Old 01-17-2020, 07:03 PM   #21
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Can't find attendants here unless they need to collect money for the business. (You do the service.)
Old 01-17-2020, 07:08 PM   #22
Guru

City: Warwick RI
Vessel Name: Lollygag
Vessel Model: 34 Mainship Pilot Hardtop
I have done that too. Typically if I fill up I pump out at the same time, also if we see no one at the fuel dock I zip in and pump out when I am either heading out or in. I understand that for those live aboards this might not be as practicle.
Lollygag1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 07:54 PM   #23
Guru

City: Inside Passage Summer/Columbia River Winter
Vessel Name: Alaskan Sea-Duction
Vessel Model: 1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
In Reid Harbor, on Steward Island, San Jaun Islands there use to be a free pumpout. The only draw back was that it was a "manual" pump.....
Alaskan Sea-Duction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 02:10 AM   #24
Veteran Member

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: Dream Catcher
Vessel Model: Monk 36
And when the West Point Treatment Plant flooded OUT in Seattle a couple of years ago they dumped a Billion Gallons of untreated waste into Central Puget Sound NDZ in just the FIRST WEEK. While they did restore some functionality, they were still dumping tens of million of gallons a week for several months.

A billion gallons in a week is five million boats pumping their twenty gallon tanks overboard ten times a week. I know some boaters that are full of it but no one is that full of it. So, if My tank is getting full and there’s not a free pump out handy, I just call my boat West Point for a few minutes.
DC36Monk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 05:22 AM   #25
Guru

City: Warwick RI
Vessel Name: Lollygag
Vessel Model: 34 Mainship Pilot Hardtop
Guess it beats using a siphon.
Lollygag1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 06:09 AM   #26
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr. 36. Sorry. Unacceptable to me. I'll pay whatever $$ before I pollute my waterway in spite of what anyone "has" to do. There is ALWAYS an option. You are part of the problem.
Old 01-18-2020, 08:36 AM   #27
Guru

City: Aventura FL
Vessel Name: Kinja
Vessel Model: American Tug 34 #116 2008
Along the coast of Michigan, according to my boating brother, free pump outs are the rule. Michigan seems to see a real value of recreational boating. Fueling, pump out and marinas seem to go hand in hand in Michigan. Small grocery stores have been established and although, Michigan has seasonal boating, the stores seem to be thriving. I dont know it the grocery stores and boat supply stores close on the off season.
If you are old enough, you will remember when Dairy Queen was seasonal too.
Old 01-18-2020, 08:58 AM   #28
Guru

City: Rochester, NY
Vessel Name: Hour Glass
Vessel Model: Chris Craft 381 Catalina
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDan1943 View Post
If you are old enough, you will remember when Dairy Queen was seasonal too.

I'm fairly young and I remember that. Where I grew up in CT, there's still one of the old style Diary Queens on the original 1940s-ish franchise contract. They only started taking credit cards within the last few years, still don't serve food, have outdoor seating only, close for a few months in the winter, etc. The first time I saw a modern Dairy Queen I was a little confused.
rslifkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 09:53 AM   #29
Guru

City: Puget Sound
For those of you not familiar with Puget Sound waters, the most predominately used boat is between 16 and say 24 feet... these are sheltered waters so this size boat works great for fishing, crabbing and just having fun.... On any given day during fishing season or summer there is probably a ratio of 20 boats of this size to one that actually has a marine head... Every one of those smaller boats will have a "pee can" and I will bet they don't get emptied on shore... Maybe the simplest solution is to use the "pee can" and not the holding tank.
Old 01-18-2020, 12:49 PM   #30
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
There is no such thing as a free pumpout. It's only a matter of who pays. It may be "free to you." In this case, it's whether the citizens of Washington pay or the boaters pay.

Now, while it's nice to not have to pay, I don't see much argument any of us have that we shouldn't have to pay.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 01:20 PM   #31
Scraping Paint

City: Lake Stevens, WA via Honolulu
Vessel Name: 'Au Kai (Ocean Traveler)
Vessel Model: C-Dory 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC36Monk View Post
And when the West Point Treatment Plant flooded OUT in Seattle a couple of years ago they dumped a Billion Gallons of untreated waste into Central Puget Sound NDZ in just the FIRST WEEK. While they did restore some functionality, they were still dumping tens of million of gallons a week for several months.

A billion gallons in a week is five million boats pumping their twenty gallon tanks overboard ten times a week. I know some boaters that are full of it but no one is that full of it. So, if My tank is getting full and there’s not a free pump out handy, I just call my boat West Point for a few minutes.
Ah, but King County is “immune” from laws they don’t follow or agree with, politically. There is more human waste entering the Sound from the homeless drug addicts than any boaters could produce. I’ve literally seen 5 gallon buckets FULL of it at illegal camps and derelict, drug RVs are rampant. You think they go dump at approved sites? Hell, the dopers will drop trau and drop a deuce on a sidewalk in downtown without consequences. Like I said, like a third world country.

San Fran is the same. Any city that has a website to report the location of human waste is out of control.

But yeah, boaters are a problem.

We boat out of Everett a lot. It’s the one of the largest & busiest small boat ramps/marina ON THE WEST COAST (13 lanes, 350 parking spots for trucks/trailers). Most of the time their pump outs are broken; we have gone from pump out to pump out looking for a functioning one. A time waster and a PIA. I’ve complained to the marina mgmt and gotten nowhere.
localboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 02:17 PM   #32
Guru

City: Duvall, Wa. USA
Vessel Name: Beach Music II
Vessel Model: 2003 Mainship 430 Trawler
King County isn't completely immune from the laws. They did get fined for illegal discharges. But guess who ends up paying the fines? That's right, the people who live in King County.
porman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 05:24 PM   #33
Guru

City: North Vancouver
Vessel Name: Phoenix Hunter
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 42 (1985)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
There is no such thing as a free pumpout. It's only a matter of who pays. It may be "free to you." In this case, it's whether the citizens of Washington pay or the boaters pay.

Now, while it's nice to not have to pay, I don't see much argument any of us have that we shouldn't have to pay.

...because you don’t have to pay to use the toilet at most malls, restaurants, government buildings, etc. etc. The whole point of the issue is you need to make pumpouts barrier free, and freely available for use.

I remember using the pumpout at the customs dock at the entrance to the Point Roberts Marina. That was free for use and complete with instructions for the technically challenged of us.

Jim
JDCAVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 06:21 PM   #34
Guru

City: Edgewater, MD
Vessel Name: Catalina Jack
Vessel Model: Defever 44
There is a still-operating old--style Dairy Queen on Route 10 in Plainville, CT that my folks took us to in the early 1950's.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rslifkin View Post
I'm fairly young and I remember that. Where I grew up in CT, there's still one of the old style Diary Queens on the original 1940s-ish franchise contract. They only started taking credit cards within the last few years, still don't serve food, have outdoor seating only, close for a few months in the winter, etc. The first time I saw a modern Dairy Queen I was a little confused.
catalinajack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 06:44 PM   #35
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDCAVE View Post
...because you don’t have to pay to use the toilet at most malls, restaurants, government buildings, etc. etc. The whole point of the issue is you need to make pumpouts barrier free, and freely available for use.

I remember using the pumpout at the customs dock at the entrance to the Point Roberts Marina. That was free for use and complete with instructions for the technically challenged of us.

Jim
Your analogy doesn't work. No one is asking you to pay to use the toilet on your boat. You need to pay to empty it, just like the malls and restaurants and government buildings pay for sewage. Users don't pay but sewage costs.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 07:01 PM   #36
Guru

City: Sydney
Vessel Name: Sojourn
Vessel Model: Integrity 386
Quote:
Originally Posted by rslifkin View Post
.... The first time I saw a modern Dairy Queen I was a little confused.
I was confused the first time I saw a Drag Queen.
Recently I discovered that for all the proud boasts of Sydney Water, in Sydney we do some filtering but essentially the stuff gets pumped out some miles offshore. Except when it rains heavily, the system gets overpowered with rainwater, and Sydney Harbour gets some virtually raw sewage .
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 07:22 PM   #37
Guru

City: Coupeville Wa.
Vessel Name: Pacific Myst
Vessel Model: West Bay 4500
I paid for my septic system and I pay for it's maintenance. When I lived hooked up to municipal sewage system I paid a monthly fee. I don't expect to get free pump outs. I do expect that if I'm required to use pump outs they be easy to access and in good working order.
Portage_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 09:59 PM   #38
Guru

City: Inside Passage Summer/Columbia River Winter
Vessel Name: Alaskan Sea-Duction
Vessel Model: 1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
All this doesn't affect us anyway. We dump before we enter Juan De Fuca Straight, then wait until we enter in to Canada. Sort of ceremonial for us. Dumping our crap to float south with the San Jauns in sight. Just say'n
Alaskan Sea-Duction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2020, 02:12 AM   #39
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskan Sea-Duction View Post
All this doesn't affect us anyway. We dump before we enter Juan De Fuca Straight, then wait until we enter in to Canada. Sort of ceremonial for us. Dumping our crap to float south with the San Jauns in sight. Just say'n

Ditto. I’m usually in Canada on day two so not a problem other than the rare South Sound cruises. And then, you do what you gotta do.
Old 01-19-2020, 02:15 AM   #40
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RT Firefly View Post
Greetings,
Mr. 36. Sorry. Unacceptable to me. I'll pay whatever $$ before I pollute my waterway in spite of what anyone "has" to do. There is ALWAYS an option. You are part of the problem.

And Where do you boat Enigma?