal discharges. But guess who ends up paying the fines? That's right, the people who live in King County.

There is no such thing as a free pumpout. It's only a matter of who pays. It may be "free to you." In this case, it's whether the citizens of Washington pay or the boaters pay.

Now, while it's nice to not have to pay, I don't see much argument any of us have that we shouldn't have to pay.

...because you don’t have to pay to use the toilet at most malls, restaurants, government buildings, etc. etc. The whole point of the issue is you need to make pumpouts barrier free, and freely available for use.

I remember using the pumpout at the customs dock at the entrance to the Point Roberts Marina. That was free for use and complete with instructions for the technically challenged of us.

Jim

There is a still-operating old--style Dairy Queen on Route 10 in Plainville, CT that my folks took us to in the early 1950's.
I'm fairly young and I remember that. Where I grew up in CT, there's still one of the old style Diary Queens on the original 1940s-ish franchise contract. They only started taking credit cards within the last few years, still don't serve food, have outdoor seating only, close for a few months in the winter, etc. The first time I saw a modern Dairy Queen I was a little confused.

...because you don’t have to pay to use the toilet at most malls, restaurants, government buildings, etc. etc. The whole point of the issue is you need to make pumpouts barrier free, and freely available for use.

I remember using the pumpout at the customs dock at the entrance to the Point Roberts Marina. That was free for use and complete with instructions for the technically challenged of us.

Jim

Your analogy doesn't work. No one is asking you to pay to use the toilet on your boat. You need to pay to empty it, just like the malls and restaurants and government buildings pay for sewage. Users don't pay but sewage costs.

.... The first time I saw a modern Dairy Queen I was a little confused.
I was confused the first time I saw a Drag Queen.
Recently I discovered that for all the proud boasts of Sydney Water, in Sydney we do some filtering but essentially the stuff gets pumped out some miles offshore. Except when it rains heavily, the system gets overpowered with rainwater, and Sydney Harbour gets some virtually raw sewage :eek:.

I paid for my septic system and I pay for it's maintenance. When I lived hooked up to municipal sewage system I paid a monthly fee. I don't expect to get free pump outs. I do expect that if I'm required to use pump outs they be easy to access and in good working order.

All this doesn't affect us anyway. We dump before we enter Juan De Fuca Straight, then wait until we enter in to Canada. Sort of ceremonial for us. Dumping our crap to float south with the San Jauns in sight. Just say'n

All this doesn't affect us anyway. We dump before we enter Juan De Fuca Straight, then wait until we enter in to Canada. Sort of ceremonial for us. Dumping our crap to float south with the San Jauns in sight. Just say'n

Ditto. I’m usually in Canada on day two so not a problem other than the rare South Sound cruises. And then, you do what you gotta do.

Greetings,
Mr. 36. Sorry. Unacceptable to me. I'll pay whatever $$ before I pollute my waterway in spite of what anyone "has" to do. There is ALWAYS an option. You are part of the problem.

And Where do you boat Enigma?

What is hilarious about this is Seattle and the Puget Sound region is rife with homeless who literally defecate/urinate anywhere they want and untold doper RVs that dump out their tanks into storm drains, which empty into The Sound. Yet boaters get screwed. How typical of the feckless “leaders” in this state.

Really!
I have an RV. Yes, I have watched cousin Eddie on National Lampoon Christmas Vacation, where he empties his tank into the storm drain and provides the final scene explosion putting the sleigh and Santa up into the sky. I know that is not the usual RV scenario. Without evidence, I don't believe that is a typical Seattle RVer. Like boaters, RVers are mostly trying to do it correctly.

And when the West Point Treatment Plant flooded OUT in Seattle a couple of years ago they dumped a Billion Gallons of untreated waste into Central Puget Sound NDZ in just the FIRST WEEK. While they did restore some functionality, they were still dumping tens of million of gallons a week for several months.

A billion gallons in a week is five million boats pumping their twenty gallon tanks overboard ten times a week. I know some boaters that are full of it but no one is that full of it. So, if My tank is getting full and there’s not a free pump out handy, I just call my boat West Point for a few minutes.

When I was 6 years old I got caught stealing candy with my friends. My father made sure that I learned quickly and completely that just because someone else does it does NOT make it acceptable for me to do it. Later he got to reinforce the message to include the notion that just because you can get away with it, doesn't make it right.

Pretty simple lessons. I wonder how so many people missed them?

Simple lessons? So, if a law were passed, an unconstitutional law in your opinion, that abridged some freedom, for example, freedom of speech, would you sheepishly follow that law? An extreme example, not analogous? Not really.

When a bunch of ill-informed politicians pass an ineffectual, ridiculous law I will always make a risk/reward decision as to whether to comply. I will never blindly follow along and I will not apologize or feel guilty or immoral one bit. For example, the State of Georgia is trying to impose anchoring restrictions in Federally-regulated waterways. If implemented, which is now in some doubt, I will anchor any safe place I choose and accept the risk of being cited. The fact is that most of the Georgia anchorages are quite remote and cannot be effectively monitored anyway. The law is contrary to Federal law and, as so, is illegal akin to the unconstitutional example I set out earlier.

