Old 01-20-2018, 08:48 AM   #1
Veteran Member

City: Atlantic coast
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 48
How do you set your anchor?

Once enough scope is out we secure the rode and keep the boat moving very slowly backwards until the anchor catches. Then we gradually throttle up in reverse to 1000-1200 rpm. This will get the chain fairly tight. If conditions warrant (expecting a windy anchorage) maybe go to 1400-1500 rpm.

Powering up in reverse is gradual-keeping chain taut until desired rpm reached. Does anyone let the rode go slack a bit and then resume reverse to snatch the chain taut a little bit?

Boat is powered by a single John Deere 6068TFM - 158 HP.
Coastal Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 09:08 AM   #2
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48 (sold)
We drop, idle back, when chain tight shut down. Never grasped the rationale of higher RPM backing down in 360 degree swing areas where we commonly anchor.
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 09:13 AM   #3
Guru

City: Kilmarnock VA
Vessel Name: Wandering Star
Vessel Model: PSN40
We drop the anchor until it hits bottom, back down until the desired amount of scope is achieved, secure the rode & back down hard. If it doesn't set, repeat. Done. No need for a short essay regarding our technique...
Old 01-20-2018, 09:41 AM   #4
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by boomerang View Post
We drop the anchor until it hits bottom, back down until the desired amount of scope is achieved, secure the rode & back down hard. If it doesn't set, repeat. Done. No need for a short essay regarding our technique...

Please define “hard”.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 09:50 AM   #5
Guru

City: Kilmarnock VA
Vessel Name: Wandering Star
Vessel Model: PSN40
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhays View Post
Please define “hard”.
Hard enough to set the anchor.
Old 01-20-2018, 10:59 AM   #6
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Veerryyy Sloowlly ...

I get on my reenforced rubber gloves and go out on the bow. Open the box w the rode in it and pull out the chain and wire rope (3’). Then go back and canoiter w Chris at the helm through the window. When we are stopped at the preferred drop spot (established prior by going around the anchorage staring at the GPS and the shore). I go fwd and lower the anchor paying out the rode. Faster if it’s windy .. slower if not. When the anchor hits bottom I pick it up about a foot and give Chris the back down very slowly hand signal. When I see a bit of way on I slowly pay out some rode keeping the anchor on the botton just barely. This way we lay out the rode basically in a straight line w the anchor shank pointing at the boat. Then I pull a small amount of tension and feel the bottom through the rode and have an Idea what it’s like especially if it’s rocky. Very rare in the PNW. After the rode gets close to a 45 degree rake to it I pay out line faster w little or no tension. Signal Chris to cut power w enough way on. Power on and off. I make the line fast to my dedicated anchor cleat when (per the marked rode) there is enough line out for one more scope # than we plan to anchor at. 4-1 to anchor at 3-1 ... typical. Then reverse again in and out of gear a few times (2 or three typ) and let soak at idle for a minute or so then increase to 1400rpm until the line gets real tight. 1000rpm is idle. While doing that I pull hard sideways by hand against the line on deck and feel for telltale vibrations and tightness or a tendency to loosen up. After 5 or ten seconds of that I give Chris the cut power signal and secure all loose gear. Turn on the propane for dinner.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 11:35 AM   #7
Guru

City: Kitimat, North Coast BC
Vessel Name: Badger
Vessel Model: 30' Sundowner Tug
We pick out and mark a spot on the ipad using Navionics, do a spin around the area to see if there are any big submerged stumps or rocks on the depth sounder, then my wife eases up to the chosen spot into the wind.

Once there, she stops the boat and I lower the anchor by hand. When the anchor touches bottom I give her the 'ease back slowly' signal and pay out the nylon rode until it's about 1:3 in scope, then I temporarily tie off the line.

At this point I put my hand on the rode where it comes over the anchor pulpit and 'feel the bottom' as the anchor gets pulled, digs in, and the boat stops. Once that happens the rode is untied and my wife continues backing the boat until proper scope is reached, I tie it off, and she gives it another good pull with my hand again on the line as it comes over the pulpit, just to be sure.

Also use a small handheld rangefinder to confirm distances to shore and/or objects.
Old 01-20-2018, 11:48 AM   #8
Guru

City: Alexandria, VA
Vessel Model: 2000 Wellcraft
We back down just hard enough to set the snchor and know it will set in that particular place. Because, as mentioned, if the wind or current changes, it will have to set again anyway.
Group9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 11:51 AM   #9
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in the Great Lakes
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
I own a Rocna. You drop the anchor with 7:1 scope (all chain), attach the snubber, and turn the engine off. Mother nature takes care of the rest.

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 12:18 PM   #10
Guru

I use a Danforth, and it sets itself at about 50-60 feet . Then I let out 100 feet and attach the snubber, then idle in reverse until the snubber takes the load.
jleonard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 12:47 PM   #11
Guru

City: Kenai, Alaska
Vessel Name: Melanie Rose
Vessel Model: 1999 Willard PH
I motor upwind of my desired location, and then turn back downwind (or down current) and take it out of gear while coasting. Drop while still moving and play out enough line to be happy, then cleat off on the Sampson post and watch my rode stretch out and feel the boat pivot on the hook.

I can tell if it's a good set by how the boat stops, pivots, and what the rode does when the hook sets. Another happy Rocna owner, and I usually set at about 4:1 scope unless I expect high winds. I always anchor in protected locations for the night so I get a good nights sleep.

I read an article on the force a couple of knots of momentum puts on the ground tackle, and I am confident of my set when things "look/feel right".
AKDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 12:51 PM   #12
Guru

City: Alexandria, VA
Vessel Model: 2000 Wellcraft
We had a Rocna on our last boat. We have a Mantus on our present one. Both set easily and hold great.
Group9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 01:40 PM   #13
TF Site Team

City: Jacksonville
Quote:
Originally Posted by O C Diver View Post
I own a Rocna. You drop the anchor with 7:1 scope (all chain), attach the snubber, and turn the engine off. Mother nature takes care of the rest.

Ted
Larry M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 01:53 PM   #14
Guru

City: Queensland
Vessel Model: Milkraft 60 converted timber prawn trawler
Manson Supreme.
Drop anchor and chain, attach snubber, let weight of boat, wind and current do the rest.
600 days on anchor and we haven't had a problem yet.

Works well short scoped.
We are currently anchored close to a drying bank so can't afford to swing in, but we are in 10 metres of water, 20 knots of wind and strong tidal current with 180degree reversal every change.
We have 25 metres out and haven't moved an inch in 2 days.

Usual anchoring sees us do 5:1 set.
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 03:50 PM   #15
Guru

City: Between Oregon and Alaska
Vessel Name: Charlie Harper
Vessel Model: Wheeler Shipyard 83'
I freefall the chain where I want the anchor placed, and then back down, at idle on one engine until the hook sets. I usually anchor where wind is from a constant direction. In areas with strong tidal currents, I use a stern anchor.
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 04:35 PM   #16

City: Toronto
We get over our spot into the wind, let out enough chain + and we pay out as we drift back. When we have enough out, wife stands on the chain and we back down gently, when the chain lifts wife ... we are set and may pay out more if needed. Then it's the celebratory beer / white wine for the wife and it's done. Backing down " hard " never worked for me .....

All this is contingent on not having a piece of sh*t for an anchor or, almost no chain ......
Ex Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 04:42 PM   #17
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Ex Sailor,
Got a pic of wife standing on chain?
Does she use both feet?

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 04:47 PM   #18

City: Toronto
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad Willy View Post
Ex Sailor,
Got a pic of wife standing on chain?
Does she use both feet?

LOL ...... I will try to find one to post and ... yes ! It took awhile, but it's getting down to fine science now ...... FB
Ex Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 04:52 PM   #19
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
I like what an old friend of mine used to say, a guy who literally anchored 100 times a year all over the eastern seaboard. "drop your anchor, pay out your scope. Pour yourself a drink". After sipping that drink, power back a little. Then pour another drink. All chain with a CQR (the horror!) in his case.

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 05:15 PM   #20
TF Site Team

City: Saltspring Island
Vessel Name: Retreat
Vessel Model: C&L 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by O C Diver View Post

Ted
How one anchors is determined so much by your location. Ted is on the East coast, anchors in shallow water.
Eric is on the west coast, in deep water, so what is required is very different.

If I have anchored in the last few years where there was room for a 7:1 scope, I can't recall it.

If I used Eric's technique, or a 7:1 scope as Ted advises, I could use a rock on the end of my chain and I am sure it would hold.