As to boaters pumping overboard, boaters are no more than a grain of sand on Daytona Beach. It just doesn't matter. Still, I use pump-outs because where we boat it is easy to do so. Question for you? Manatees consume about 100 pounds, yes, 100 pounds of vegetation every day. How much poop do you think a heard of 1,000 manatees dumps into the water every day? Doesn't matter, does it?

When I was 6 years old I got caught stealing candy with my friends. My father made sure that I learned quickly and completely that just because someone else does it does NOT make it acceptable for me to do it. Later he got to reinforce the message to include the notion that just because you can get away with it, doesn't make it right.

Pretty simple lessons. I wonder how so many people missed them?

Oh you don't like the law? Oh sorry. Then that's completely different. My mistake.

Oh you don't like the law? Oh sorry. Then that's completely different. My mistake.

I'm merely following what certain cities, counties and/or states do when it comes to "sanctuary" status...

Last edited:
Sir, with respect, it goes far beyond not "liking" the law. Blind obeisance is not a part of my thinking. Ever hear of the Boston Tea Party? The MSP potion of your screen name - just a guess, Michigan State Police?

It is a strange situation concerning the pump out service grants. We make use of it when needed. A portion of our moorage fees are also donated to Terry and Sons. I would gladly pay a per use fee for the service.

The bigger issue is the contradiction between the states fervent stand on cleaning up the environment and it's lack of support for efforts that help but don't create favorable press. Targeting boaters is easy and good press. Going after system failures that are municipal sewer or private septic is not interesting for them. It makes no sense to loose infrastructure that is relatively inexpensive but highly effective.

I can sure tell who lives in Seattle and who is absolutely clues about Seattle. Yes, we have a massive problem with homeless feces getting into the Puget Sound. RV dumping is part of the problem. We have thousands of homeless RV’s permanently parked all through our industrial areas. If you park downtown Seattle and don’t look for feces and needles before getting out of your vehicle, you will be sorry.

Now how do you react to a law that says you can’t dump treated sewage and yet the law maker turns around and dumps untreated sewage at the same time does nothing about the homeless sewage. Pretty unfair, pretty unjust, and pretty harsh to judge those who do what the law maker does.

It’s not a good situation. Shooting the messenger won’t help.

Hope it floats south! What makes you feel it’s ok to dump overboard in Canada within sight of the San Juan’s?

Since when did our standard of behavior become "Just don't be the worst offender" ?? Wrong is wrong. Pointing to another instance of a greater wrong does not absolve you of your behavior.

Should we have let Jeffrey Dahmer go free because he only killed 16 people if he pointed out that Ted Bundy killed 35 ????

Hope it floats south! What makes you feel it’s ok to dump overboard in Canada within sight of the San Juan’s?

Until 6 months ago Victoria still dumped raw sewage into the Salish Sea. I think you are the kettle calling the pot black.

That you are arguing about this points up the real issue. There are now too many people on earth for us to properly dispose of our rubbish and our personal residues output.

Greetings,
Mr. BK. There are now too many people on earth who don't give a shyte. There. Fixed it for you.

Greetings,
Mr. BK. There are now too many people on earth who don't give a shyte. There. Fixed it for you.
Actually, they do give a "shyte",frequently,and that`s the problem. Just too much "shyte". As the Irish might say it.

Until 6 months ago Victoria still dumped raw sewage into the Salish Sea. I think you are the kettle calling the pot black.

And that makes it OK? As has been pointed out just because others do it doesn’t make it right. I agree Victoria’s system should have been updated years ago. It finally is now thank goodness.
Not calling anyone’s pot black. However two posters suggesting they wait to dump until they cross the border is not acceptable and may give the wrong impression to those who don’t know better. Find a pump out. We all share the same ocean.

Greetings,
Mr. BK. Nice attempt at avoidance but you know exactly what I'm getting at. The same people who stop using pumpouts because they aren't free anymore have the same mindset people who think nothing of throwing trash out the window in my view. They just can't be bothered to make the effort and/or spend the $$.

During the summer we boat on a 23' Penn Yan with a 5 gallon holding tank in an area with NO dumping allowed and some marinas with pump out facilities. 2019 season we were on the water for some 45 days+ with our two grandsons (for 1 week) and our 65lb. dog. Got pumped out 3X to the tune of $20/pumpout. The rule was "Go on shore and pick up after the dog". A bit of an inconvenience but all part of the routine. I'm not "holier than thou" but I do make the effort.

I'm a bit disoriented trying to read this thread. The thing discontinued is a payment to a firm which brings a pump out barge to your boat in its slip. [¿]

This doesn't effect the numerous public pumpouts in nearly every port on the U.S. end of the Salish Sea. Or does it?

Bill, in far-off Oregon

I'm a bit disoriented trying to read this thread. The thing discontinued is a payment to a firm which brings a pump out barge to your boat in its slip. [¿]

This doesn't effect the numerous public pumpouts in nearly every port on the U.S. end of the Salish Sea. Or does it?

Bill, in far-off Oregon

That's correct. It was a grant through Washington State that provided funding for a pumpout service to go to boats in marinas, yacht clubs, and even anchorages. The grant did not completely cover the costs. The rest was made up by donations by marinas, yacht clubs, and individuals. Has nothing to do with public pumpouts.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom